[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Suppressors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 16
File: latest.png (27 KB, 512x256) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
27 KB, 512x256
So, just how quiet ARE suppressors, really?
>>
Depends on caliber and size
>>
>>30515822
The suppressors themselves are completely quiet.

Now, if you're talking about how loud a gunshot is through a weapon with a suppressor, there are a lot of variables such as suppressor type, caliber, loading, and barrel length.
>>
File: 1459179849964.jpg (172 KB, 475x931) Image search: [Google]
1459179849964.jpg
172 KB, 475x931
Suppressors are not about dampening the gunshot, they are about distorting the sound so it doesn't sound like a gunshot.
It does however lower the gunshot sound by a significant number of decibels, and you can find videos online of shooting with, and without them to answer your question.
Tl;dr. Google it
>>
>>30515834
Well yeah, and obviously supersonic rounds aren't going to be suppressed much

But can you completely silence, say, a .22? A 9mm?
>>
For centerfire pistols they turn an extremely loud *BANG* into a still-pretty-damn-loud *thock*.

For .22's they actually make them pretty quiet. Most people wouldn't recognize it as a gunshot.

Never been near a centerfire rifle with a can, so can't speak on that.
>>
They aren't like they are in movies. The idea of a suppressor isn't *exactly* to silence the noise, but deafen it in a way that unless you're near to it, you won't be able to tell which direction it was fired from.

Two men in the woods, a km apart. One with and one without a suppressor. The one with the suppressor can likely fire multiple times before the guy without one can locate him. The guy without a suppressor gets one shot. At two, he can be located.
>>
>>30515861
Not if physics has anything to say about it.
But in all seriousness, somewhat. SAS soldiers have claimed that the supressed mp5's action cycling was louder than that of the round fired.
>>
>>30515861
Maybe not completely but almost
>>
>>30515840
Not OP but I was considering going to the QTDDTOT for some suppressor related questions?

What's their usual "lifespan"? I keep hearing they wear out but I assume they're user-maintainable

I hear the ones for 22 are prone to getting gunned up more often and that's because 22 is a dirty round

I also once saw here on /k/ that shooting sonic ammo out of them makes the echoing or whatever sound like you're taking fire from the sides

also what actually does a suppressor do to ballistic performance?
>>
>>30515822
It sounds like a quieter gunshot.
>>30515854
You're a retard.
>>30515861
No, even subsonic rounds are still fairly loud.
The only totally dead silent guns I can think of were those one off single/double shot weird cartridge pistols like the KGB (and probably CIA) made during the cold war. And I doubt many people have ever even shot those or if there's even any video, so who even knows.
>>
>>30515931
>I also once saw here on /k/ that shooting sonic ammo out of them makes the echoing or whatever sound like you're taking fire from the sides
See >>30515890

That's the *general* idea. Hide which direction your fire is coming from.
>>
>>30515822
like medium quiet dude
>>
>>30515861
>.22
Completely silent, depends, if the suppressor is wet, it'll sound pretty quiet, bordering on inaudible, especially through walls or ambient noise.

>9mm
Still somewhat loud, even with a wet suppressor.
>>
It gets down to a non-permanent ear damage sound levels. It's not *thht* *thht* solid snaking your way through a warehouse full of people quiet.
>>
>>30515822
From my limited experience it depends on the caliber. A .22 is virtually silent, .223/5.56 is still moderately loud (loud enough it's not unreasonable to still wear hearing protection, just not absolutely necessary) but it cuts off the report (as in if you fired the rifle normally then you would hear a loud and then slowly fading bang. With a suppressor it's more like a whip cracking with a loud bang that essentially cuts out entirely a second or so later instead of fading out), and .300 blackout is somewhere between the two.
>>
>>30515991
What you're talking about the suppressor's ability to effectively "shorten" the sound waves, via material reduction of vibration, and reducing the Doppler effect when your bullet breaks the sound barrier.
>>
>>30515946
>You're a retard
nou
>>
>>30516006
Makes sense.
>>
not very with supers, which is all i use

but

they eliminate blast and flash and /might/ reduce recoil(?) but im mostly shooting 5.56 thru my 762sdn6 so ... lol556recoil

theyre primarily my 3rd layer of earpro, on top of plugs and muffs

inb4 /k/ meme about needing tougher ears
>>
CMON GUYS. Fucking hell...

http://www.gunsandammo.com/gear-accessories/suppressors/ga-basics-how-suppressors-work/
>>
>>30515931
Usually, you can take a suppressor apart and clean out the baffles which get gunked up with carbon. The span of time it takes to gunk up a suppressor varies, but in general it's around a few hundred rounds. Overall, quality suppressors that are well maintained can last a lifetime.

Suppressors act like extra barrel length in terms of adding to velocity. This can affect trajectory, but doesn't make something more or less accurate, just shifts the point of impact.
>>
File: velocity.png (28 KB, 1659x775) Image search: [Google]
velocity.png
28 KB, 1659x775
>>30516156
Except it doesn't. In a test of two rounds (5.56 and .300 BLK) there was found to be a 1 to 3 percent increase in velocity for the 5.56, in other words, statistically insignificant. The .300 showed no increased in velocity at all.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/05/foghorn/ask-foghorn-does-a-silencer-effect-the-velocity-of-the-bullet/
>>
>>30516156
>it just shifts the point of impact
The only thing shifting your point of impact is now you have more weight on the end of the weapon, bringing it lower. Easy enough to account for after an hour (if that) at the range.
>>
>>30516156
>>30516191
>>30516220
am i the only one who zeroes with can on?
>>
>>30516228
Not at all. It depends on if you're going to leave it on for whatever you're doing.
I only use my can, and only ever got one, because some fuckers moved into the cabin across the street, and me shooting/hunting on my property at 3am sorta pissed them off.

They can probably still hear it, but I did my best.
>>
>>30516191
>click link
>zero mentions of barrel length
I wouldn't be surprised if 5.56 had increased velocity, if the barrel was <20".
>>
>>30516242
i also shoot a lot of different loads, shoot mostly uo close, dont free float or use good optics, or give a fuck if i have the POI drift slightly ...
>>
>>30516246
It doesn't matter the barrel length, as he fired both rounds from the same length barrel, so any change in velocity due to barrel length would have been cancelled out.
>>
>>30516255
>mostly up close

Yeah I imagine it might start to matter at maybe past 300 or 400 yards, and it's so easily fixable it really shouldn't.
>>
>>30516156
>act like extra barrel length in terms of adding to velocity
Pretty sure they do just to opposite. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af96XDdjvxY
>>
>>30515822
Not as quiet as media makes them sound, quiet enough that they should be recommended for everyone to use.
>>
>>30516332
just the opposite*
>>
>>30516332
Already did mate. Finish reading the thread.
>>
>>30515822
Pretty quiet but they mess with accuracy and stopping power.
>>
>>30516529
Fudds pls
>>
>>30515890
The idea of a suppressor is to let you shoot in your back yard without pissing your neighbor off. This is what Hiram Percy Maxim intended.
>>
>>30515822
quiet enough that they really should be regulated. You can't justify a silence for lawful home defence or hunting and the only real reason anyone would have one would be to do really bad shit.
>>
>>30516648
>You can't justify a silence for lawful home defence or hunting
>wanting all of the deer in the whole forest to hear you
>wanting to wake up everyone within a block of you home
It's really just people trying to be considerate.
>>
>>30516702
>wanting to wake up everyone within a block of you home
Shooting guns in a neighborhood
>considerate
pick one.
>>
>>30516762
I'll pick both thanks.
>>
>>30516648
You fuckers gotta read the threads. It doesn't turn the weapon into some magical silent killing machine, dickwad. We're talking a difference of 20-40 dbs here. Just enough to prevent you getting the EEEEEEE and not NEARLY enough to shoot someone inside a house/building and not have other occupants hear.
>>
For some reason I always thought suppressors would feel like rubber on the outside.
One of the biggest disappointments of my life.
>>
>>30516648

R E D D I T
>>
OP here, I'm thinking suppressed 9mm carbine, subsonic
>>
File: AAC Blast Baffle - 300 rounds.jpg (60 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
AAC Blast Baffle - 300 rounds.jpg
60 KB, 800x600
>>30515822
Not very. Good ones will take a 160 decibel rifle shot and turn it into a 132 decibel blast. 132 decibels is quite incredibly loud. A pistol can be truncated from 150 decibels to around 125 decibels. A .22 can be trimmed from 135 decibels down to about 115 decibels. Nothing gets quieter than that without special loads, and 115 decibels is far from silent. I wouldn't even call it quiet.
inb4 DeLisle shills spouting 70 year old numbers from stone age measuring technology before measuring standards even existed

>>30515854
>>30515973
>>30515991
>>30516529
Wrong. Stop lying.

>>30515931
They're not user-maintainable from a repair perspective, since manufacturing damaged parts yourself constitutes manufacturing a "silencer," which is illegal without a Form 1. Baffle strikes and minor damage can generally be repaired by the manufacturer, and most in the US have good warranties. Rifle suppressors tend to be welded solid and are not user-cleanable. They can last 10-15,000 rounds or more if not abused (high heat). Invariably though, rifle suppressors will eat the center of their baffles out. This is called blast erosion, and it's an unavoidable consequence of high velocity gas. Pic related is after just 300 rounds. Pistol and rimfire suppressors made with quality steel baffles, if user-cleanable, are essentially undeadable without physical damage caused.
>>
>>30516801
You have had a wonderful life anon
>>
>>30515923
This kind of anecdotal nonsense is such a load of crap. Soldiers, by definition, are hearing impaired. I know a former sniper and shooting instructor who has to read lips. Any suppressor is basically silent to this guy. I on the other hand have taken pains to conserve my hearing, and even the best rated .22lr can on a bolt action rifle sounds significantly gunshot-like to me, even from 100 metres away. Yes, even an integrally suppressed rifle. But a good suppressor makes a subsonic rimfire round comfortable to be nearby, even indoors, so yeah, they're useful. But ~110dB is still loud as fuck compared to casual conversation. Or even compared to shouting.
>>
>>30515822
You'd probably be comfortable without earpro, but it is still pretty damn loud.
>>
>>30515931
Clean your can if it's a rimfire can. That's why they're user serviceable.
>>
File: IronyMeter1.gif (34 KB, 314x192) Image search: [Google]
IronyMeter1.gif
34 KB, 314x192
>>30516830
>such a load of crap
>Soldiers, by definition, are hearing impaired
>>
A shitload of the fuckers in here parroting dumb stuff have probably never touched a can in their life.

A centerfire rifle in about the 308 range sounds about like an unsuppressed supersonic .22. It sounds VERY similar to that. The sonic crack is a signficant part of that.

With smaller than average cans or larger and larger rounds, it does sound a bit louder. Up to a lot louder, depending on how big the round is vs how small the can is.

A subsonic round in a bolt or break action gun is very close to "hollywood quiet". What they don't show in the movies is that a bullet hitting something is still pretty loud within a hundred to two hundred yards (obviously depends on your surroundings too- are you indoors? inna woods? an open field?)

When shooting my ARs suppressed people are often surprised how loud it is. It's still a good deal quieter to observers, but go release the bolt with you holding the AR with a proper cheekweld. Just that noise alone is enough to set your ears ringing if you do it a few times.

The only stuff I would shoot without ear protection are bolt actions with subsonics and 22s. It's still very comfortable to shoot a lot of supersonic stuff and pistols- but it does go past recommended safe exposure ranges, and it's still fairly "loud". It might not carry very far, but at the shooter's ear there's no mistaking you pulled the trigger on a gun.
>>
PLEASE, PLEASE READ THIS GUY'S FUCKING POST, AND THEN LOOK AT THIS: http://www.noisehelp.com/noise-level-chart.html

If you think you can just walk around making a noise as loud as an emergency vehicle siren (and that's with a .22 with subsonic rounds, which for you fuckheads, means they don't break the sound barrier and add the extra CRACK)

132 db is a fucking air raid siren.
>>
>>30516815
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GXwBmyT7nZk
>>
>>30516865
>depends on your surroundings
let's not forget it's subjectively more comfortable to shoot outdoors than indoors, suppressed or not
>>
>>30516891

It is impossible to judge how it sounds in real life based on youtube videos because it just does not carry over appropriately.
>>
>>30516865
>A subsonic round in a bolt or break action gun is very close to "hollywood quiet"

No, no it isn't. I don't know why you think a noise as loud as an emergency vehicle siren is Hollywood quiet.

http://blog.silencershop.com/22-suppressor-test-results/
>>
>>30516875
This bullshit again? It entirely depends on the design of the silencer (and that's what its called, not a suppressor).

For instance, link related. Just imagine how quiet it would be if you put some rubber where the bolt slams into.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM2XO45PrHA
>>
>>30515822
You'll get your birthday snatched and not even know.
>>
File: Ruger-10-22_subsonic.jpg (171 KB, 697x536) Image search: [Google]
Ruger-10-22_subsonic.jpg
171 KB, 697x536
>>30516865
*sigh*

Do you have a specific model, caliber, and can make that you're referring to when you say this?
>A subsonic round in a bolt or break action gun is very close to "hollywood quiet"
>>
>>30516940
see
>>30516981

Eight different models tested, and even more listed on that site, and not a single one rating a reduction more than 30 db. You're still at 110, motherfucker. "Hollywood quiet" my ass.
>>
File: 20160611_214530.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160611_214530.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>30516939
>>30516875

there is a huge difference between a sound that lasts for a fraction of a second and a sustained sound.

>>30516981

Go get a 180-200 grain bullet, stuff it in front of 9 grains of trailboss, shoot it out of a 24 or 26 inch barrel with an AAC SD or a Cyclone and get back to me.

Do you even own a silencer?
>>
>>30517008
Of course he doesnt, he would rather spout memes.

>>30516981
Except they are, but nice try.
>>
File: 1363636158928.png (11 KB, 150x150) Image search: [Google]
1363636158928.png
11 KB, 150x150
>>30516891
>>30516940
So you guys... you guys ACTUALLY think that...

You think that even if

IF

the recording equipment

Guys.

You think that if the recording equipment used

for these videos

The fucking recording equipment.

which is in nearly all cases a pocket-sized $150 camera or a PHONE

If it were capable of actually capturing the volume of any level of gun shot, from suppressed .22 CB cap through unsuppressed .338

IF it were capable of doing that

which it (is not)

NOT

If it were capable of capturing the sound and DID NOT ATTENUATE IT

If it were capable of accurately recording that sound, you think

You think that your speakers and/or headset... could actually

ACTUALLY play back a gun shot

A GUN SHOT

at full volume? Accurately. On your $15 Logitechs.

i just
>>
>>30517058

Im glad someone said this
>>
>>30517035

Probably, his sensitive virgin ears might get damaged as he equates a 22 to a rock concert.

> implying that noise level is as important as the amount of time you are exposed to it, which for a gunshot below an extreme level of sound is insignificantly low

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/noisehearingconservation/

>>30517058

I have been posting on this website for probably almost 10 years now and I have never felt like summer was here so hard as when I saw your post.
>>
>>30515854
You don't know shit.
I own 2 cans.(22lr and 308).
Both reduce dB level enough to shoot without ear pro comfortably.
>>
>>30517199
>Both reduce dB level enough to shoot without ear pro comfortably.
lol enjoy deafness dumbass
>>
>>30517058
You do realize there are videos of guys testing out these silencers with SPL meters that clearly demonstrate suppressed .22 rifles getting as low as like 80 dB?
>>
>>30517239
Yup. I have one of those sub-$20 Chinese SPL meters too. It's a bit more useful than a phone dB app, but still not nearly responsive enough for something as quick as a gunshot. Mine meters about 18dB lower than the proper laboratory type meters for the same can on the same host with the same ammunition. So yeah, not very useful.
>>
>>30517420
Nice assumptions there, retard.

For shits and giggles I want to see someone slap an external suppressor on an integrally suppressed 10/22 just to see your butthurt.
>>
>>30517491
I'm the retard. Uh-huh. And you're the smart guy who believes a suppressed gunshot, of ANY kind, can possibly meter at less than 100dB. Right.
>>
File: 9mm build.jpg (89 KB, 704x960) Image search: [Google]
9mm build.jpg
89 KB, 704x960
>>30515974
ehh it sounds like that to me when i'm putting rounds thru my warlock II on my walther p22. get some subsonic ammo that is strong enough to cycle the action and it can be scary quiet.

>>30516815
pic related is my setup that I spent waaaaaaaay too much money on. its fun to shoot but i would rather have put that 2k towards getting an axmc instead of an ai at. IMO pistol cans for use on pistols are over hyped I prefer mainly 22 cans for use on rifles or pistols or straight centerfire cans. There is a fuck ton of blowback and so if you ever need to use the can for HD you better hope the blowback gods are with you otherwise shit will be all up in your face and you won't see much besides your offhand pawing at your face.

>>30517220
according to niosh you can listen to 115db for <3 minutes per day. Or you can listen to 139db for <22.5 seconds per day. so in theory you should be able to withstand 22 gunshots thru a centerfire rifle as long as 2 things happen. 1) each round doesn't go above 139dbs and 2) at no point do you have ringing in your ears. if you have ringing in your ears then the conditions for the shoot are not optimal and you are more than likely causing irreparable hearing damage.
>>
>>30517220
Fuck off retard. You dickless poorfags don't even have a can faggot so what do you know?
I said comfortable. My 20inch howa 1500 without a can is ear ringing, but suppressed it's fine.
If I was at the range I'd use my howard leight as well but when hunting it's fine.
>>
>>30517507
Wasn't the DeLisle carbine around 86?
>>
>>30517507
You do realize the dB scale is logarithmic? 80 dB isn't that much quieter than 120.
>>
>>30517508
just to add on my second point being in an optimal shooting area for suppressed shooting is essential. just because you see someone testing numbers in an open field doesn't mean you can shoot next to a wall and have those same numbers. for a comparison on 22 noise lvls for both covered and open areas check out the ruger silent sr vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWK5VajO3_o
its like 4-7dbs louder from covered to open air shooting, and, I believe, every 3dbs it sounds twice as loud to the human ear so shooting environment makes a big difference.
>>
>>>>30517574
By means of ancient meter and microphone, yes. Modern reproductions test out at closer to 124dB. Which is still impressive.
>>
>>30517582
Gosh that sounds intelligent. Not. Yes, logarithmic. Which means 120dB is about 13 orders of magnitude louder than 80dB. Smartypants.
>>
>>30517535
sorry no time stamp, old shot from a facebook chat and too lazy to prove myself beyond this

was tempted to use "call him a cuck" shot instead, since thats clearly your preferred argument tactic

you're wrong, but it's delicious to know you're injuring yourself while i am trying to minimize my already shot hearing
>>
File: modified_uniqueD4_with_boxwood.jpg (162 KB, 1024x500) Image search: [Google]
modified_uniqueD4_with_boxwood.jpg
162 KB, 1024x500
Here's one of mine, on an old .22lr pistol. Easily quiet enough for indoor use, while outside it's very tame indeed.
>>
>>30517689
lol
>You realize the scale is supercalifragilisticexpialidocious right?
>>
>>30516277
what he means is that pressure drops as barrel length increases, so with a suppressor a 14" or 16" would benefit more than a 20".
>>
>>30517851
Does it hurt being that summer? No, really. Does it? Are you in constant pain?
>>
>>30517797
My 13.5" overbarrel suppressor drops the db down to levels which are comfortable. It's still loud.
You're the shitstain who's moving the goal posts by shitting on about being hearing safe.
Fuck you and your retardation.
>>
>>30515973
Use subsonics and 9mm will be rather quiet.
>>
>>30518710
calls me retarded while comfortably going deaf
>>
>>30517058
Nigga, I upgraded to the $150 Sennheisers, there's no way that they can't recreate an exact gunshot. In fact, I'm going to go shoot in to my microphone and play it back while also shooting in to my headphones.
>>
>>30515822
subsonic 22lr through a Spectre II with a bolt gun host is pellet gun quiet.
subsonic 9mm through a Glock with an Octane 9 is pretty quiet but the action of the slide still makes noise.... you can hear the bullet strike the target, still
5.56 is still an obvious gunshot but not quiet as EEEEE-inducing as unsuppressed. SilencerCo Omega and SPECWAR 556k here.
>>
>>30516648

>wake up in the middle of the night because intruder
>no time to put on earpro
>fire safely without blowing out your ears or the ears of your senpai
>>
File: OTs-38.jpg (29 KB, 550x422) Image search: [Google]
OTs-38.jpg
29 KB, 550x422
uh, isn't the OTs-38 pretty "silent"?

the QSPR is a similar pistol but fires .410 shells
said it was about 110 dB
>>
>>>>30521542
Pellet gun quiet, he says. Do you just pretend to be retarded on the internet or is it a full time job for you? I have pellet guns I can fire and someone in the hall with a door closed between us won't know there's been anything fired. At the other end of the range I have pellet guns which people thing are .22lr. Painful to shoot indoors and almost as bad outside. Pick one. I suppress the loud airguns of course, but seriously, let's just drop the pellet gun quiet meme, it serves no purpose other than to bring confusion into a discussion.
>>
>>30517840
Nice. Kind of looks like a prototype Beretta 71
>>
>>30515861

A suppressed .22 rifle sounds like a fairly large bear violently passing gas.
>>
Seems quiet to me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrzJZNhbyFE&t=30
>>
Anyone have a nice high quality form 1 suppressor?
>>
>>30523284
Yes, quiet. Not silent. At all.
>>
>>30523802
That's more or less what this one is. 6061 tube 1" OD about 6" long. 7 K baffles turned from 0.875" OD 7075 rod. Threaded end cap and rear plug.
>>
File: nested_small_K_baffles%20(2).jpg (104 KB, 1200x504) Image search: [Google]
nested_small_K_baffles%20(2).jpg
104 KB, 1200x504
>>30526243
Ack. This one:
>>30517840
>>
>>30526243
>>30526243

Nice. I am going to go the lazy prebuilt route since I don't have a lathe. Gonna be a 6 inch sdtac TI tube with TI 60 degree cones on 1/2x28 TI caps.

It should be pretty lightweight and overbuilt for a 22lr pistol can but I guess it will also run 5.56 in a pinch.
>>
>>30515923
I've got a HK MP5 with a Gemtech multimount. If I use subsonic ammo, the action and sound of the actual shot is comparable IMO.
>>
>>30521875
that's quiet
>>
>>30516816
suppressors with a huge amount of volume work well though.
>>
I was told by my granpa who shot hitter that suppressors are used as really really good muzzle hiders so that your position isn't instantly revealed but the sound is still there. Is this true?
>>
>>30526272
Woah, those are some coarse end-cap threads.
>>
>>30515822
For most guns a silencer will knock down the noise level from 140-160Db to 100-120Db quite enough not to cause hearing damage.

During ww2 the Welrod and De Lisle carbine were both reported to get under 90Db, the Welrod achieving ~75Db when fired.

During Vietnam there was the modified S&W model 39 "hush puppy" that was quiet enough to use in enemy villages without raising suspicions.
>>
>>30526272
Can I get some dimensions on those K baffles?

Also what angle do you set your compound to?
Should be the same as the angle of the cone right?
>>
>>30515974
That's why special forces use them they can't wear ear protection because they need to hear good
>>
>>30528952
>For most guns a silencer will knock down the noise level from 140-160Db to 100-120Db
>>
>>30529004
t3h summer, it burns
>>
>>30528943
15/16"-20. So yes, a bit coarse. I used a hand tap and die to cut the threads in the tube and caps. Stock and tools mounted on my little lathe which lacks anything like a thread cutting function. These threads work great. Alignment takes a bit of practice but not all that hard to do.
>>
>>30528954
Compound. Ham... nope. I use a TAIG mini-lathe. I cut the angles by manually cranking the tiny handles in directions which seem approximately sensible. No two K baffles are quite alike. All works out fine. Nicely quiet. They're about 0.55" long on average. Waists are about 2mm thicker than the bore, which is 1/4" initially then tapering up to 5/16" towards the end, just to avoid any runout issues.
>>
>>30529840
Not ham. Hm. Fone keyboard dammit.
>>
>>30515861
Ive used a 22 with sub sonic shorts and a homemade silencer and all you could hear was the firing pin, the impact of the slug was the loudest part of it
>>
>>30531756
>hollywood quiet with homemade can

yeah right
>>
>>30515840
>The suppressors themselves are completely quiet.

I admit, I giggled.
>>
>>30531756
No.
>>
File: Delisle carbine.jpg (97 KB, 1500x469) Image search: [Google]
Delisle carbine.jpg
97 KB, 1500x469
>>30515946
>>30515973
They're not wrong, you fucking faggot. A .22 or .45 can have the noise level reduced so much that you can hear the action of your weapon cycling.

See: Pretty much any well suppressed subsonic .22, the Delisle Carbine, and the .45 cal Mac-10.
>>
Dude they are called SILENCERS!
And you can put one on a .308 and shoot it in a babies room without waking it up.
You can blast as many clips as you have and no one would hear you.
>>
>>30534499
You're correct in that a gun can be suppressed to the point that the action cycling can be heard alongside the report.

No gun on Earth can be made quiet enough to ONLY hear the action or firing pin.
>>
File: RealShitSon.jpg (138 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
RealShitSon.jpg
138 KB, 1600x1200
>>30534499
>.45 cal Mac-10.

Yeah, no. I've got a giggleswitch MAC 10 in .45 and even with a suppressor it's still loud as hell.

The ~1150rpm cyclic rate doesn't help either. The bolt makes a shitload of noise cycling back and forth at that speed.

With the 9mm upper it's not as bad even with supersonic ammo, but the CAC cans aren't top shelf either.

Overall you can make the right cartridge combo with a bolt action or single shot pretty damn quiet with a suppressor. But not a semi or full auto.
An integrally suppressed 10/22 got pretty close, as did a 300blk build the guy did with an 18in barrel and a silencerco can, running subsonics in semiauto of course.
>>
robot devil, screaming in despair: OH GOD! haven't they suffered enough?

let this fucking thread die already
Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.