[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mini-14 with 16" or 18"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: 5820.jpg (19 KB, 825x160) Image search: [Google]
5820.jpg
19 KB, 825x160
I know Ruger Mini-14's are not as accurate as an AR and I'm not expecting to turn it into a sniper rifle, but just for killing coyotes, clearing pests and home defense I was hoing to buy an M1 carbine, but then decided not to sonce I didn't want to stock pile another caliber so next best thing is the Mini-14 Ranch being in .223/5.56

I was wondering, is it better to get the shorter barrel for stiffness and lessen the barrel whip or stick with the 18" to get tge velocity and not have increased flash and bang?
>>
>>30585728
Its better to just buy a fucking AR15, and spending time learning how to write.
>>
>>30585811
savage, anon
>>
>>30585728
Mini-14s do work better with shorter 16" barrels. On a newer model the difference isn't that significant because the barrels are thicker overall so the barrel whip problem is smaller to begin with, but on older models people cut em to 14" with a pinned/welded John Masen brake all the time.

Accu-strut also helps.
As does an Ultimak mount (supports barrel behind gas block).

Even so, shoot it in stock configuration and modify only if necessary.
>>
>>30585811
On the phone dude, I have big hands.

Also AR-15 is banned in New York.
>>
>>30585728
Wish Magpul wpuld make a stock for the Mini-14, I have the X-22 on almost all of my 10/22's except for my manlichers.
>>
>>30586152
Can't you get an SCR?
>>
>>30586152

You can get a featureless AR-15 with a real ugly stock in NY.
>>
>>30586223
>>30586571
No uglies, I need asthetics.
>>
16" and you run the risk of the media calling it a Military Style Assault Weapon.
>>
So just go with regular 18.5?
>>
>>30585728
>not as accurate as an AR
Swallowed the red pill hard.
>>
>>30585728
don't be misinformed about minis. they are fucking awesome rifle. If i could choose between a full length AR and a full lenght mini of the same price, i'd pick the Mini.

Secondly, the 'not accurate' is a meme. they're not innacurate -- the inacurate ones are certainly accurate enough for real world shooting (don't buy into the sub moa meme) -- and can be made very accurate with a harmonic strut.

Here's the special bonus -- some of the harmonic struts are also replacements for the gas block that are not only nearly a pound light (the original block is solid steel) but also let you adjust the gas system.

Only the older minis have barrel harmonic problems

while they lack some of the features that make people like AR 15s, those lacks are inherent gains in other features that you might like more

>t. owner of both a mini and AR15
>>
Don't forget 18.5 will get you slightly higher velocity and also gives you more barrel length if you wan't to get it cut or threaded later.
>>
File: Silly Stock.jpg (36 KB, 700x173) Image search: [Google]
Silly Stock.jpg
36 KB, 700x173
>>30586768
Then why would you buy a Mini-14?
You can buy an AR with that same silly stock.
>>
It does help accuracy, at the expense of a bigger flash, less velocity, etc.

The Mini I shot was 16" with the flash supressor. Short as hell OAL.

If accuracy is what you're after, buy a bolt gun, or an AR.
>>
Mini-14s are all right, years ago I received professional training with them. I'm not a huge fan of them but they're decent rifles, are they worth what they go for? Absolutely not, but if I were in New York that'd be my first choice.
>>
File: 1468298840770.jpg (47 KB, 246x475) Image search: [Google]
1468298840770.jpg
47 KB, 246x475
>>30590529
Drink up
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.