[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /k/ Going to Buds Gun Shop in Lexington, KY this Thursday
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: 162411_01_lg.jpg (52 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
162411_01_lg.jpg
52 KB, 600x600
Hey /k/

Going to Buds Gun Shop in Lexington, KY this Thursday to put a few handguns for my everyday carry in my hands and get a feel for them, have any suggestions? I've had my eye on a Governor considering its a revolver that accepts .410, .45 LC, and .45 ACP, but I'm also eyeing a Kimber 1911 I saw as well.

Also, what do you carry on the daily and how do you carry it?
>>
>>30592206
>Kimber
Don't. It's shit quality these days.
>>
>>30592252
Fug, for real? I was under the impression their quality standard was the tops for 1911's.

In that case, which 1911 manufacturer would you recommend?

>inb4 Colt

They are some of the shadiest arms dealers in the US, give no shits about the stores and probably the people that buy their products.
>>
>>30592206
i have a govna. i got it as a gift and its not really my thing. if you like it and want to carry it go for it. i dont really have anything bad to say about it other then the screw that holds the cylinder release comes loose rather easily but im sure some lock tight would take care of that.
>>
>>30592206
The governor is a good revolver but I would't carry it (and I carry a wheelgun)
>>
>>30592206
>Revolver
>.410 or .45LC
>For EDC

>Kimber
>1911
>For EDC

Just get a fucking Glock (19 or 26) or a Springfield XD (4" or 3" model)

You will literally hate yourself later if you get an xboxhueg revolver that fires a clown caliber or a shitty jam-o-matic 1911 as your first EDC gun.
>>
>>30592382
I feel you on the other calibers, but the thing that sets it apart is the fact it can also fire .45 ACP. I wouldn't have even considered the notion if it didn't, the .410 and .45 LC are just added versatility. Also, why so down on the 1911? There's got to be something to it considering it's a model of handgun that has been manufactured for over a century, still is, and has ample parts available at any gun store. It can't be that bad.
>>
>>30592442
>Also, why so down on the 1911
/k/ hates Kimber. Also a 1911 is pretty big for EDC.
>>
>>30592442
>it's a model of handgun that has been manufactured for over a century, still is, and has ample parts available at any gun store.
>It can't be that bad
It sure fucking is.
Which is why everybody dropped it 50 years ago and no respectable standing army issues it anymore.

Just because something was popular 50 or 100 years ago doesn't mean it's that good compared to the upgraded designs that the rise of technology in the past 50 to 100 years ago has brought on.
Sure I mean the 1911 was a good gun back in 1911, even through WW2, because it was one of the only guns available at the time.
>>
>>30592382
Also, like to add, I'm not really wanting a striker fire weapon. I've yet to pick one up that I like the trigger pull on, I don't like the fact that I can't decock them without taking out the magazine and emptying the chamber, and frankly, I like my gun to have a little heft. Pistol whipping someone with a Glock sounds like a lot more effort if put in that position than something with a mostly metal construction.
>>
>>30592493
Why so? I know that they're a tad on the expensive side for a older model handgun, but everyone I've talked to that owned one loves and swears by theirs.

>>30592498
Don't get me wrong, we have made leaps and bounds in creating better weapons since the 1911, but just because the Army doesn't use them anymore doesn't mean it's not a viable option. I can't tell you how many veterans I've talked to that were issued their Beretta M9 and were displeased that it simply was just not enough stopping power for their tastes.
>>
>>30592549
>Can't be decocked
But why would you want to do that in the first place though? Unless you're completely irresponsible and are likely to let your kid play with it or something, in which case you shouldn't be buying a gun in the first place

>le pistol whip meme
Just fucking shoot them. Pistol whipping isn't a thing.
If they're a legitimate threat to the point that you feel the need to still give them a beat-down, shoot them and neutralize the threat.
If they're not enough of a threat to shoot, just punch them in the teeth.

If you are dumb enough to pistol whip somebody, you're not going to break any modern gun.

It seems like I'm not going to be able to talk you out of this, so just do whatever you want, because you're going to anyway

>>30592592
>"""""STOPPING POWAH"""""
I'm convinced you're just a simple troll now, please go away
>>
>>30592592
who knows. im still wondering what the obsession with dragon dildos is all about.
>>
Buy a sig.
Any sig.
Compact sig.
Full size sig.
1911 sig.
Be happy with sig.
>>
>>30592661
>I'm a newfag hurr hurr
Which explains why you don't know why carrying a revolver or a KIMBER 1911 is a terrible choice

The only advice I can give you at this point is the read tons and tons of reviews about any gun before you buy one, the more recent the review the better. And also read up on the person reviewing the gun to make sure they aren't just glorified salesmen (looking at you Sootch). If they never have anything bad to say about a gun or never give a gun a bad review no matter how bad it is, ignore them and move on.

Oh yeah, lurk moar newfaggot
>>
>>30592610
>completely ignores other things I mentioned that I don't like about striker fire weapons
>implies that one can never run out of bullets in any situation
>would rather hit someone with their fist rather than a chunk of metal if given the option
>disregards the opinions of trained combat veterans of the US Army and Marine Corp

Tell me another one Mr. Armchair General or better yet, just fuck off.
>>
>>30592498
Marines issue a 1911 with RAILZ. 45 MEU I think it's called?
>>
>>30592690
To add:
Buy 9mm sig barrel.
Buy .40sw sig barrel.
Buy .357sig sig barrel.
Place any of these barrels in your double stack magazine sig.
Enjoy many rounds of all bullets.
>>
>>30592694
please tell me where i said carry a 1911.
>>
>>30592206
Hope you got a stack of money to wave in their faces to actually get service.
>>
>>30592694
Pretty much the reason I came here, to talk to people instead of searching aimlessly through countless reviews of people who bought their weapons for sometimes the dumbest of reasons like aesthetics or like you said, plain and blatant salesmen shilling bullshit.

>>30592690
I've got to say, my friend has a full size Sig for at home protection and it felt pretty decent in my hand, though I've never fired it, but it's definitely a manufacturer I've heard nothing but good things about.
>>
>>30592695
If you don't carry enough ammo in the first place (like if you're carrying a revolver or single-stack 1911, both limited to about 7 rounds MAXIMUM), you're fucked regardless.
If you're out of ammo and someone is still attacking you and is within distance for you to physically hit them, it's over, RIP in peace, goodbye.

I didn't say I'd rather hit someone with a fist than with a gun, you should shoot them if they still pose enough of a threat to your life that you need to take deadly force to stop them. If they aren't enough of a threat that you need to shoot them, then you should hit them with a haymaker.
Pistol-whipping in only a thing in games and movies, if you have to present your firearm it should be to shoot some motherfucker with it.

>implying old fart Army vets and marinefags know anything about guns in the real world

>>30592698
Like I said, no respectable army uses it
>>
>>30592733
You're the OP, right?

>>30592206
>for my everyday carry in my hands and get a feel for them
>Had my eye on a Governor
>I'm also eyeing a Kimber 1911
>>
File: 1441077880434.gif (1 MB, 280x210) Image search: [Google]
1441077880434.gif
1 MB, 280x210
>>30592765
you cant even follow a thread and im the newfag
>>
>>30592740
Customize your sig.
Short reset trigger for sig? Sig has that.
Dove tail comfort? Sig has that.
Easily swapped grips for a custom, perfect fit to your hand? Sig has that.

Tell me why you don't have a sig yet?
>>
>>30592738
Fuck... I was afraid someone is going to say that. Really, I understand their plight, they get people in there all the time that are just browsing and are doing exactly what I'm going to do, and I'm sure it's tedious as all hell having to show plebs proper gun etiquette and trigger discipline but goddamn, its YOUR FUCKING JOB. Why the fuck would you even work in a gun store if you didn't have a love for guns and wanting to teach people about them?

>>30592707
The more you talk about it, the more appealing you are making them sound anon. Have any experience firing one with a suppressor?
>>
>>30592755
Nice meme, but let's hear an argument as to why US Marine Corps is not a respectable armed service fully capable of fighting and winning wars, and hear some examples of actually "respectable" armies.
>>
>>30592787
You want quiet sig for a carry? SIG HAS THAT.

You want silenced .22 plinker? SIG HAS THAT.

My carry is a 226 full size in .40sw. I have the .357sig barrel but never use cause goddamn expensive to shoot. Just a faster 9mm round.

In additional seriousness. I have a silenced mosquito and it's satisfying to shoot.
>>
>>30592549
> I'm not really wanting a striker fire weapon. I've yet to pick one up that I like the trigger pull on, I don't like the fact that I can't decock them

have you looked at the p99?
>>
>>30592755
Yeah, because you always always get attacked by ONE person, every shot you take ALWAYS makes its target, and a gun is always enough to deter one or several people. Though that is the desired course of action so not to hit any pedestrians that may be about or cause property damage, that is not always the case. By the sounds of it, you've never been to a gun range and missed what you were aiming at before in your life, or ever punched another human being with your bare hands. All you have offered to this conversation is "GET A GLOCK" and "THE MARINE CORP SUCKS"

>>30592783
Keep going, I'm at half mast as I type
>>
>>30592828
God tier lock up for a 22. I still compete with a ruger 22/45 but the mosquito is a very fun gun.
>>
>>30592854
I've seen it before, but I've never held one in my hand. Seems like it has quite a few variant models on the action, I'll have do some more research but I'll definitely put it on my list.

>>30592828
Noice, what model silencer did you go with? That was on my list after I squared this purchase away, either that or the Ruger 22/45 like >>30592863 mentioned.
>>
>>30592856
You want rail system for sig?
You want flashlight or laser beams?
You want bayonet? (sig probly has that)
You want easily swapped sights?
You shoot left handed?
You want thumb decocker and mag release on other side?

SIG. HAS. THAT.
>>
>>30592856
>always always get attacked by ONE person, every shot you take ALWAYS makes its target, and a gun is always enough to deter one or several people
That's what I'm trying to say though.

All jokes aside, why would you willingly carry something that is low-capacity (revolver, 1911) when you know that criminals attack in groups sometimes and around 1/3 of rounds fired in a gunfight miss their target entirely.
So why wouldn't you choose something with a higher capacity than 7 rounds, and that's a lot more concealable than a huge-ass revolver or a huge-ass 1911?

Seriously tho I'm done trying to convince you, pick whatever gun you want to, but remember that you're gonna have to carry it on a daily basis. Just make sure to remind me when you post the "wah I picked the wrong gun for carry" thread in a month or so.

Trust me here anon, my first handgun was a full-size metal-frame single-stack 9mm, and I hated it. Too big to carry, too heavy, too low capacity (8 rounds).
So then I chose a smaller steel-frame revolver, which I also hated. Too heavy, too low capacity (6 rounds).

There's a reason polymer-framed high-capacity semi-autos are so widely used.
Don't limit yourself on something you're going to be carrying daily like I did.

Or what do I know, maybe you'll love it. Do whatever, you're pushing my reasons aside anyway.
>>
>>30592382

Funny, my first pistols were a Judge and a 1911

Only regrets are not getting 3" chambers on the judge
>>
>>30592905
YHM
>>
File: 2016-07-12 04.05.32.jpg (2 MB, 2122x1192) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-12 04.05.32.jpg
2 MB, 2122x1192
You want squishy rubber grips? Got that.
You want sandpaper plastic grips? Got that.
You want sexy fucking wood grips? Got that.

>pic very related
>>
>>30592981
>You want FeO2? Got that
>>
File: Laughing Zergs.png (320 KB, 449x401) Image search: [Google]
Laughing Zergs.png
320 KB, 449x401
>>30592986
#REKT
>>
>>30592986
Salty little kid.
>>
>>30592755
I think you're responding to a troll
>>
Buds sucks, go to Whittakers instead
>>
File: image.jpg (690 KB, 3000x1989) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
690 KB, 3000x1989
>>30592281
Because Kimber made its name with high quality and then sent its production to Asia. If you enjoy pot metal get a Kimber. Pic fucking related.

Get a Colt or Springfield for 1911. Get glock for generic but fuck huge aftermarket.
>>
>>30592206
Get a Governor, you won't be displeased

Thank you for not investing in Taurus shit. <3
>>
>>30592206
Glock is love, Glock is life.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.