[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Assault Weapon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
File: AR-15_Sporter_SP1_Carbine.jpg (148 KB, 1600x642) Image search: [Google]
AR-15_Sporter_SP1_Carbine.jpg
148 KB, 1600x642
What does the term Assault Weapon mean to you?
>>
A select-fire (read: capable of burst fire, full auto, or both) rifle that fires an intermediate cartridge and feeds through detachable magazines

Scary black furniture is a plus but not required
>>
>>30566917
Any gun that is capable of selective fire.
>>
File: Marine-SMAW-2.jpg (124 KB, 800x643) Image search: [Google]
Marine-SMAW-2.jpg
124 KB, 800x643
>>30566917
This thing.
>>
>>30566917
>Assault Weapon

Meaningless term used by gun-grabbing politicians.
>>
>>30566917
a lie invented by josh sugarman of the violence policy center to confuse the public between an assault rifle (a machinegun that fires an intermediate rifle round) and an assault weapon (a semi-automatic modern sporting rifle).

it's a loaded and politically/emotionally charged term that confuses the ignorant.
>>
>>30567090
I agree that assault weapon is used to confuse people between semi autos and full autos, but why not just call semi autos assault rifles? People who want to ban guns don't know or care about the difference anyway. I have never once heard the term assault weapon used to describe anything other than some type of rifle, almost always intermediate with detachable mags.
>>
>>30567141
Because the term assault rifle has an agreed upon definition that specifically includes select fire capabilities.
>>
>>30567159
My point is, why invent a term to try and confuse libtards when one already exists that they don't care to learn the proper definition of? They are basically interchangeable at this point anyway.
>>
>>30567090
This desu
>>
File: terlit lid.jpg (34 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
terlit lid.jpg
34 KB, 900x900
>>30566917
literally fucking nothing

here, this is an assault weapon. It was a weapon used in an assault.
>>
>>30567174
You're confused. Gun control advocates made up the the political term "Assault Weapon" to sound like the technical term "assault rifle" and specifically targeted "military-style" civilian firearms so that people would think they're supporting a ban on full auto, even though it's already defacto illegal.
>>
File: StuG_III_Ausf_G_Finnish_Sturmi.jpg (52 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
StuG_III_Ausf_G_Finnish_Sturmi.jpg
52 KB, 800x500
Assault gun
>>
File: image.jpg (162 KB, 948x716) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
162 KB, 948x716
>>
>>30566917
A saying made up by the Germans.
>>
>>30567206
You are not answering my question. There was no reason to make up the term assault weapon. All the guns used in every attack I can think of that were referred to as "assault weapons" were rifles, and many people believe "assault" means "made only to kill innocent people and nothing else." I suppose "weapon" sounds a bit more ominous and scarier than "rifle," but other than that it seems pointless.
>>
>>30566917

A rifle capable of firing at intermediate ranges with selective fire. The actual definition of an "assault rifle" by the US Army
>>
>>30567141
Because you have people referring to things like the SKS which does not have a detachable magazine being referred to as an assault weapon.
>>
It means that whoever said it doesn't know a goddamned thing about guns.
>>
>>30566917
>Assault Weapon
Ergonomic is what it seems to mean in practice truth be told.
In current usage it is loaded language used by politicians and media to make things sound scary, originally used by cool guys to make firearms appeal to the 80/90s cool guy geckos of the world.

>>30567036
This.
>>
>>30567281
This.

CNN would probably say I own three. I say I don't own any F/A's and therefore I don't own any "assault weapon"s
>>
A weapon that looks scary.
>>
>>30567258
no, you are not understanding the strategy.

at the time (the early 90's) an AWB was wanting to be passed using the recent 101 california shootings in SF, and the waco siege to push more gun control into effect.

VPC wanted to confuse the public into thinking that machineguns were commonly purchasable and since those firearms are called assault rifles, he invented the term "assault weapon" in order to draw a parallel to them and yet make the term broad enough to be able to be applied to more than just machineguns (which were already tightly regulated since the 80's).

semi auto rifles are not and cannot be assault rifles because the definition specifically requires the ability to shoot full auto. full auto is legally defined as a machinegun.

in order to pass new laws banning guns that looked like machineguns but weren't (so cosmetically similar), he uses "assault weapon" as his term to describe them because it evokes the common image of a full auto AK or something.

you are a product of this confusion - you don't know the difference, you likely don't care because you don't like guns personally or whatever. the gun grabbers are using that confusion over the terms and legal status of these arms as well as your ignorance of the same in order to push their agenda and specifically forbid you from them.

they could not use "assault rifle" at all because many people familiar with that term would call them out on lying. it's an established technical description of a specific type of machinegun.
>>
File: SLV0701.jpg (28 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
SLV0701.jpg
28 KB, 800x800
>>30566917

Pic related: The collapsible stock makes it more deadly.
>>
>>30566917
An auto loading midsized rifle with or without removable magazine that has a three selector at minimum.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.