[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /k/ nogunz here who just became hasgunz in the great cucked
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7
File: Smith-and-Wesson-SD9-SD40.jpg (42 KB, 650x464) Image search: [Google]
Smith-and-Wesson-SD9-SD40.jpg
42 KB, 650x464
Hi /k/

nogunz here who just became hasgunz in the great cucked state of commiefornia

How did i do? I got it in .40
>>
>>30548502
You did alright, personally I'd have gone with 9mm but .40 works find
>>
>>30548502
Not too bad for a first gun, better than a Glock.
(watch the Gloccbois sperg over this)
I would have gone with 9mm as well, but if you're getting a gun chambered in .40 S&W at least it's an S&W.
But enjoy the weird experience of buying ammo for it.
Half of the places will have it priced higher than 9mm, half of the places will be wanting to give it away to you.
>>
>>30548502
Should've go 10mm.
>>
>>30548502
Protip: I think most or all C&R firearms are legal in your state. You should look on Gunbroker for C&R eligible Hi Powers.
>>
>>30548624
>>30548560
honestly half the reason i got the 40 was because my buddies have everything in 9mm and i wanted to be different
>>
File: jamesakaourlordandsavior.jpg (15 KB, 494x316) Image search: [Google]
jamesakaourlordandsavior.jpg
15 KB, 494x316
>>30548502

>.40
>>
>>30548502
Honestly, since you're limited to 10 rounds, .40 cal was an acceptable purchase. The capacity argument becomes worthless.
>>
>>30548502

You did fine. People are going to talk endless shit about .40 - ignore them. There are "better" rounds out there, but I learned how to use a pistol with an XD40 before branching out to other calibers and guns.
>>
>>30548624
>better than Glock

Nice joke there, fuckboy.
>>
File: ohboy.jpg (14 KB, 267x207) Image search: [Google]
ohboy.jpg
14 KB, 267x207
>>30548769
Right on cue!
>>
>.40

Ten points from Gryffindor
>>
>>30548799
You're a fucking delusional faggot.
>>
>>30548676
>i wanted to be different

Let CA gun owners move into your state they said
CA gun owners aren't faggots they said
>>
>>30548676
Cartridge universality is something a noguns going into hasguns would normally strive for.

You evidently wanted to be a special snowflake and congrats, .40 is a special snowflake cartridge.
It will be nitpicked until the end of time, but there isn't much wrong with it in the way of performance.
Ammunition supply and price is where you'll get cucked.

But hey, enjoy. At least it's not a Glock.
>>
>>30548922
>go shooting with buddies
>they all have striker fired handguns chambered in 9mm
>it might be nice to shoot something a slight bit different for variety's sake, I'll get something in .40

WHAT A FAGGOT AMIRITE
>>
>>30548922
im not moving to your fucking state. so you can take down those roadblocks bucko
>>
>>30548906
Man, Führer Gaston must give you regular dick in the ass.
>>
>>30548949

>Wants to be different
>Gets basically the same cartridge as 9mm and just costs more than 9mm

shit nigger what are you doing

At least get a 10mm or .357 sig if you're going for the snowflake angle
>>
File: 1453498388181.gif (2 MB, 260x260) Image search: [Google]
1453498388181.gif
2 MB, 260x260
>>30548502
>I got it in .40
Bad choice, but still kills people dead. 9mm is better.

>the reason i got the 40 was because my buddies have everything in 9mm and i wanted to be different
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>30548949
>Wants variety
>Gets literally the closest comparable cartridge.

uhhhh
>>
noweapon here, I wish to buy a weapon, I live in KY. Do I just go into a weapon store, ask for a said weapon hanging on a wall, pay the price and walk out with it? Or is there some complicated method to buying a weapon?
>>
>>30549016

Not sure what KY is like, but in states that are not communist shit holes, you go in, fill out a form, do a background check, pay and leave with funs
>>
>>30549007
>Bad choice, but still kills people dead. 9mm is better.
.40 may be a worse choice than 9mm for certain reasons, but calling 9mm "better" is just delusional.
>>
>>30549016
yeah pretty much that plus some paperwork and a background check
>>
>>30549016
That's just about it. Tack on 15-20 minutes for paperwork and background check.

The above average gun owner would take much longer in research, feeling the firearms and even practicing with them first. Generally, most firearms are not a "one size fits all" if you get what i'm saying.
>>
>>30549044
I'm searching online for info, but all the info is on cc, but I'm not doing a cc yet just want to buy one. But sounds like an easy process. No wait periods for buying a weapon?
>>
File: expansion4.jpg (203 KB, 1013x806) Image search: [Google]
expansion4.jpg
203 KB, 1013x806
>>30549051
Reasons why 9mm is "better" than .40 follow :

1 : Magazine capacity. Most 9mm guns have one or two more rounds in the magazine for the same volume compared to .40. 10 rounds of 9mm is better than 9 rounds of .40.
2 : Weight. 9mm cartridges are slightly lighter than .40 cartridges, and components such as barrels may be lighter as well depending on the firearm.
3 : Price. 9mm is usually cheaper per round than .40.
4 : Availability. 9mm is used more widely than .40 is, though .40 is still highly available and widely used.
5 : Recoil. 9mm generally has less felt recoil than .40.
6 : Terminal performance. Good 9mm hollow points perform nearly identically to good .40 hollow points, giving .40 no real advantage over 9mm in any category.
>>
>>30548998
Getting a 10mm or .357 for your first handgun might not be the best idea, if only because of ammo prices/availability. Personally I would have looked for something in .45 if my state's laws sucked and I wanted "variety", but .40 is fine.
>>
>>30549096
>Marisa Kirisame !!1zao16xwdwl

Post discarded.
>>
OP here. Thats cool if you guys want to argue about ammo. But what would you load for a self defense round? Help me out hre.
>>
>>30548906
Calm down, Gaston. You'll have another stroke if you keep getting stressed out like that.
>>
>>30549102

No, it's not, but if someone's goal with their first gun is just to be different, then they might as well go full over the rainbow mode with it, instead of picking a dying cartridge.
>>
>>30549176
Federal HST 180 grain.
>>
>>30549225
thanks kindly gentlemen
>>
>>30549096
>1 : Magazine capacity. Most 9mm guns have one or two more rounds in the magazine for the same volume compared to .40. 10 rounds of 9mm is better than 9 rounds of .40.
Most defensive shootings don't require more than 2 or 3 rounds, and you're arguing 1 or 2 rounds difference when you're already carrying more than 10.
>2 : Weight. 9mm cartridges are slightly lighter than .40 cartridges, and components such as barrels may be lighter as well depending on the firearm.
The weight difference is so small that this is a non-issue.
>3 : Price. 9mm is usually cheaper per round than .40.
You can get .40S&W online for like $11 per box. That's pretty damn cheap, if you ask me.
>4 : Availability. 9mm is used more widely than .40 is, though .40 is still highly available and widely used.
No. If a gun store has 9mm, they have .40 too. It's the opposite that is sometimes not true. You're just lying to prove your point here.
>5 : Recoil. 9mm generally has less felt recoil than .40.
This is a non-argument. Guns are built to mitigate recoil a certain amount, depending on their design. Caliber shouldn't even matter if you're doing your job right. Compare a .40 caliber HK handgun with a 9mm Glock handgun and you probably won't be able to tell the difference.
>6 : Terminal performance. Good 9mm hollow points perform nearly identically to good .40 hollow points, giving .40 no real advantage over 9mm in any category.
Now you're just off in fantasy land. Hollow point projectiles are designed to stop after traveling a certain distance in gellatin. What gel tests don't show is their performance through barriers, which wouldn't be at all "identical" between the two calibers. .40 caliber has about 50% more momentum than 9mm, and that matters when you're shooting at vital organs that are located behind bone structure (like the heart).
>>
>>30549225
What can you tell me about the 140gr Xtreme Penetrator, from Lehigh?
>>
>>30549424
New and unproven. Cops use Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot and similar bonded hollow points, and we wouldn't have all these Black Lives Matter protests going on right now if those loadings weren't effective. Stick with what works.
>>
>>30548502
That pic really makes me question myself why to pay more for a m&p ..
>>
>>30549551
it was between this and a sig p2022 in 9mm

the sig was an extra hundred dollars, so i bought the SD40

I would have gotten a full size m&p but cant cause commiefornia
>>
>>30548502
Honestly its a good choice, I have one in 9mm. It was my first gun too. Good work anon.
>>
>>30548624
>better than a Glock
Debatable.
I say this as someone who prefers hammer fired guns.

Still, it's an alright gun.

>>30548676
Not the line of thought I would have gone through, but whatever, you have a gun which works.
If you find yourself disliking the recoil, you should be able to get your money back, guns hold value very well assuming they're in even remotely passable condition.

>>30548705
True enough, though one could argue recoil vs ballistic performance, along with ammo costs.

>>30549016
Pretty much. Make sure you get to handle the gun, if you want to try out the trigger, ask first, be mindful of where the muzzle is pointing.
>>
>>30549383
>Guns are built to mitigate recoil a certain amount, depending on their design.
Short-recoil operation only does so much, if you've ever handled old AutoMag pistols in 10mm Magnum or .45WinMag, the slide is noticeably harder to rack and they kick a fucking lot (there's a reason nobody does rifles or high powered Magnum pistols operating on short-recoil in this day and age)

.40S&W objectively has more weight and pressure than 9mm Luger, and many .40S&W guns are built on 9mm frames due to ease of manufacture, shoot a Glock 17 and a Glock 22 side by side, it's noticeable.
>>
>>30549424
Inadvisable.
It brings .380ACP up to rather respectable levels of penetration but it's questionably safe in anything larger, you could overpenetrate.
>>
>>30548922
I was a CA gun owner once.
CA fixed that right quick.
>>
>>30549551
Higher capacity.
Slightly better inherent accuracy.
Overall nicer build quality.
Available in more calibers.
>>
>>30549096
Fuck off tripnigger
>>
>>30550594
Nice strawman. We're not talking about 9mm vs. 10mm magnum. We're talking about 9mm vs. .40S&W. The difference can be compensated for with a heavier slide and heavier recoil spring.

>.40S&W objectively has more weight and pressure than 9mm Luger, and many .40S&W guns are built on 9mm frames due to ease of manufacture, shoot a Glock 17 and a Glock 22 side by side, it's noticeable.
I specifically talked about gun design and referred to HK .40 caliber pistols, since HK actually does their job right and redesigns their guns for each different caliber. Obviously Glock doesn't do that, which is what has given the caliber such a bad name.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.