[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do gun manufacturers make such ridiculously heavy triggers?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: triggering.gif (95 KB, 276x324) Image search: [Google]
triggering.gif
95 KB, 276x324
Why do gun manufacturers make such ridiculously heavy triggers? Would they really get sued if they put in decent triggers--you know, like the kind we now have to pay gunsmiths to put in after we buy the damn gun?
>>
Yes.
>>
>>30588568
This
It's pretty sad
I want to carry a j frame with a 3 lb trigger straight out of the box
>>
>>30588568
Can you name any particular cases where that actually happened? There's no law that says a trigger has to be above a certain weight, and if it were really a huge liability, gunsmiths would get sued too, but as far as I know, they don't.
>>
>>30588502
Why are your fingers so weak?

>>30588591
You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>30588640
You're right
1.5 lb is what real high speed, low drag oper8ors use
>>
>>30588591
>I want to carry a j frame with a 3 lb trigger straight out of the box
But then you'd need to use a holster...
>>
>>30588640
It is not a matter of strength. A crisp, 3 lb trigger is an aid to marksmanship, and even the best of us need all the help we can get.
>>
>>30588790
J-frame's are built for marksmanship. Buy the right tool for the job. The J-frame triggers can be decent if you practice staging the trigger.
>>
>>30588842
>J-frames are built for marksmanship.
*aren't
>>
>>30588502

Because it keeps the gun cheap. A nice trigger requires more accurate work, usually by hand. Also, some companies do offer a more expensive version of their guns that comes with a trigger that's been worked on. Glocks, M&Ps and similar guns don't come with light triggers because they're marketed as defensive guns for the largest amount of people possible. This least-common denominator demographic would likely put holes in their legs at a higher rate with a crisp, 3 pound trigger, so they come with a 5-6 pound trigger that has some takeup.
>>
>>30588502
Fire only single action then.
I CC a Blackhawk since all my other revolvers are DA/SA, and I always pull the hammer back anyways.
>>
>>30588502
What's it like not being able to pop open a can with such weak fingers?
>>
>>30588888
What a waste of a fucking get.
>>
>>30588625

They cater to governments. There's a lot of agencies that require a certain weight on a trigger pull, generally in deep blue states like New York. The NYPD has like some retarded trigger pull requirements.

Manufacturers would rather it be cheaper for agencies to buy guns so that they win contracts and tell civvies (who will buy the gun anyway but just slap on aftermarket) to fuck themselves.
>>
>>30588867
>so they come with a 5-6 pound trigger that has some takeup
That people still put holes in their legs with AND Glock has been sued over.
>>
>>30588907
Don't hate on me mr weak fingers.
>>
>>30588888

Witnessed
>>
>>30588502
First, it's cheaper. Heavy pulls means that there's less precision involved. 5 pounds of trigger pull means they've got a 5 pound margin of error.

Second, it's a safety/liability issue. Heavier trigger pulls lead to less accidental discharges.This doesn't mean much to us but a gun manufacturer can claim that it's done all it can to prevent accidental death or injury. Sure, you can get that adjusted but at that point the manufacturer is no longer liable. You've voided the proverbial and actual warranty.
>>
>>30589281
>Heavier trigger pulls lead to less accidental discharges
Says who?
>voided the proverbial and actual warranty
Then why wouldn't the gunsmith be sued?
>>
File: 1468279745675.jpg (126 KB, 838x627) Image search: [Google]
1468279745675.jpg
126 KB, 838x627
>>30588888
Witnessed...
>>
>>30589359
>Says who?
Says some PR official with a mediocre understanding of guns but a decent understanding of liability laws. I mean, it sorta sounds like it makes sense, right?
>Then why wouldn't the gunsmith be sued?
If the gun has been modified by a third party then as far as the manufacturer is concerned, it's not their gun. They have no control over a weapon that somebody else has monkey'd with and it's not reasonable to hold them responsible for that. As far as the law is concerned, it's an entirely different product than what rolled out of the factory.
>>
They're called lawyer-proof triggers for a reason. There was a rash of liability lawsuits in the 70's, so gun manufacturers started to cover their ass by making trigger pulls heavier. Dumb but true.
>>
You pay gunsmiths to install triggers?
>>
>>30588888
Tyrannosaurus rekt
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.