[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Griffon Heat & Mirage Mitigation System
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: can cover.jpg (220 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
can cover.jpg
220 KB, 1024x683
Thoughts /k/? I'm considering getting one of these for my Omega because they are on sale right now.

Is it worth it?

Or is it just a stupid idea that might cause damage to your can because it won't be able to cool off as fast?
>>
>>30633211
God yes if you use a magnified optic.

You get no heat mirrage.

But be warned these are ment for slow fire applications. You can nuke your can having one of these wraps on and mag dumping because it prevents the can from radiating heat very well.

So your barrel and can just get hotter and hotter
>>
>>30633245
>God yes if you use a magnified optic.

I have an Acog.

>But be warned these are ment for slow fire applications. You can nuke your can having one of these wraps on and mag dumping because it prevents the can from radiating heat very well.

It's on a 9" .300 memeout SBR, I don't plan on beating on it.
>>
File: can covers don't cause wear..jpg (2 MB, 2280x1972) Image search: [Google]
can covers don't cause wear..jpg
2 MB, 2280x1972
>>30633211
i like it for removing a hot can but the insulator wears out the cerakote.
>>
>>30633409
that email is hilarious

Look at the inside of a Griffon HMMS though, how the fuck can that possible catch on fire?
>>
I've never understood the point in putting cans on the end of 1000 yard+ competition rifles.

If it creates mirage, why do it? You wear earpro anyway.

All I can think of is that the people with expensive sub-MOA target rifles also have the dosh for a can and only use them because they can.
>>
File: 20160715_155635 (2500x1406).jpg (2 MB, 2500x1406) Image search: [Google]
20160715_155635 (2500x1406).jpg
2 MB, 2500x1406
>>30633548
i think he meant the outer shell, mine melted.
i have a rifles only had and it has the same interior.

i think most people don't realize that these can covers can get really, really hot.
>>
>>30633211
Getting a can is never worth it, unless you're being pestered by neighbours or something.
>>
>>30633738
>Getting a can is never worth it
said not can owner ever
>>
>>30633571
>often good recoil reduction, sometimes better than brakes
>nicer sound imo
>could give slightly more velocity
>dust doesnt blow up much like most brakes would do
>>
>>30633746
I have one. It's useless and I never use it.

What now?
>>
>>30633811
What brand? What caliber? Post pics.
>>
>>30633211
Can cozies are useful for 3 things

1. Reducing mirage in long range shooting.
2. Preventing the suppressor from kissing team mates, the inside of a car, etc.
3. Taking pictures of your rifle with it on for the aesthetic

That's it. Outside of those three things, leave it off.
>>
File: 2015-02-05 11.24.39.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
2015-02-05 11.24.39.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>30633825
BR tuote reflex suppressor, 7.62
>>
>>30633864
you are the exception to the rule

>>30633863
4-removing/handling a hot can
>>
>>30633863
>>30634096
>>30633809

Other than to guard against how hot the can is... I could see shooting with a sling, dropping the weapon, and then the can touches you, with the cover, it wouldn't burn the shit out of you

I have an Acog, so is the mirage bullshit actually that big of deal?
>>
>>30633864
>can i've never heard of
>not suppressing something worth suppressing like my .300 memeout

no wonder why you think it's pointless
>>
>>30634135
>I have an Acog, so is the mirage bullshit actually that big of deal?
not so much with a 4x but it's still noticeable
>>
>>30634160

Then educate yourself.
http://guns.connect.fi/rs/Reflex.html
>.300BLK
>literally 7.62x39 re-engineered

It's not about the quietness, it's the fact that the tradeoffs for suppression are not worth it. Unless you're being bothered by neighbours, like I said.
>>
>>30634213
you are correct, .300 is basically 762x39 engineered to be suppressed

but if you've shot .300 subs with an Omega, your dick will be diamonds with how quiet it is

it's insane, only thing quieter is my .22 can.
>>
>>30634391

About as quiet as 7.62x39 subsonic. But seriously, what benefit do you even get from having a quiet rifle?
>>
>>30634429
>not appreciating the joy of shooting without ear pro
>not recognizing the importance of shooting from an unidentifiable position during a happening
>>
>>30634605
You won't have all the rifles and handguns you have suppressed with subsonics, or someone else will have an unsuppressed rifle, so you'll end up wearing earpro anyway. And you'll get more gas blowback which if nothing else makes the cleaning a bitch, increased bolt velocity = more wear, more lenght and more weight. Wow, such useful.

And did the happening happen when I wasn't looking? No? Then why are you bringing it up?
>>
>>30635982
it's coming soon anon, don't you watch the news?
>>
>>30636640
No, actually.
>>
File: 1k suppressed - 3.jpg (73 KB, 704x960) Image search: [Google]
1k suppressed - 3.jpg
73 KB, 704x960
>>30635982
You may not have all your firearms with subsonic rounds but even if you are shooting supersonic rounds in the event of a HD shooting your hearing won't be as fucked for not wearing ear pro. In my case I use a PCC with subsonic 158s with a 3 lug Octane 45hd and it is fucking quiet and it'll put something down still in the event of a home invasion or a stray animal attacking one of my other animals.

With more blow back you then use it on firearms that have the ability to bleed off excess gas. Now in the case of aks and their ilk or new guns like the hkmr762 where they cannot bleed off excess gas then you are left with either shooting without a suppressor or using a reflex to reduce backpressure, all at the expense of a louder overall suppressor. maybe that is why you aren't impressed with shooting suppressed since your suppressor just isn't that quiet.

When needing to clean suppressed guns I tend to use a foaming cleaner to make the overall process as easy and simple as possible so it really doesn't bother me. Hell even on guns like the ar15 you can go a long time before needing to clean them. I have an ar15 that went at least 1k rounds suppressed and still kept on shooting. I only cleaned it because it eventually triggered my tisms.
>>
>>30633211
Militiaman get out reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>30633296
Acg on 9 inch why man
>>
>>30638768
not just a 9 inch, a 9 inch 300
>>
>>30638768
300 memeout is supposed to be a SBR

and my Acog has a 300memeout reticle

what's wrong with an Acog on a 9 inch?
>>
>>30639801
nothing
>>
>>30638451

>it'll put something down still in the event of a home invasion or a stray animal attacking one of my other animals.
Yeah, "home invasion". Sure, I guess. You'd better still have ear protection, in case the invaders shoot back.

>With more blow back you then use it on firearms that have the ability to bleed off excess gas. Now in the case of aks and their ilk or new guns like the hkmr762 where they cannot bleed off excess gas then you are left with either shooting without a suppressor or using a reflex to reduce backpressure, all at the expense of a louder overall suppressor.
ARs get increased gas blowback and bolt velocity as well, unless you tune them for suppressors, in which case the weapon won't cycle at all.

>maybe that is why you aren't impressed with shooting suppressed since your suppressor just isn't that quiet.
No. I can turn off the gas system altogether, eliminating sound from the action cycling.
>>
>bolt cycle speed is increased causing wear and tear
Not with a Pass Through suppressor
>>
>>30640109
>ARs get increased gas blowback and bolt velocity as well, unless you tune them for suppressors, in which case the weapon won't cycle at all.

not relevant for 300 blackout
>>
>>30633211
>$95 for some silica header tape, small tube of nylon, and elastic bands
If you really want one, just make it yourself for $10. Actually, it would work better if you just used heat tape and steel wire, that way there would be nothing to melt after sustained fire.
>>
>>30640561
>not relevant for 300 blackout

Yes, because .300 BLK is a magical cartridge to which laws of physics do not apply.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.