[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
9mm S&W Shield slide issue
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: 20160705_181631.jpg (3 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160705_181631.jpg
3 MB, 5312x2988
I have a nearly brand new M&P Shield 9mm. Working on getting CCW and after doing research and trying out many different compacts and subcompacts, I settled on this.

problem is, the slide sometimes stops short. Usually when chambering a round. I have cleaned and lubricated (according to the manufacturer guidelines, no more, no less.) Fired 250 rounds through it with no issues, different types of ammo. and taken it back to the shop where I purchased from where they could not readily duplicate the issue.

My question is, am i being too paranoid? obviously it is not affecting the function of the weapon, and this only occurs when not using much force to either let the slide spring back on its own, or forcing it back forward when chambering (something I do not do.)

thanks for the help /k/ I'm not new to weapons, but this is my first handgun purchase.
>>
File: 20160705_181635.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160705_181635.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>30513688
here's another shot of issue
>>
A similar thing happens to me when I incorrectly reassemble my P938 and M70A. Look online for a detailed disassembly/reassembly video online and see if theres something you're doing wrong. There is a chance though that this is a result of Shit & Wizzing's recent horrible quality control however.
>>
>>30513696
Can you replicate the issue without a magazine inserted?

Is it still happening after the 250 round break-in?

Could be excess plastic that just had to get shaved off by shooting it.
>>
>>30513688

I had this exact same issue with my Ruger LCP

It would only do it occasionally and only when chambering the first round. It completely stopped after ~200 rounds and never came back.

Push it to ~500 rounds and if it doesn't go away by the time the break in period is over, then send it in.

If this is your only carry gun, then I would just go ahead and send it into Smith and let them work on it. They'll probably replace the slide and spring.
>>
>>30513688
are you riding the slide?
>>
Don't worry OP I had the same issue with my new shield. The "issue" went away after 500 rounds or so.

But from now on, with any gun, just be more violent when racking the slide. Act like you want to rip that thing off the frame, pull it all the way back, then release and let the spring do its job.

I also had issues with mags not seating fully which I've solved by slamming them in.
>>
>>30513688
Happens to me too, I just put more force when pulling back the slide
>>
>>30513833
This
>>
>>30513833
just looked that up, and yessir I am doing that!

I was not even aware of that being an issue, goes to show I still have a lot to learn despite having experience

thanks for the replies here, I believe I've found my problem.

the question is, is it ok for me to release the slide (without riding) even with no round in the chamber? looking up "riding the slide" led me to some info that that can damage certain guns (1911)
>>
>>30515906
that said, M&P lock up is generally super loose
>>
>>30515906
>is it ok for me to release the slide even with no round in the chamber
yes
the 1911 thing is fuddlore that only really applied to highend 1911s that could be thrown out of tune by anything. somehow idiots decided to apply it to every 1911
>>
>>30515955
I don't understand what you mean by lock up?
>>
File: image(3).jpg (22 KB, 346x387) Image search: [Google]
image(3).jpg
22 KB, 346x387
>>30515982
Interesting
>>
>>30513688
>>30513833
This happens on my fulls size m&p when I ride it. Let the slide snap back the whole way after you pull it back.
>>
I just rented a Shield, CCP, 43, and a 19. While helping my father shop for his first gun.

The Shield, once, did this. I think my father rode the slide forward some. So i just pointed the pistol downrange and slapped the back of the slide, to put it in battery.
>>
>>30515982

Pretty much this. The only thing you need to worry about with a 1911 is to not drop the slide if a round is already in the chamber; it forces the extractor to snap over the cartridge rim and that is Bad.
>>
>>30513743
>shit & wizzings recent horrible quality control however.

You know I'm gonna need a source or a long explanation cuz I finally decided to buy a shield.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.