[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How long should I wait for a smith to install night sights on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: john-lackey.gif (979 KB, 400x316) Image search: [Google]
john-lackey.gif
979 KB, 400x316
How long should I wait for a smith to install night sights on my Glock 19? It's been almost a week and he said i'm in the middle of the "queue", i.e. there are other guns ahead of me.

After another week should I just take my business elsewhere?
>>
>>30599867
dudes either extremely busy or just lazy as fuck. LGS put nightsights on my Glock 17 in about 2 hours
>>
>>30599877
Gotta love waiting for shit that they could do while you're in the shop.

You could get a vasectomy in leas time that it'll take a Smith to get around to it or you could do it yourself. But first come first serve
>>
>>30600000
>>30599999
>>
Unrelated question. Is it possible to change out the sights with a cheap ass hobby vise?

Picked up a $24 craftsman vise from an ace hardware store that may or may not be able to do it. I want to replace some of my pistol sights but don't want to be fucked if I have to send it to a smith or need a $200 heavy duty gunsmithing vise.
>>
>>30600190

with the proper tools, and soft jaws in your vise, its entirely possible.

get some delrin and brass punchs, and a good hammer.
>>
>>30600228
Bought some shitty dasco punches too but I haven't opened them and I'll be returning them soon since I did some research on them.

I want some good quality punches along with a delrin punch, is this a good set? I don't know shit about punches but I heard from a few places that lyman makes good quality shit.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/lyman-deluxe-hammer-punch-set-7031298.html
>>
>>30600088
their gunsmith is a cool dude who actually talks to me and other customers instead of just fudding out and mean mugging everyone so i do what i can to help.

when he quit i and a pretty good handful of people stopped going there for the same reason. Owner doesn't need our money
>>
I put a set of night sights on my CZ P07 myself

It's really not for the faint of heart, but it's possible.

>bought custom night sights since lolminimalaftermarket
>rear sight went fine, standard dovetail so drift that shit in with a big brass punch
>front sight was a bitch, ended up accidentally cracking Trijicon insert
>lost all illumination in exactly 24 hours

Company (not Trijicon) sent me another front sight free of charge, and that one went in fine but was still a bitch

>got Norton India stone, oil up that shit
>stone down the bottom of the sight forever, finally started to get sight in by hand
>longitudinal dovetail, can't really use a sight pusher
>starting to get impatient, just got off work and tired
>grab a piece of 5.56 brass and a hammer
>tappy tap tap in to place, shaving off the extra material from the sight with the slide dovetail
>axle grease save me from galling please

Still glowing bright to this day, and that was three months ago. In hindsight, I'd bring it to a smith the next time I need to work with a longitudinal sight dovetail.

Back on topic, give your smith a little more time. You're not the only customer he has, and I'm speaking from experience.
>>
Holy fuck. Wat. I installed night sights without the proper tools in like fucking 10 minutes. You just have to get something soft to knock out the rear sight, and knock in the night sight one. Then, you unscrew the front sight from the bottom. I didn't have the actual tool to do so, so I went to home depot, bought a bit that would fit over, dremelled that bit so it would be thin enough, and installed it myself
>>
My lgs did it for free in 10 minutes
>>
>>30600429
>dude it's fucking easy
>all I did was use my special tool that nobody really has
>worked for me

gfys
>>
5 minutes if you have a sight pusher..... which 99% of gunsmiths would have for Glawk sights.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.