[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
1911 slide cocking wont work
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
So I have a Springfield armory mil spec 1911. I wanted a beaver tail on this so I went with the drop in model. I also got their value line hammer and the recommended sear that goes with it. The gun can drop mags, manual cock, function checks just fine. Only problem is that I can't seem to be able to cock the gun with the slide. It only goes back to a half cock position. I can cock the gun and dry fire it without a problem but I can't seem to get it to cock when sliding. Any ideas what the problem could be?

Pic related
>>
>>30522054
inb4 airsoft troll.
>>
>>30522054
>Drop in
>1911

No such thing m8
>>
>>30522085
No shit. I had my toolbox and whatnot at the ready. As long as I didn't have to modify the frame I didn't care
>>
Nobody?
>>
>>30522828
Are you sure you reinstalled it correctly?
>>
File: IMG_2575.jpg (509 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2575.jpg
509 KB, 3264x2448
>>30522078
lol did you love my bread yesterday?
>>
>>30522054
Are you sure the pin is through the mainspring giving it tension?
>>
>>30522973
I believe so. I can manually cock the pistol just fine.
>>
>>30522998
And you can pull the slide back? That should bring the hammer back with it.
>>
>>30522998
Can you take out the sear and hammer and mount them in the pins on the outside of the gun and take a picture? I want to see the face where the sear interacts with the hammer.
>>
>>30522085

1925 called they want their mass production techniques back

you moron
>>
>>30522998
Let's narrow it down. What's the difference between your thumb dragging back the hammer vs. the slide dragging back the hammer?

The slide going back into position is decocking the gun. Your disconnector is messed up or something.
>>
>>30523034
Depending on what you get and what you're swapping out and what gun it's going into, fitting may still be required even if it is labeled as a drop in part.
>>
>>30523019
I can pull the slide back with no problem. The hammer will travel with it. However, it won't fully cock by racking the slide, it will stay in a 1/4-1/2 cocked position after being racked via the slide. I can manually cock the hammer into the fully cocked position, however.
>>
>>30523044
I'm using the same dis connector as before. I upgraded the beaver tail, hammer, sear, hammer strut. The 1911 was cocking fine before.
>>
>>30523617
Put all the old parts back in to make sure it's the new parts that are the problem and not just an assembly issue
>>
>>30522054
Manually cock the hammer, than pull the slide back slowly and see if the slide pushes the hammer down a little further than fully cocked.

Maybe the notches for the sear aren't exactly where they are supposed to be, so when you manually cock it, the hammer stays back. But when you rack the slide, it doesn't push the hammer far back enough to catch on the sear.
>>
>>30522963
I actually did, hearty laugh at the end.
>>
place your old hammer ontop of your new hammer and compare them
>>
>>30523827
That was a pretty funny thread
>>
Make sure the new hammer strut isn't a wacky shape. I ordered a WC part for someone's TRP years ago and the strut was shaped incorrectly for some reason. It caused the exact same issue you're having.
>>
>>30525323
I bought a WC hammer strut to throw into the new job. Would it be wiser to try the original hammer strut? At work at the moment so I unfortunately can't side by side them right away.

The new parts I used:
WC drop in beaver tail
WC value line hammer
WC value line sear
WC hammer pin
WC hammer strut
>>
>>30522054
>doesn't have the nice cocobolo wood grips on his Mil Spec
what is wrong with you? those crappy plastic grips are sitting in the box mine came in and they will never see the light of day. you spend all this money and time dressing up your 1911 and you still have those cheap grips on there. put the nice wood ones back on or buy some after market ones.
>>
>>30526184
I don't think you can usually just drop in a sear, especially if said sear was made by a different manufacturer than your gun.
>>
>>30526345
This sear was recommended explicitly by WC to use with this hammer
>>
>>30526309
Oh I agree. I just throw on the plastic grips when I'm dousing the gun in clp. My ballistol is in the mail.
>>
>>30526624
It's not just the shape of the hammer and sear that affect safe trigger operation. It also depends on how far apart the hammer and sear holes are in the frame.

Have you tried this persons suggestion?
>>30523758
>>
>>30526771
I gotta try it out when I get off of work. I saw reviews from people with Springfield mil specs saying this very same setup worked for them. I'm hoping I just messed up how I mated the sear and the hammer.
>>
>>30526800
I'm always paranoid about dropping in firing control components into 1911s as every manufacturer makes them slightly differently. I hope your's is just an assembly error.

I also like to use this guide to detail strip and reassemble my frames:

http://how-i-did-it.org/detail-1911/index.html
>>
>>30526853
That's a nice guide! I was cross referencing some YouTube vids but that author has some nice photos
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.