[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
alternating buckshot and slugs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 2
File: Model870-Wingmaster.jpg (157 KB, 3564x610) Image search: [Google]
Model870-Wingmaster.jpg
157 KB, 3564x610
for home defense, is loading up a shotgun with every other shell in the magazine buckshot and then slug and then buckshot and then slug etc. a good idea? or should I just stick to one kind of ammunition?
>>
my reasoning being, a slug would pack more punch, but have a lesser chance of a hit, and buckshot being a higher chance of hit, but potentially less punch if I missed?
>>
also shotgun recommendations? I heard the old Remington 870s are good but the newer ones aren't as well built as the old ones...
>>
>buckshot being a higher chance of hit
>in a home
"no"
>>
>>30530480
don't meme on me, give me some feedback here man
>>
>inb4 fuck that shit buy an AR15 instead
>>
>>30530540
A pistol works too.

Faggot.
>>
>>30530391
If you can find it 1 buck is about the best for use on human. 4 buck works and is less of an over penetration risk. All run the risk of going through your house and over to your neighbor. Personally I would evaluate your home, budget, laws, and how many people live with you to figure out what would be best. The shotgun is not the easiest weapon to manage and may not be the best tool for the job
>>
>>30530579
my home is an apartment
wat do
pistol, shotgun, rifle, or rape whistle?
>>
>>30530611
What state, brick involved? Sheetrock or just drywall for interiors and how much funding to work with (leaning towards pistol thus far)
>>
Load that thing up with 00 or 000 buckshot. Its more than enough against any human attacker. I see no reason why I should use slugs for home defense. Especially considering the short HD shooting distances, shot and slugs have more or less the same force but with shot its applied over a slightly larger area - even at 5 feet shot spreads a little larger than the sole diameter of a slug.
>>
File: 85625_ts.jpg (127 KB, 1155x1155) Image search: [Google]
85625_ts.jpg
127 KB, 1155x1155
I use #4 buckshot, 20 something 6mm pellets, they all stay on a A4 piece of paper at about 10 yards, so the spread is about chest size on the longest indoor distance i could shoot in my house.
>>
>>30530656
Minnesota
no brick in this building
>>
>>30530656
and my budget is within 2000 dollars
>>
so basically slugs are useless unless hunting?
sorry guys haven't used a gun since deer hunting years ago :(
>>
I'm willing to learn teach me your ways /k/

a guy getting back into guns
>>
>>30530740
Not as familiar with that state's laws but pistol if you can. Find one that is comfortable to grip (fits your hand) and is in a relatively common caliber. Light is a good idea but may not be as necessary for apartment (mine was light enough to never need one). Also be sure to buy at least 50 rounds for break in / familiarizing with weapon. If you can try before buying aka range rental do so as it will limit buyers remorse in helping to confirm good fits for you. Or fuck it and go with a ar 15 with hollow points.
>>
with all the political shit going on that I won't talk about (for fear of the mods deleting the thread)I just need to know what gun I need before they are potentially banned....
>>
>>30530794
do you suggest 9mm or .45ACP?
>>
>>30530797
All of them. But seriously any combination of pistol rifle and shotgun you are comfortable with and have a few hundred if not thousand rounds for each
>>
>>30530794
and if I say
>fuck it AR15
are there rifles that can accept .223 Remington as well as 5.56 NATO?
>>
>tfw not a total gun noob but still not comfortable enough without /k/'s help
>>
>>30530806
Whatever you are more comfortable using. I am used to either but in different pistols. Mag capacity, recoil, and availability of good ammo (depends on weapon) would be what would make that choice for me.
>>
>>30530830
Yes, any rifle with a 5.56 chamber can accept .223 as well. A .223 wylde chamber works for both as well.
>>
>>30530830
Yes. Get an AR with a 223 Wylde chamber.
>>
>>30530830
While I have yet to run into a 223 only ar I am sure snowflakes exist. But if it can do 556 it can do 223 without any significant change in performance at apartment distances
>>
>>30530856
Snowflake detected but would have fun with
>>
>>30530854
>>30530856
>>30530859
so if it can handle 5.56 it can handle .223 no problem?
>>
>>30530876
Only will notice much of a difference past 200 meters
>>
>>30530876
Yes. Cartridge shape is identical but 5.56 are hotter.
>>
>>30530845
if by "comfortable" you mean "how much recoil can you handle" then I have no problem.
>>
>>30530876
yes.
>>
thank you guys so much for the help but I still don't know.
>Glock
>Remington 870
>AR15

for a first time owner, but not first time user?
>>
>>30530901
and obviously I would like all 3 and 1000+ rounds for each but I have to start somewhere.
>>
>>30530893
I have no problem with a 44 magnum but I would likely never keep one for home defense. Accurate and quick follow up shots matter more than "stopping power" in any shooting I have seen or read about. Some folk are awesome up to 50ae. Personally 357 or 40 is the happy medium for quick follow up shots for me while my wife is more about the 9mm or 380. If you can do a 3 target box drill with ease it is a good sign
>>
>>30530901
Probably glock then. Lets you have a hand free to call cops/cleanup crew
>>
>>30530927
hmm. if I go the pistol route for first gun that opens another question. 9mm/45 semiauto or .357 revolver?
>>
>>30530933
I know your glocknade memes fool
memeposters get the fuck out
>>
>>30530934
While I love 357 revolver muzzle flash big boom enclosed space (possibly tight enclosed space). Probably would advise 9mm with whatever quality hollow points the gun likes
>>
>>30530942
Pipe down kid adults are talking
>>
>>30530960
manchildren can meme somewhere else. adults are talking about best first gun
>>
>>30530968
Meme use calling out manchild.....not sure if troll or retard.
>>
>>30530954
what of reliability semiauto vs revolver?
>>
>>30531011
Modern versions of both are stupid reliable especially with a lot of companies mentioned often on these boards as desirable/meme/or basic. If you are likely to use it soonish find a cheaper but still reliable model so you are not out too much when the cops locker fuck it
>>
>>30530968
>>30530980
Shut up both of you.
>>
guys give it to me straight
rifle
pistol
shotgun
if you could only have one, which?
>>
>>30531049
Assuming you are the guy in MN apartment pistol unless you are in riot flood zone in which case rifle
>>
>>30531058
small town MN away from that BLM shit in the big city
>>
>>30531063
Pistol then and budget wisely. Shooting a mother fucker is expensive even when you do it right
>>
>>30531075
understood. I'd rather have and never use than need and have without. thanks /k/anon.
>>
>>30531082
Best attitude to have bro. Out of curiosity do you guys have the job flight and heroin epidemic the north east is drowning in as well?
>>
>>30531103
not sure man, I just moved here to MN from just across the Mississippi in WI a few months ago for my job. I don't do drugs so I couldn't tell ya.
>>
>>30531120
I do know that there are people around here that are on hard drugs. if it's heroin or what, I couldn't say. and as far as the job flight I have no idea.
>>
>>30531158
Hmm if its not all over the news and visible on the way to work probably not bad at all
>>
>>30531177
well it's a small town so of course I don't see junkies on the corner on my way to my agricultural job. but Im sure there are methheads out there man.
>>
>>30531177
For context of the prior question look up Wilmington DE re crime heroin and job loss also thuggicide for general grim humor
>>
>>30531190
Ah gotcha I wasn't sure if we were dealing with a developed (over) town or more dispersed ruralish
>>
>>30531191
>look up Wilmington, Delaware
>Murdertown USA
shit man. you live there? be safe brother.
>>
>>30531203
it's a farm town of 2000 and the closest (bigger) city is in Wisconsin a city of 50,000 and that city had had problems recently with crime and drugs. all the fuckers moving in from Chicago and Milwaukee and shit. bringing their ghetto mentality with them.
>>
>>30531204
Used to moved north for better work and now it's just heroin and entitled panhandlers
>>
>>30531229
damn...
>>
>>30531220
Describes every community with section 8 Wilmington transplants throughout DE but hey diversity is for strong communities right
>>
>>30531239
Up end I get a pension and a fuck ton of overtime for watching over the mentally ill and never having to deal with the VA again. Downside blm flood zone and commie tier laws
>>
>>30531243
what's better for communities is the 2nd Amendment. while we still have it.
>>
Saiga with slugs.
>>
>>30531253
I just help the company farm organic frozen vegetables lol
>>
If you pump it just right then the next buckshot will deal critical damage.

Solid plan OP
>>
>>30531258
I'd love a Saiga but man I'm not made of money

tripping to ease confusion
>>
>>30531271
this is not Team Fortress 2 man
>>
>>30530489
Ok. You're a fucking retard who should know that the real life spread of buckshot is nothing like that of video games. Fucking muppet. Get off /k/.
>>
>>30531264
Work is work and if it pays enough that you can support your family and not be pissed at the world (seriously fuck most of Afghanistan) then it doesn't matter what you do
>>
>>30531283
fuck off and die I know its 4chan but goddamn son get a fucking life
>>
OP, go get a SR22 and fill it with ratshot/snakeshot. Its your best option.
>>
>>30531291
you're a veteran then?
I work with a lot of veterans. good guys.
>>
>>30531256
We will have it the whole time we have a constitution. That being said who knows what silly regs will get pushed to price ownership up the wealth brackets
>>
>>30530901
I'd go with a Mossberg over the Remington. They're QC is still dicey, and Mossbergs don't have that annoying flap in the shell loading port.
>>
>>30531307
Lot of us sure but when we have a shithead they are an epic shithead
>>
>>30531310
that's why I want a weapon now. but if the time comes, I hope the 2nd is used to it's fullest. and I really fucking hope the military makes the right choice and stands by their oath to the Constitution of the United States of America.
>>
>>30531328
noted. Im not stuck to a specific brand, however I grew up shooting Remington 870s and Smith & Wesson revolvers
>>
>>30531272
>I'd love a Saiga but man I'm not made of money

You don't need to made of money one of them.
>>
>>30531332
I will say for the 6 years I was in we saw more and more civil disturbance (riot duty) training often with state and local police paired with all kinds of death by power point for every conceivable form of do not rape do not suicide watch out for home grown terrorism imaginable. If not for a substantial number of my unit having been deployed multiple times, working as cops/corrections, been batshit crazy gangers or militia types we would have never trained to fight
>>
>>30531372
point blank, do you think the military would be ok with firearms being banned? would they go along with it? I know we are venturing into /pol/ territory here but still...
>>
>>30530391
At point blank ranges like inside your average home, the shotgun will have negligible spread. The load may not even leave the shot cup.

Yes you can use birdshot for home defense. I have standard dove load in mine because it's the first box within reach.

It doesn't matter because it don't spread, and all of that 1 1/8 oz. of shot will hit the same place.

The difference is that the birdshot will break apart on the target, or the wall should I miss the first shot. A slug will go through. At 15 feet, the birdshot may as well be a frangible slug.

Besides, if I miss I have another one ready, because I use a semi-auto. That's what matters.

It doesn't matter what you put down the barrel, as long as it can kill somebody, but not through your house.

What matters is that you shoot first, and if you miss, you have a backup. Even a double barrel can accomplish this.

(you could also throw on a rifled barrel and use buck to actually see spread in such a short distance, for shits and giggles)
>>
>>30531392
Enlisted less so officer more so allow for regional and ethnocultural backgrounds to vary the scale. Longer term demographic fuckery incoming but for now a lot of the ones who would be sent would not be too into it
>>
>>30531405
wasn't thinking of using birdshot...
>>
>>30531413
the question is do enlisted have the courage to disobey an unlawful order?
when you get down to it it's our only hope.
>>
>>30531417
Generally not my first choice. It CAN work but more can go wrong re penetration. Would not want to take a point blank hit but would prefer my chances against birdshot vs buckshot
>>
Ar15 with 55 vmax is best choice for home defense.
>>
>>30531426
Publicly no generally not but shamming, sabotage, missed items on searches, half hearted patrols and false reports would likely be rampant. Also keep in mind the military has shrunk especially for combat roles since USSR ceased being relevant so we may easily see that civilian military force Obama mentioned being more relevant than the military
>>
>>30531451
I see.
>>
>hey I'm using X for home defense
>HURF HURF GET AN AR INSTEAD

Every single time.
>>
>>30531463
May sound pol as fuck but the moment I can move to a more rural white small town with no bus lines I will and would not recommend the service to my kids
>>
>>30530489
>>30531283

If you want that spread you should think about a Taurus judge or S&W Governor
>>
>>30531469
that sounds like a plan man!
>>
>>30531468
Eh they do ok to good at putting someone down. My only concerns are keeping a hand free for whatever needs to be done (if not shooting) and replacement cost. Would have no problems rocking a hi point if money was tight
>>
>>30531481
>keeping a hand free
why? to fap?

>HiPoint
enjoy that skin sliced off your hand when the slide comes back.

goddamn guys I may be a relative gun noob but I wasn't born yesterday.
>>
It's 6 AM on the east coast, OP.

The only people that are likely to be on are europoors. Everyone else is asleep, on their way to work, or not worth taking advice from.
>>
>>30531494
Phone use if not shooting. Cops respond better when they know what they are rolling up on. As far as slicing how high up are you holding that fucker
>>
>>30531509
Or night shift with the crazies and fuck me mandatory ot till noon
>>
>>30531509
ok so airshit advice is all I'm likely to get?
the hazards of working the graveyard shift I guess. I'll try again if/when I get a day off.
>>
>>30531516
10pm to 2am has a good spread for est
>>
>>30531523
I'm CST
>>
>>30531513
HiPoints are known for not being safe or comfortable for your shooting hand
I've shot one before
you have to make damn sure your hand is not in the way of the slide when you shoot otherwise you got some skin taken off
what else do you expect from cheap shit
>>
>>30530391

Steel slug with zippo pin in it.
>>
Home defense?
Pipe bomb.
Very cheap, requires no practice, 100% effective
>>
>>30531539
Damn guess I just have the grip profile that works for them. I know my dad had that kind of problem with full sized glocks so makes sense it can bite lower on the budget too
>>
>>30531539
That isn't really a cheap gun thing. You want your greasy sausage mittens out of the way of the slide on any gun.

Hi-Points aren't good guns and they don't have very good ergonomics, but they are perfectly safe to operate.
>>
>>30531573
This seems in line with experiences to date
>>
Load the whole fucking thing with #4 and be done with it.
>>
>>30531830
Not at all a bad option and did that for a while due to NY problems
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.