[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
are there any 3d printable .22s besides the liberator? Also
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 14
File: derringer.jpg (57 KB, 634x419) Image search: [Google]
derringer.jpg
57 KB, 634x419
are there any 3d printable .22s besides the liberator?

Also is there a service that will print them for me and send them to my door (like shapeways)
>>
>>30583582
>Also is there a service that will print them for me and send them to my door (like shapeways)

This question is so dumb it hurts. No, kid, if someone prints a pistol and isn't an ffl it's a felony. If anyone, FFL or otherwise, MAILS you a firearm of any kind and YOU aren't an FFL it's a felony.

If you're going to be a felon, for fucks sake get a decent gun out of it instead of plastic disposable meme shit.
>>
>>30583582
The Liberator is chambered in .380acp a different barrel file would be required to make a .22lr one.
>>
>>30583641
Half right. You can make a gun in your home and it's completely legal. Without an ffl.
>>
File: i11.png (898 KB, 895x467) Image search: [Google]
i11.png
898 KB, 895x467
>>30583582
Imura (when it's done)
songbird
washbear
grizzly
charger (receiver only)
off the top of my head. no one will print one and send it to you, at least not than anyone will admit.
>>
>we have readily available technology capable of fabricating functioning firearms
>the libs still think they can save the world and forever end gun violence just by passing laws that ban guns
>>
>>30583582
>>30584068
We've had the ability to make real metal guns in our own garage for over 100 years, it's called being a fucking machinist you plebs.

>Find local community college/technical college
>Find machinist program
>Apply for grants/loans(program will cost $1000-$5000 usually)
>Get ur mum to wake you up and take you to school
>Repeat for a year
>now you have the ability to fabricate guns for the rest of your life and the ability to work a trade
>Make Sten guns in your basement
>marry a fat chick and have a brood of kids in your trailer(not necessary but that's the stereotype)
>>
>>30583641
>No, kid, if someone prints a pistol and isn't an ffl it's a felony
No it isn't, you fucking retard.
>>
File: DSCF1671-1024x768.jpg (127 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
DSCF1671-1024x768.jpg
127 KB, 1024x768
>>30583991
>>30584203
sadly that depends on your state
>>
>>30584270
>depends on your state

what states
>>
>>30584282
you can't touch a gun in nys without a permit, ct, mass probably some others, have similar requirements.
>>
>>30584203

I believe that in CA, it's illegal to manufacture a "zip gun" which tends to be ruled as "literally any firearm that isn't currently sold as a commercial product"
>>
>>30584378
In CT you can make your own firearms so long as they aren't otherwise prohibited by our scumbag traitor politicians.
>>
File: 1453596997893.png (4 MB, 2140x1739) Image search: [Google]
1453596997893.png
4 MB, 2140x1739
>>30583582
>>
>>30584378
>Need to permit to touch a gun in new york
Woah holy shit handcuff me officer fudd
>>
You can print all sorts of receivers, just not complete guns.
>>
>>30583582
Hello ATF
>>
>>30583582
What kind of 3d printing are we talking about? metal sintering is probably the only viable for guns tbqf
>>
yes, a shitload, like other people posted. The GunCAD/FOSSCAD guns are waaaay better than the liberator. These two are really sweet, the Imura and Washbear >>30584035 >>30585129

>>30584378
pistols need permits, you don't need anything for a rifle in NYS. NYC is the super shithole
>>
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 259x194
>>30583582
songbird
that derringer is cute are ther any doublebarrelled printed ones, side by side would be nice?
>>
>>30584184
Yep fuck getting tools you don't need them shits your a machinist now. You can make literally anything now.
>>
>>30584184
>just become a macinist and make STENs
The tooling required to make STENs is significantly more expensive and takes up significantly more space than these 3D printers. Also, double stack magazines would still take some work to make at home from stampings while 3D printing makes it easy enough for anyone to do (which is important as homemade subguns like Luty's design are shit without double stack magazines).
>>
There's a CNC machine in development that's basically preprogrammed for finishing 80% AR-15 lowers. So long as you don't sell them, and don't manufacture them for other people, you'd be in the clear legally. Hopefully someone writes a program to do 80% AR-10 DPMS lowers on it for sneaky sniping and hunting.
>>
>>30590663
change the mag well to accept uzi mags
$20 used at a pawnshop
>>
>>30583582
That would be illegal...... Without an ffl
>>
>>30590864
>goal is to circumvent gun control in extreme cases
>just buy gun parts at your local pawn store
>>
>>30590890
i missed the implication of dodging gun control i thought this was manufacture of toys
>>
>>30591108
Yeah, if you're just making toys then there's no reason to bother making your own magazines. I'm still disappointed that none of the people making these 3D printed guns have developed muzzle loading designs or parlor pistol (bullet propelled by just the primer) type designs as it would seem to me that those rolls would be well suited to 3D printing.
>>
>>30590890
http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/uploads/Weaponeer/files/2009-06-18_002209_sten.pdf
mags are easy if you can buy springs .
>>
So how do these things not melt / blow up every time you fire?

How many shots can you fire from a Liberator before it goes horribly wrong?

How much would it cost to get a 3d printer and enough plastic to print 10 liberators, vs. just getting machine tools and enough metal to build 10 sten guns?
>>
File: smug pig.jpg (72 KB, 337x525) Image search: [Google]
smug pig.jpg
72 KB, 337x525
>>30591322
>vs. just getting machine tools
Do you have any idea how much machine tools cost? A small low end lathe or milling machine alone will set you back just as much as a decent 3D printer.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0VCN0pkJ-k6dVhdG9bbC1g
>>
File: luty tools required.png (32 KB, 529x487) Image search: [Google]
luty tools required.png
32 KB, 529x487
>>30591322
they do eventually break. It lasts like 10 shots. The "rifling" is toast after 1 shot. Some designs have steel tubing barrels added which improves it a lot.

The printer would be $300 - $1000, depending on how much you want to assemble, and how much time you want to spend tuning it to get good enough quality. Cheaper printer, lower quality. Some news article said it used $25 worth of plastic. Expect a failed print or two.

I grabbed the tools list for the Luty, since it's the easiest to make. Tools are probably $250-$350 total when getting habor freight cheap shit. Don't know about material costs though.
>>
>>30591520
>I grabbed the tools list for the Luty
Luty SMG =/= a STEN. The Luty SMG is a shitty AK pistol size wondernine that will empty the magazine faster than you'd ever want to. The STEN could actually be put up against modern assault rifles in some situations without being much of a disadvantage (short distances in an urban area, enemy combatants wearing plate carriers with no addon protection).
>>
>>30591612
the Sten and a plastic gun are hardly comparable in ease of making. I picked the sten because a complete noob could make it in the garage. The sten needs actual machining.
>>
>>30584270
What gun is that?
>>
>>30583582
>Also is there a service that will print them for me and send them to my door (like shapeways)
How lazy can you get?

If this is the kind of shit you need behind you for your LE SCARING DA GUBMENT toys, I don't think you're all that scary.
>>
>>30591877
maybe he doesn't want the expense of buying, maintaining, and supplying a 3d printer? it's not unreasonable
>>
>>30591908
Can confirm. Keeping a printer running, especially cheap ones, can be a pain in the ass.
>>
>>30591740
>I picked the sten because a complete noob could make it
*luty
hurrrr just noticed that typo
>>
Why are people so weighted towards 3d printed weapons when you can put a little more effort into it and make your own with material you can buy at the local hardware store. Other then lookin cleaner you can clearly put in a little more elbow grease to have a nice product in your hands for a good price.
>>
>>30592500
most people don't know shit about both guns and 3d printers. And 3d printers are fun
>>
File: what's wrong with Luty's SMG.png (220 KB, 1656x825) Image search: [Google]
what's wrong with Luty's SMG.png
220 KB, 1656x825
>>30591740
You would honestly be better off building a multi barrel shotgun or putting a bit more effort in and building a pistol instead of building a Luty SMG.
>>
BAN ASSAULT PRINTERS
>>
>>30591179
>mags are easy, just make the dies for stamping these precision components
Bending those is going to be significantly harder than bending an AK flat. There's a reason why homemade magazines are almost always single stack.
>>
>>30592699
the whole point is that's its a (shitty but usable) gun you can build yourself with minimal skill. It doesn't need to be accurate, and it doesn't matter if it uses ammo too quickly, and the mags are awkward to use.
>>
>>30591510

It'll make firearm parts that won't G36 on you, though.
>>
>>30592996
Yeah, and a simple multi barrel shotgun would be significantly more usable while still being about as simple to build. A handgun would be slightly harder to build but would also be significantly more usable along with being easily concealable.

>>30593747
The point is that they aren't even in the same price range.
>>
>>30590663
making aluminum mags with a 20ton press and some dies might work but saying that because mags are a problem, just limit yourself to single or two shot designs is kind of silly.

A small and quality mill and drill press can get you started on fabricating nearly everything if you have the patience.
>>
>>30594813
Oh, it's the retard that thinks a couple slam bang shotguns taped together is a great idea from practical use
>>
>>30584378
Yup, can't go to gun ranges without a god damn fucking firearm permit
>>
>>30594917
>making aluminum mags with a 20ton press and some dies might work but saying that because mags are a problem
Double stack magazines would be extremely hard to make without previous job related training meaning that a design capable of being easily assembled by someone with little previous experience would be limited to single stack magazines and anyone with the knowhow and equipment to make double stack magazines could build something much better than the Luty SMG. On top of that the Luty SMG has an extremely high rate of fire at 1200 rounds per minute which the author says will only allow the user to get 2-3 bursts off per magazine. Why not go with a multi barrel shotgun design and get just as many similar size bursts before reloading without the complexity (and therefor more ways things can go wrong) of magazines and an automatic mechanism?

>>30594928
You do know there are more homemade shotgun designs out there than just slam bangs.
>>
>>30595012
And you're aware that it would make more sense to actually learn how to make designs other than Lutys because there could possibly be a middle ground between '20 pounds and 5 shots of low pressure buck that takes 5 minutes to reload' and 'retard fast smg' right?
>>
>>30595053
>it would make more sense to actually learn how to make designs other than Lutys
I do know about designs other than the Luty SMG, but there's no point comparing them to the Luty SMG because they fall into a completely different skill level.

>20 pounds and 5 shots of low pressure buck that takes 5 minutes to reload
A double barrel 12 gauge would be roughly equivalent to what an unskilled user could do with a Luty SMG and a 4 barrel .410 would be equivalent to what someone with plenty of practice could do firing wise. Neither would weigh significantly more than the Luty SMG or take that much longer to reload (if you wanted you could adjust the headspace accordingly and make 2-4 round clips to hold the ammo ready to go in which case reloading would be almost as fast). Break action designs made for manufacture with hand tools and maybe a drill press like the Jaco western/derringer/mini pistol all have extractors if you choose to not go the clip route.

A more complex/more modern design isn't always better.
>>
>>30595187
a break action design made on a drill press already means you have to tools and to an extent the skill to make a tilting block firearm. I feel like I agree with you on the principle that a gun is better than none but disagree on the level of skill needed to make other designs.
>>
Yo, WarFairy, if you're lurking this thread,

Check out Cobalt Kinetics Evolve.

Can you integrate close-bolt-on-fresh-mag and drop-empty-mag functions on your Phobos and Hermes lowers?
>>
>>30595236
http://www.replicaplans.com/BlueprintDownloads/Western%20Pistol%201972%20%28.22%20Caliber%20Single%20Shot%29%20Plans%20-%20JACO%20Designs.pdf
This is the Jaco Wester pistol, the design really isn't that complex and there's another PDF out there that goes over ways to reduce the complexity further (related to the through cuts for the extractor, latch, trigger guard, and the block the barrel attaches to). It would most likely require more time to make than the Luty SMG though. It could likely be blown up some to handle shotgun shells (I think there's someone out there who built an enlarged .38 special one) and a somewhat less than ergonomic side by side should be possible. Also, a small Harbor Freight drill press won't add that much to the price of tools over the Luty SMG (it will probably be about the same due to not having to purchase the tools necessary to cut the chamber as shotgun shells headspace on the rim instead of the mouth of the case like 9mm).
>>
>>30595409
That seems needlessly complex for a .22 gun. A direct blowback made with mostly tubing could probably work just as well for all the trouble.
>>
>>30591162
parlor pistols are only good for shooting indoors which has been found to contaminate your home with lead from the the primers, and muzzle loaders are fun for historical reasons which printing them would kind of defeat.

>>30591775
shuty

>>30595187
look up orion's hammer's blowbAK
>>
>>30595522
given they painted thier walls with the stuff I see no reason a but of lead dust was seen as a problem for them
>>
>>30595522
>parlor pistols are only good for shooting indoors which has been found to contaminate your home with lead from the the primers
They can be used for shooting outside like a BB gun and would actually keep the gun down to a reasonable size. There are also lead free primers and .177/.22 pellets available now days.

>and muzzle loaders are fun for historical reasons which printing them would kind of defeat.
Those would allow the developer to tailor the load to the gun instead of trying to make current ammunition work with a plastic gun. It also takes about as long to reload one as a muzzle loader anyways.
>>
>>30595624
in paint it's okay as long as you don't sand it or eat chips, as burnt primer it gets in your lungs and on every surface. they weren't to concerned about it but that's why people don't use parlor guns now and don't shoot in their basements. unless they didn't get the memo.
>>
>>30595764
>you can't tailor loads in cartridges
???
>>
>>30595802
That requires reloading equipment and it isn't exactly safe to have a gun designed around a custom lower pressure spec that still uses 9mm brass and can still chamber standard pressure 9mm.
>>
>>30597471
>pull bullet with pliers
>take out as much powder as you think you should
>or replace with black powder
>mark with sharpie or nailpolish

Not hard and not being a retard isn't hard either when it comes to mixing up your bullets because if you have a gun that can take normal 9mm what are you doing fucking around with a liberator.
>>
Yes, the zig zag is a japanese made revolver, 5 shot I believe, and of course you can mess with the files to chamber it in whatever.
>>
>>30597500
>pull bullet with pliers
Are you retarded? Do you even own guns? You're going to fuck up the bullet pulling it with pliers. You also can't just reseat a bullet with finger pressure and trying to seat a bullet without belling the mouth of the case first can bend the case.

>if you have a gun that can take normal 9mm what are you doing fucking around with a liberator
You do realize that most of the people designing 3D printed guns already own guns and do it as a hobby. Same as all the other people out there who actually build guns (and I'm not talking about assembling an AK or AR).
>>
>>30597543
Of course you'll fuck it up but you are also going to be shooting it out of a fucking smoothbore plastic gun and being careful with the pliers in reseating will be fine enough why the fuck will you be trying to use fingerpressure to seat a bullet?

compared to :
>just make a muzzle loader guiz because cartridges are hard
It's a better solution. and the people designing 3D printed guns obviously think so too given how there are no plans for your shitty idea.
>>
>>30595012
This is new to me, I haven't heard of it before. Why is it so hard to make a double stack mag? Isn't it just measurements? Grab a double stack mag in your desired caliber and copy the dimensions and follower shape. Maybe making your own from scratch could be difficult designing without knowledge of one but if you have an example why would it be so hard?
>>
>>30597612
>Of course you'll fuck it up but you are also going to be shooting it out of a fucking smoothbore plastic gun and being careful with the pliers in reseating will be fine enough
If you try pulling and reseating a bullet using just pliers you'll be lucky if your shitty ammo will even fit into the chamber by the time you're done with it. It doesn't matter if it's a smooth bore barrel, shit still needs to fit together tightly for it to actually work.

>just make a muzzle loader guiz because cartridges are hard
Current designs require ramming the previous casing out of the barrel with a rod anyways which is already slow and generally use swapable barrels or barrel clusters which would just be swapped by the user in the case of actual serious use instead of trying to ram out the previous casing. I'm struggling to see why you think a muzzle loading design would be at a significant disadvantage given the current limitations for regular cartridge designs.
>>
>>30597716
Do you have a double stack magazine on hand? The inside is not a simple box (ammunition tapers toward the front and getting it to stack nice and feed reliably while being loose in the front would be a pain in the ass) and without actual experience with more complex stampings you aren't going to be able to recreate it, they aren't simple 90 degree bends like an AK flat. Single stack magazines on the other hand can be made with square tubing like Luty did for his SMG design. There is also the problem of double stack magazines feeding from both sides which is slightly more finicky to get right and also requires the feed ramp in the gun to be designed to feed from both sides (the feed ramp design in Luty's SMG would not be adequate). As for the double stack magazines that taper to a single stack at the top like you find in handguns, those would likely be a challenge for someone to do at home even if they did have previous experience.
>>
>>30597872
Fair enough, at the moment I don't have one on hand (only singles, the doubles are back home). I guess that makes a good deal of sense, though I'm going to try my hand at it when I get a chance. Seems like some good measurements and patience will get the job done. Angles can be measured but even then one could just get the edge lengths and give it a half assed throw. The feed ramps would be an issue I didn't think of (And agreed the gun would need to be designed to do it but that is another matter for now) but again I don't see it being to much of an issue with a little trial and error patience.

I will give you, more difficult than first thought and would need a bit of experience to do it for sure. It sounds like a fun weekend challenge to me!

On the double necked to single. Yeah that would be a pain in the ass and would take some serious skills / equipment. I guess I could see slitted sheet metal bent to position then welded together but that seems like more work than its worth not to mention massive margins of error in a non-jig set up.
>>
>>30597993
>I guess I could see slitted sheet metal bent to position then welded together
A problem with that is that if you get the angles off slightly you may end up with to much friction for the magazine to feed the ammunition fast enough or the ammunition might even completely bind in the magazine at the taper.
>>
>>30598034
That's what I was thinking when I wrote the rest of that line. In that situation I would say to buy new/used or if you're designing a gun, don't be stupid and design the gun in another way.
>>
>>30597721
it's a matter of principle that a a cartridge design is in no way inferior to a muzzleloading design and offers the added benefit of the brass containing a measure of pressure. Your argument is that it's greatly superior for no discernable reason.

Either way 3d printing is retarded for anything but to prove a point and for hobbyists.
>>
>>30598034
Most problems with magazines is that they can be fiddled with to get them working reliably for one gun but interchangability will be a crap shoot between them. Though modern Springs are really a marvel of modern material engineering.
>>
>>30592773
There are ways to avoid stamping and yes the bends are the hardest part but far from impossible.
>>
>>30598279
>can easily use lower pressure loads without needing reloading equipment, meaning the barrels can be slightly less fuckhueg and you can make a more reasonably sized 3D printed guns with the benefits being very visible in multi shot designs
>doesn't take much longer to reload individually than normal cartridges due to cartridges getting stuck after every round and needing to be pounded out, no difference in reload time if you simply swap the barrel/barrel cluster
>for the to prove a point role, brass and primers are the hardest part of ammunition to make yourself and an electronically fired muzzle loader would remove both issues
>>
>>30598475
>can easily use lower pressure loads without needing reloading equipment, meaning the barrels can be slightly less fuckhueg and you can make a more reasonably sized 3D printed guns with the benefits being very visible in multi shot designs
So reduce lethality because your plastic pistol is incredibly weak by the very materials used. Got it. And I just went over how it's not hard to pull bullets your complaint was that carefully pulling bullets with pliers or now I've put a but more thought into it, making an interia puller hammer out of PVC (which you seem to think is the same as retard strengthing them out)

>doesn't take much longer to reload individually than normal cartridges due to cartridges getting stuck after every round and needing to be pounded out, no difference in reload time if you simply swap the barrel/barrel cluster

So your getting around the cartridge problem by... making making replaceable cylinders that need to be fuckheug because of the fact there is nothing but plastic to contain the pressure.

>for the to prove a point role, brass and primers are the hardest part of ammunition to make yourself and an electronically fired muzzle loader would remove both issues
Electronically fired systems are notoriously unreliable unless you have compounds that if you had access to would be easy to make your own priming compound.
>>
>>30598690
>So reduce lethality because your plastic pistol is incredibly weak by the very materials used
When it makes multi shot pistols that aren't larger than a Desert Eagle possible it's a completely acceptable trade off.

>making making replaceable cylinders
3D printed guns are already designed like this.

>because of the fact there is nothing but plastic to contain the pressure.
If less than .02" worth of brass made any difference whatsoever then people would already be sleeving their 3D printed barrels with it.

>Electronically fired systems are notoriously unreliable unless you have compounds that if you had access to would be easy to make your own priming compound.
Except that's wrong, see the CVA Electra and this guy's repeating pistol build:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWXiIqh0DwQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OJnNei0MF4

It's obvious that you have no clue what you're talking about.
>>
Schedule 80 1/8" steel pipe is like .215" inner diameter and dirt cheap. (not sure what, exactly the fuck about it is supposed to be 1/8", but whatever)

cutting off 2-3" segments and reaming them out with a 5.7mm jobber bit should get you some passable ghetto chamber sleeves/barrels for a 3d printed pistol.
>>
>>30599359
>When it makes multi shot pistols that aren't larger than a Desert Eagle possible it's a completely acceptable trade off.
if you genuinely belive that it will make any appreciable diffrence in terms of size I don't know what to tell you. You may as well have a .22 at that point because a charge needed to propel anything with all polymer beyond that is going to be a losing battle in terms of concealibility.

>3D printed guns are already designed like this.

I'm well aware but your main argument is concealibility which goes out the window when you are carrying extra cylinders

>If less than .02" worth of brass made any difference whatsoever then people would already be sleeving their 3D printed barrels with it.
The same amount spend on a steel liner would also work better but that would defeat the purpose of the point they're trying to make. A case is designed to hold and direct pressure, a small amount of brass is better than a chunk of plastic given that it would need to hold all the pressure
>inb4 shotgun shells
are supported by a STEEL chamber and bolt.
>Except that's wrong, see the CVA Electra and this guy's repeating pistol build
the guy is making a light plinking gun and if you read his notes instead of looking at the pretty pictures you'll see that the pressures needed for reliable and efficant ignition of smokeless powders would blow plastic apart in less reinforced or heavily built up. whoops looks like either way you're packing a deagle.

Maybe 3D printing a firearm that is meant for anything but a means of getting a better gun is fucking stupid
>>
>>30600918
>if you genuinely belive that it will make any appreciable diffrence in terms of size I don't know what to tell you.
Any gun store near you carry reloading manuals? Next time you're there see if they have a copy of Lyman Black Powder Handbook unwrapped, it lists the maximum pressure of various loads in the rifle section, particularly the .32 round ball loads, and you will see that they are a great deal lower than weaker modern handgun ammunition of equivalent caliber.

>I'm well aware but your main argument is concealibility which goes out the window when you are carrying extra cylinders
>handguns are less concealable when you care extra magazines
It's not like you're going to be ramming out the casings with your trusty screwdriver if you ever needed your 3D printed handgun gun that used cartridges for serious use anyways.

>pressures needed for reliable and efficant ignition of smokeless powders would blow plastic apart in less reinforced or heavily built up
Yeah, plastic guns need extremely thick barrels to contain the pressure of the powder burning, which is why every little step taken to lower the max pressure counts and why I'm suggesting lighter black powder loads.

>Maybe 3D printing a firearm that is meant for anything but a means of getting a better gun is fucking stupid
And a more concealable gun would be better for that role.
>>
>>30601266
the barrel and chambers are what contain the pressure with the chambers being the most likely to fail, and like you said every bit helps in regards to sending the round down range and keeping shrapnel out of you.

I'm really not seeing much benefit to using an electronically ignited gun when other factors like powder needing to be avaliable most likely means that other components are also available. You could make it out of household ingredients but you could also make Armstrong mixture and have much more reliable chemical ignition initiated by also reliable mechanical ignition.

3D is held back by the limitations of polymers so just make steel lining and reinforcements with things that require fitting and skill out of 3d printed parts if you care enough about concealibility and having followup shots
>>
>>30601624
>you could also make Armstrong mixture and have much more reliable chemical ignition initiated by also reliable mechanical ignition.
The problem with normal primers isn't so much making the compound (which can be sourced from matches), but rather the primer cup. Though there might be a creative way to achieve that with a plastic gun that I haven't thought of. I know about the tap-o-cap that could make normal percussion caps for muzzle loading rifles out of pop cans but those can't fit into a normal primer pocket and something tells me having the nipples on a plastic barrel might be a problem.

>like powder needing to be avaliable
Black powder can be made at home.

>3D is held back by the limitations of polymers so just make steel lining and reinforcements with things that require fitting and skill out of 3d printed parts if you care enough about concealibility and having followup shots
Not going to disagree with that. It would also solve extraction problem with cartridges. Either way would make more sense than many of the available 3D printed designs I've seen.

Also, I forgot to include in my previous post that a full plastic muzzle loader barrel would have the downside of being slightly longer due to the plastic breech plug unless you went with a steel liner with a steel breech plug. In response to the point about the case holding the pressure.
>>
>>30602107
I'm aware that black powder can be made at home but in the event all powder and components are banned I'd think it safe to say that nearly everything else to easily make anything dangerous would be limited too.

In the event that happens electrical charges might make more sense. But at that point you'll need to be making powders from chicken shit and nitrebeds

If cartridges are avaliable then there is little practical reason not to use them and reuse them for as long as possible, which isn't very long because again, 3D is a stopgap at best in this nightmare world where all guns, black market or otherwise are gone forever unless in the hands of the govt.
>>
>>30602267
>3D is a stopgap at best in this nightmare world where all guns, black market or otherwise are gone forever unless in the hands of the govt.
Not really, if designs advance to the point of multi shot designs being easily concealable think of it as the black market budget option for handguns in any place with strict gun control. They would likely just take the place of blank gun conversions now that coutries have started cracking down on those.
>>
>>30602441
I'm curious how much crime is really committed by the conversions though. It seems the vast majority is by guns made in actual factories and smuggled in. 3D guns would be more of a novelty for middle class edge lords.
>>
>>30602483
Honestly don't know, never lived in a country where people resorted to conversions. I've heard claims that some of the old ones could be converted by drilling out and sometimes relining the barrel which does sound like it would be cheaper than straw purchasing a gun but not buying a stolen gun in the US from what I've heard, but I'm not sure if it's ever actually been practical to convert them. Kind of like the stories about the car antenna .22lr zip guns. If concealable multi shot 3D printed guns ever become possible it would seem that they would easily beat the blank gun conversions price wise even if the conversions were easy to make. Also given what I've heard about gang members I can see some of them cheaping out and going with a 3D printed budget gun if offered and if they don't get a reputation for being dangerous to the user.
>>
>>30583582
>Also is there a service that will print them for me and send them to my door

>is there a service that will ship firearms to your door

The ATF
As tribute they shoot your dog
>>
>>30590663
>The tooling required to make STENs is significantly more expensive and takes up significantly more space than these 3D printers.
Spoken like a true underachiever.

That same tooling can be had for the same price (printers are not cheap lmao) and while it does take up more space it also gives you far more capability.

>which is important as homemade subguns like Luty's design are shit without double stack magazines
Uh, no. They're not. I'll take a rapid-firing simple blowback metal monster over a plastic .380 piece of shit any fucking day of the week. At the very least I can single-load 9x19mm directly into the chamber and still have a weapon leagues beyond what can be printed.

>>30592773
>Bending those is going to be significantly harder than bending an AK flat. There's a reason why homemade magazines are almost always single stack.
Here's a hint: it isn't because metal is hard to bend. It's because a double-stack magazine needs more precision in manufacturing than most people are willing to put in, but double stack magazines have been manufactured in small shops for more or less a hundred years now. (see China in the 20's all the way to the Khyber Pass and into Chechnya in the 90's)

Like >>30598359 said it is far from impossible, every home SMG and pistol instruction out there is almost always driven at least one of these goals: to provide the masses with weapons or to provide hobbyists with a fun toy.

Oh and:
>>30602267
>I'm aware that black powder can be made at home but in the event all powder and components are banned
Going to stop reading there because even a basic retard can figure out how to acquire the source materials for black powder. Banning the precursors to black powder is literally impossible, you can't do it.
>>
>>30604679
>Going to stop reading there
If you read a bit more you'd see I said that they would make it harder, not impossible. A chemist can make anything he wants, just require more steps.
>because even a basic retard can figure out how to acquire the source materials for black powder. Banning the precursors to black powder is literally impossible, you can't do it

You can make it harder and it's much easier to pass 'The Fertilizer Concentration Act' than gun control, in fact that's what they'd most likely do first before moving on to things like components like primers and powder.

Anyone with enough research can figure out a way to purify and concentrate substandard and gimped precursors but it'll increase the barrier for entry.
>>
>>30585129
I'm sorry but this just made my morning. I have no interest in printing or making or even buying a 22lr revolver, but I just think it's fucking neat that I can save that image and open it with a zip editor.
>>
>>30604679
>it isn't because metal is hard to bend. It's because a double-stack magazine needs more precision in manufacturing
>post literally says that they are precision components

>but double stack magazines have been manufactured in small shops
That were staffed by groups of trained and experienced machinists, not exactly the average person who would try to make their own subgun.

>see China in the 20
Source on them making double stack magazines at a time they weren't particularly common? Especially when they couldn't even make pistols with sights on them or completely straight slide rails on pistols some of the time.

>Khyber Pass
People who have been making guns for generations and know their shit. They aren't untrained monkeys.

>Chechnya
I'm willing to bet that magazines were sourced from elsewhere for their homemade subguns.
>>
>>30583991
>>30584203
>>30584270
If it is smoothbore with a <18" then it's an AOW, regardless of whether it's homemade or not.
>>
File: 1467250530114.png (3 MB, 1636x1491) Image search: [Google]
1467250530114.png
3 MB, 1636x1491
>>30606030
I wish people more talented than I am would make a bunch of these images for a thread.
>>
Would it be possible to build something that uses some kind of gas, like hydrogen or methane, and aelectrical circuit to ignite the gas in the chamber to propel a bullet? Would this work in a small design?
Let's say you have a magazine with simple spherical projectiles, and a chamber into which a mixture of gas is quickly released from a canister using a valve, and as soon as it fills her chamber a spark lights it.
All this could possibly be done by using a trigger that would compete a circuit so that, electronically, the valve would be released for a fraction of a second and then the spark would ignite.
Is this possible?
>>
File: Snowcrash_guide.jpg (2 MB, 2550x3580) Image search: [Google]
Snowcrash_guide.jpg
2 MB, 2550x3580
>>30607089
I'll get around to it when I have a day off.
Snowcrash files are dope as shit and I wish everyone knew about them.
>>
File: Tippmann c3_2.gif (736 KB, 920x490) Image search: [Google]
Tippmann c3_2.gif
736 KB, 920x490
>>30608266

Tippmann did it for a paintball gun, not sure how feasible it would be to build one with lethal power.

Word is they had patents for a semi-auto version but never went through with it.
>>
>>30605846
>If you read a bit more you'd see I said that they would make it harder, not impossible. A chemist can make anything he wants, just require more steps.
No quite literally it is impossible to ban all the precursors to black powder because one ingredient is cooked wood and the others are used in so many things or have similar alternatives. Saltpeter can be substituted with any number of oxidizers, many of which can be made at home easily.

I read the rest of your post, but you're grossly exaggerating the difficulty.

>>30606455
>>post literally says that they are precision components
>doesn't even understand what precision is or even means
What a way to start a post.

>That were staffed by groups of trained and experienced machinists
Some were, some weren't.

>Source on them making double stack magazines at a time they weren't particularly common?
Every time I go to search something up it turns up bullshit about human cloning in China. Either way, they weren't exactly manufacturing double stack magazines but instead cobbling together drum magazines for stolen (or cheap knockoff) submachine guns. I don't think I need to explain the difficulties involved with making a drum magazine. I don't care enough to dig up the gallery of interesting pictures I found in some corner of the web.

>People who have been making guns for generations and know their shit. They aren't untrained monkeys.
So your point is what? That people in first world countries are incapable of learning how to match the Khyber Pass in weapons manufacturing with access to better tools and equipment? Dumb.

>I'm willing to bet that magazines were sourced from elsewhere for their homemade subguns.
I'd love to take that bet, but unfortunately this is the internet. In case this is too vague for you the answer is no, they didn't source elsewhere for their magazines, and on what planet does that even make sense? Not this one, they were building guns already because they had nothing.
>>
>>30608606
>Some were, some weren't.
And the ones that weren't also weren't making double stack magazines unless a machine shop that was staffed by skilled machinists made the dies for them or at least provided the plans to make the dies.

>Either way, they weren't exactly manufacturing double stack magazines but instead cobbling together drum magazines for stolen (or cheap knockoff) submachine guns.
Not only do you need a source to back that up, but you also need evidence that they actually worked (which given Ian's videos on Chinese pistols is unlikely unless they were out of one of the few shops actually operated by skilled machinists).

>That people in first world countries are incapable of learning how to match the Khyber Pass in weapons manufacturing with access to better tools and equipment?
People go to trade schools for that, it isn't something that some anon interested in building their own subgun would just pick up. Also, don't tell me you're one of those people who believe they don't have full machine shops set up and just do everything with hand tools over there. They don't have the best equipment but they have better than the Harbor Freight equipment that most of the anons who do mess around with this stuff have.

>and on what planet does that even make sense? Not this one, they were building guns already because they had nothing.
Because that's normal for shops making their own guns as magazines are significantly more numerous and less controlled than guns.
>>
>>30597500
>pull bullet with pliers
>take out as much powder as you think you should
>or replace with black powder
>mark with sharpie or nailpolish

Literally the worst advice in the world.

Pulling an unknown powder out of a case and using it it to reload without data is retarded. Most powders don't like huge open spaces made by only using half of the recommended load. Too much air space can cause the powder to explode instead of burn in both smokeless and black powder. This is why minimum loads exit.

>>30598690
>making an interia puller hammer out of PVC

>making something designed to impact hard surfaces out of PVC

That is almost as retarded as your first post. Almost.
>>
>>30609076
I'm not even going to keep going on with this because I have better things to do than argue with some fucking guy who's wrong on the internet. If you want plans for double stack magazines look at the five or six Sten clones floating around there, plans for them invariably have plans for a magazine and yes they are fucking double stack.

Yeah, I get it, you think your education (I hope that's where you're coming from) is some special knowledge only an elite few have obtained. I fix things people bring to my shop that I built myself, I'm self-taught and self-made and if I can do it anyone can. I know if I had to make a Sten magazine I could do it with woodworking tools, but maybe your earlier point of "well not everyone has that skill" has a little merit but again, I gathered it myself so time and effort are the only factors. You know, that shit you said about the Khyber Pass tradesmen? Time and effort made them, and a lot of them still do it with hand tools.
>>
>>30583582

>Asks if there are any 3d printable .22s besides the liberator

>Posts a picture of a 3d printable .22 that isn't the liberator

What the fuck are you doing, OP?
>>
>>30609342
>Most powders don't like huge open spaces made by only using half of the recommended load. Too much air space can cause the powder to explode instead of burn in both smokeless and black powder
Nice job pulling that out of your ass. The only info of detonations were from people using unusually slow powders and pistol powders are definitely not. Have you ever read a reloading manual?
>>
>>30609600
>If you want plans for double stack magazines look at the five or six Sten clones floating around there
The ones I've seen either require you to have the knowledge of making dies or require you to take hours measuring and bending it by hand with plenty of room for error at which point you'll need to start over. Most of what I've read specifically says to source magazines from elsewhere whenever possible due to how difficult they are to make.

>you think your education (I hope that's where you're coming from)
No, I've been around others with tons of experience long enough and have some more basic knowledge of how to do things from reading that I don't discount their knowledge and claim anyone could just pick it up quickly if needed without a lot of training and practice.

>know if I had to make a Sten magazine I could do it with woodworking tools
Good luck.
>>
File: 1454253653679.jpg (116 KB, 400x800) Image search: [Google]
1454253653679.jpg
116 KB, 400x800
>>30610341
>The ones I've seen
>Most of what I've read
>I've been around others with tons of experience
>>
>>30606492
You could probably set it up like a non-NFA 14.5 PGO shotgun too
>>
>>30610425
>The ones I've seen
Then post one that goes against that. I won't claim to have read them all.

>I've been around others with tons of experience
On websites such as Weaponeer, Weapons Guild, and Home Gunsmith.

In none of these threads has anyone ever been able to prove me wrong by simply posting a link to someone making their own double stack magazine or a guide that could be followed by people with a similar skill set to what Luty's SMG requires.
Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.