[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shotgun Recommendation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
File: 870WoodHomeProtection.png (99 KB, 800x161) Image search: [Google]
870WoodHomeProtection.png
99 KB, 800x161
I'm looking for a shotgun for home protection and for final exit. I don't plan on dying in a nursing home.

Don't know shit about shotguns or where to buy one conveniently.

Any suggestions?
>>
If you want to die from a gunshot wound join Dallas PD, don't kill yourself.
>>
>>30632713

I like the idea of taking a bunch of chimps out with me but I'm too old to qualify. I'm not ready to leave anytime soon, i just want for it to be on my terms.
>>
Cant go wrong with a Mossberg 500, get the 590 if you got a hard on for heatshields.

I personally love wood furnature on a shotgun but that is just me. Get whatever shitty polymer you want.

Do not fall for the remington 870 meme, if you can find a used one in good condition from the 80's pier do it but their quality control has gone to such shit recently. So if buying new expect rusting right out of the box.
>>
>>30632701
I have a Winchester SXP and it's been great for me and came in at quality-pump prices (300ish). That said if I could go back I would get a Mossberg 500 or Maverick 88. Just better after market support
>>
File: mossberg-590a1-sights.jpg (959 KB, 1200x798) Image search: [Google]
mossberg-590a1-sights.jpg
959 KB, 1200x798
>>30632701
Mossberg 590A1, high quality and has a bayonet lug.

Avoid current production Remingtons, their company has been a shitshow for the past 8 or so years.

I hope you can talk things out with your family regarding high age, they could, if reasonable, spring for an actually nice home, or a live in nurse or something. Either way, I'm also not saying this isn't for you to choose.
>>
File: RG500.7.jpg (54 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
RG500.7.jpg
54 KB, 800x600
>>30632752

How do you handle the recoil from one of these things?
>>
Definitely Mossberg
Quality is better than the recent Remingtons, plus having a safety right on your thumb is really nice, don't have to adjust your grip to take it on/off safety

I'm actually looking to get a Mossberg myself after handling both and shooting a Remington

I've been reccomended getting one with Ghost Ring sights, and I want to get a pistol grip + stock instead of a rifle stock. Other shit like a longer magazine tube and accuchoke or some other choke system is just icing on the cake.

tl;dr Get a Mossberg with Ghost Rings and whatever kind of stock you prefer
>>
File: 111111111111111111111111111111.jpg (104 KB, 500x430) Image search: [Google]
111111111111111111111111111111.jpg
104 KB, 500x430
>>30632814
Preferably like this.
>>
>>30632814
You put a real stock on it.
>>
>>30632797

Thanks for your kind comments. I have been the sole caregiver for my totally paralyzed wife for about 10 years now. I don't want to go through that or put anyone else through it. I want the option to go out with dignity on my own terms.
>>
>>30632701
my recommendation would be a mossberg 590 mariner. They're aesthetic asf without wood furniture, and require less maintenance.
If you're gonna an hero when you get old go skydiving and dont pull the chute, or something like that. do something cool with your death
>>
>>30632855

Are the stocks interchangeable? Seems I'd want a stock for home defense and take it off for exit.
>>
>>30632859
Aw shit, that really sucks old man, but yeah I can see how you come to the terms you do.

You're a good man for taking care of your wife for all this time.

What'll happen to your stuff after you pass, have you written up a will and all? Who'll get the exit gun afterwards?

I hope you're considerate when it comes time for you to do this and make sure to do this in a way which is easy to take care of, lay out a tarp, leave a letter explaining why, etc.
>>
>>30632878

No, shotgun is statistically the most successful method. You don't want to fail and end up worse off.
>>
>>30632855
Not if you don't have your NFA paperwork, son.

It's a "firearm" for lacking a shoulder stock and having a 26" overall length.
You put a stock on that and it's a "Short Barreled Shotgun", which is illegal as fuck without proper paperwork.

>>30632878
Worst case he ends up paralyzed like his wife, not an appealing prospect.
>>
>>30632904
>Who'll get the exit gun afterwards?

LOL! Only on /k/ would this be a consideration.

Everything else, I don't care. The state can have it.
>>
>>30632941
Breh, don't let the state have it, they don't deserve shit, will it all to whatever person you like the most (neighbor or whatever), if they don't want it, they can sell it all off and you've given them the gift of a big chunk of disposable income, which is very noble.
>>
>>30632797

As much as I like this fun, I'm really not in the position to spend upwards of $600 for a shotgun.

Is there a cheaper alternative that can still have a good range of after market parts?
>>
>>30633182
Mossberg 500 is a cheaper version.
Mossberg also makes the Maverick 88, which is even cheaper, but still good.
>>
>>30632939

Pardon my ignorance but would the pistol grip model serve for home defense? And I assume i don't need a permit for it?

is there some gas cylinder arrangement that absorbs the recoil?
>>
Ithaca Model 37 Defense. You can modify it to slam fire too. You can make it into either a WWII or Vietnam stye trench gun in the future.
>>
>>30632797
>Mossberg 590A1

What do you think of this:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/570089279
>>
File: git.jpg (56 KB, 328x464) Image search: [Google]
git.jpg
56 KB, 328x464
>>30632814
>>
>>30633238
Don't forget that the bottom ejection makes it practical for left and right handed shooting.
>>
for a cheaper option and a clone of the remignton 870 but actually functions well the inter arms hawk 982 is a decent pick for only around $180-200

I own an 870 and I must say they are shit.

They rust easily, and have polishing issues inside the bore, as well as having MIM extractors and shitty followers.

Unless you get a police magnum 870 or a wingmaster or just an older one predating 2004 you arent gonna get a good model and will need to buy some parts and some elbow grease to get it up to par of those models.

otherwise just get amossberg 500/590a1
>>
>>30632701
>>30632752

if poorfag the Mossberg Maverick 88 is essentially a 500 clone. Just bought mine for $250 at a pawn shop and that's honestly overpaying by a mile. Dependable and scary.
>>
>>30632814
don't be a fucking pussy
>>
>>30633790
+1 on the Hawk 982. The H&R Pardner pump is the exact same thing just sold by a different company.

Both are super solid and have smoother actions than 870s. Everything but the barrels are compatible with standard 870 parts as well.
>>
>>30633214
The little stubby gun up there with the birdshead grip gets around NFA definition by not technically being defined as a shotgun, just a "firearm" that happens to shoot shotgun shells.

They're a fun novelty, but I would seriously not try to rely on one for HD if I could help it.

>is there some gas cylinder arrangement that absorbs the recoil?
No, they're a plain pump gun with a 14" barrel and without a stock, recoil will be harsher in anything much larger than birdshot.

>>30633368
Do it, man, that's a damn good price for it.
>>
>>30632814
These 14" barrel pump guns are kind of like the AK pistols of shotguns, it's short, but you can't shoulder it and really it's just for fun unless you get the paperwork to put a stock on it.
>>
>>30634037
>damn good price
lol
>tfw there's a dick's near me selling a 500 with a heat shield and an 8 shell magazine tube and a ghost ring for 359
Probably gonna buy it, but they said they're getting a brand new one in about a week for the same price because the one they currently have has some scratches. If they don't get rid of the scratched up one then I'll probably try to get that one at a discount since they're just cosmetic scratches.
>>
>>30632701
Ithaca 37. Lets you dick down several nogs in rapid succession without the pricetag of a semi automatic shotgun
>>
>>30634423
>>30633238
>>30633617
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO-DkeMTpjM
The 37 worked as an excellent trench shotgun in both WWII and Vietnam. I believe you have to modify the new ones to allow slam firing like in the above video, but it is a nice feature to have.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.