[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Very specific Specifications
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: M77FR_right.jpg (20 KB, 1289x217) Image search: [Google]
M77FR_right.jpg
20 KB, 1289x217
Hello /k/. I am looking for a way to find out very precise information about guns. More specifically how thick the barrel and barrel walls are, depth of rifling and type of steel used. However everytime I try to google it I end up on pages that only offer basic info and no real info on such things. Can you help me?
>>
which guns, specifically?
>>
File: model-1842.jpg (66 KB, 1023x158) Image search: [Google]
model-1842.jpg
66 KB, 1023x158
>>30595824
Muskets. The springfield model 1842 for example and other 60-grain ones. Anything that used black powder too, but those are the main ones.
>>
Still havent found shit. I guess I will have to resort to measuring the pixels in a photograph and trying to guess the diameter and thickness of the thing.
>>
Not everything is on the internet. Try a book.
>>
>>30596107
Can't you just go to a gun store that sells muskets and politely ask if you can make a few measurements?

That said replicas are usually a little different than the originals.
>>
>buy a musket
>buy a micrometer
>take measurements

If you aren't trying to make one because you cant afford one, I think this is the best way, otherwise just guess
>>
File: sad3reichpepe.jpg (60 KB, 736x914) Image search: [Google]
sad3reichpepe.jpg
60 KB, 736x914
>>30596134
>>30596149
>>30596149

>Gunstores
>In Brazil

Not gonna happen. I will just try to get the measurements on photos. Maybe one of you herre has a musket and is kind enough to share the measurements.
>>
>>30596180
I have a repro 1842 made by armisport no idea how similar it is to a real one though
>>
>>30596219
Does it shoot? Using black powder? If so it will do.

It doesnt NEED to be a model 1842. Any 60 grain percursion lock musket will do.
>>
>>30595807
>springfield model 1842
found one with a description
>rifled with three grooves, .36” wide and 0.005” deep at the muzzle

You gotta realize that the whole concept of "interchangeable parts" was still a work-in-progress at this point, so some of the barrels had thicker walls than others.
>>
>>30596180
I don't care what shithole you live in, there is not a single country in the world that doesn't have gun stores and some form of legal gun ownership, maybe except for the North Korea. I'm not from US either.

Just look for a nearest gun store, even if it happens to be in another city, as long as you don't act like a freak and explain I don't see why they would refuse to let you take a few measurments, especially since you owuldn't be asking for a musket if you were a potential criminal.

Also you might want to look for a shooting range if there is any nearby.

Hell maybe you could even visti a museum with firearms and ask someone if you could take a few measurments or if they could do it for you.

Alternatively you might want to visit a library.
>>
>>30595862
those are going to be hard questions to answer without primary research. you're probably going to need to arrange with a museum to measure for most of those answers. or you might get lucky calling the springfield armory museum, after you've exhausted every option searching their online archives.
http://ww3.rediscov.com/spring/spring.htm

here's some rifling info from one example.
>The Barrel on this rifle is the original 1853 dated barrel that was subsequently rifled with three grooves, .36” wide and 0.005” deep at the muzzle
probably started at 0.015" deep at the chamber
https://www.newmarketarms.com/rare-springfield-rifled-sighted-model-1842-musket-p-1212.html
>>
>>30596236
yeah it shoots its a smoothbore though so i cant help you with the rifling
>>
Need someone with calipers
>>
>>30596258
I actually found the rifling with some research. It's 0,005'' deep and with a turn of 1,92''. I just need the barrel thicknes and such now.
>>
>>30596272
inside diameter is 0.69 outside diameter is 0.83 barrel walls are 0.08 these are in inches though so if you need millimeters let me know and my calipers are shitty so take these measurements with a grain of salt
>>
>>30596439
Everything in Brazil is metric, so milimeters would be best.

I will make the barrel a little thicker just to be safe tough.
>>
>>30596454
inside diameter is 17.5 mm outside is 21 mm walls are 2 mm
>>
>>30596492
Thank you. I will make the barrel 3mm thick just to be safe. Will post contruction photos and such when its finished. I think /k/ will like it.
>>
>>30596512
You are trying to make your own?
>>
>>30596492
The alloy and heat treatment used will drastically affect strength of the steel and determine what wall thick is required. If you want to do a quick check to be sure you are safe, chamber pressures should be probably somewhere in the range of 15,000 psi (100MPa) maximum though you should do some research to verify. The barrel is a simple pressure vessel and can be sized with a simple hand calculation. I would use a factor of safety of at least 3.

Mil handbook 5 is available online and has material properties for many different metals. A simple Google search will yield results for pressure vessel stress analysis (make sure you use the right equation as there is a difference for thin vs. thick walled cylinders) and then the equations are just plug and chug.
>>
>>30596512
You got a single-point rifling machine made?
>>
>>30596439
>>30596454
>>30596492
>>30596512
This is the thickness at the muzzle... Are you planning on making a tapered barrel?
>>
>>30597186
Most of the pressure happens in the chamber. BP burns quick.
>>
>>30597237
Yes, peak pressure occurs at the chamber end. Which is why barrel walls tend to be thicker there. That it's black powder doesn't change that, except that smokeless usually gives higher peak pressures on account of its higher energy density.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.