[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is a 57mm naval gun mounted on a modern warship.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
This is a 57mm naval gun mounted on a modern warship.
>>
>>30532557
This is a 127mm naval gun also mounted on a modern warship.

My question is, could rounds fired from the 127mm gun be intercepted and shot down by the by the 57mm gun from the previous post?
>>
File: not a pea.jpg (2 MB, 2354x3000) Image search: [Google]
not a pea.jpg
2 MB, 2354x3000
>>30532557
they look like pea shooters
>>
>>30532686
Expansion of the original question.

Could the 57mm gun in the OP shoot down the 406mm rounds from the Iowa's naval guns?
>>
>>30532729
iowa rounds are solid steel
>>
Bbfag is crafting complex baits now. Be on the lookout.
>>
>>30532567
>can a 57mm shoot down a 127mm
I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure CIWS takes care of it. It just blasts 20mm until the round is gone. both rounds would be used for offense. The Phalanx CIWS can shoot 4,500 rounds a minute. That should do the job
>>
>>30532795
The ship where the the 57mm in question is mounted is the USS Freedom, it doesn't have a Phalanx.
>>
>>30532804
then they better find the enemy first and run and gun or god help them
>>
>>30532567
Short answer, probably not. While ballistic, most high caliber guns have very high muzzle velocities. The 127mm Mark 45 you posted actually fires at about twice the speed of sound. Intercepting such rounds is difficult.
>>
>>30532686
Very accurate, long ranged, high rate of fire "pea shooters". Give it up BBfag. You belong at the bottom of the ocean along with your precious antiques.
>>
File: marder2isexpensive.jpg (104 KB, 1023x561) Image search: [Google]
marder2isexpensive.jpg
104 KB, 1023x561
>>30532557
This is that same 57mm naval gun, but on a marder chassis.
>>
>>30532729
It could divert the flight path, but probably not outright stop a 16" shell.
>>
>>30534607
Diverting the flight path would be more than enough to stop a 16" shell.
>>
>>30532686
When you got anti-ship missiles, you dont need big guns anymore
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.