[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are non ranging reticles still a thing on cheap scopes? Is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: rs_duplex2complex_200904-a.jpg (20 KB, 420x311) Image search: [Google]
rs_duplex2complex_200904-a.jpg
20 KB, 420x311
Why are non ranging reticles still a thing on cheap scopes? Is mildot so fucking hard to etch?
>>
>>30541647
Off the top of my head:
>Not everybody wants one.
>They're not necessary for every application.
>Cheaper variable scopes tend to be 2nd focal plane, which means the scale only works at one setting anyway.
>It's one more thing to make a scope fail quality control, which eats into your margin.
>>
etching costs money to do correctly and most people use cheap scopes with no intention of shooting much further than point blank ranges (<250 yards for most centerfire rifles)
>>
The scope on my BLR has a duplex crosshair but I can still adjust the range on it.
>>
>>30541647
because using the turrets to adjust for your shot is a much more accurate method to make the shot. With mildots you are basically using a slightly more accurate redneck windage for your holdover.
>>
>>30544241

Which is why mildot are not used like that if it can be avoided (read: there is enough time). However for those who know how to do it, mildot reticle is useful for measuring distance to target.
>>
>>30541647
Most end users don't need or want it, and it costs extra so they don't.
>>
>>30543299
>249 yards is "point blank"
You're one of those shooters that calculates "the curve of the Earth" into his shooting equations? And never actually hits his targets, but "they're so far away, it's not like anyone else could have hit it either, huhhrrr"
>>
>>30546456
>this guy has no idea what MPBR is

Fuck off. You don't belong in this thread in the first place.
>>
>>30546456
Not him, but I was brought up in the military hitting targets at 300 meters (328 yards) using iron sights. This was done with deliberate sighting and the accuracy was minute-of-man, but it was very doable.

Slap on any kind of magnification, and things get much easier, especially when the repeat zero of your weapon is about at that range.

For anybody with above 4x scopes, 300 yards should be child's play, and I say that as a merely ok shooter.
>>
>>30541647
Mildot is not necessary on ordinary rifles.
>>
>>30542252
This.
I'm fine with circle dot on my scope as it's lower magnification.

Plus 2nd focal plane mil-dot is garbage.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.