[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Virtual Battlespace Simulator Are these videos used for tra
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 11
Virtual Battlespace Simulator

Are these videos used for training purposes or just so the military can prepare their own version of events? I doesn't seem to excel at either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxrwROErlmY
>>
File: pale-faces.jpg (176 KB, 1277x674) Image search: [Google]
pale-faces.jpg
176 KB, 1277x674
Dude in the back is freaking me out.
>>
>>30510441
I-is that arma 2 animations/styles, with these fucking retarded 3d models? And it seems they made this weird badly made map instead of just using the regular arma 2 ones.

>also fucking saved topkek
>>
>>30510513

Guess it is, this version at least. I was expecting some cut and dry military recreation but the cut scenes are so bad they're funny.

>"VBS2 is based on the VBS2 Real Virtuality 2, also used in the video game Arma 2."
>>
File: ana.jpg (80 KB, 600x1017) Image search: [Google]
ana.jpg
80 KB, 600x1017
>>
File: teaparty.gif (3 MB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
teaparty.gif
3 MB, 600x338
>>
>>30510441
now that i think about it

i would buy a VR set just to do some OPs like this
>>
>>30510691

you want a VR tea party with some taliban?
>>
>>30510555
Oh shit, Isn't that the sim thats costs like three thousands bucks or some shit? And all it is, is like arma 2 with some shitty realism addons?
>>
>>30510441
>I actually had to sit through a three hour presentation about this in Fort Leavenworth
>The presenter un-ironically said this has great production values
Cool presentation though. They focused on like 3 months of operations before spending the last hour on Wanat.
>>
>>30510712
Tea party guy warned of the attack though
>>
>>30510747

Some interesting youtube comments on the Wanat video

>Absolute cover-up of the Intelligence failure of major proportions. The reliance of all the vaunted drones failed to uncover the MASSIVE movement of Taliban forces into the area. If I had survived the attack, I would have been brought on charges after I killed the S2. The report also glossed over the almost complete lack of artillery support because it was "difficult" to shoot into a hole surrounded by mountains. One volley of ineffective 155 fire IS NOT fire support!!!! 2 bombs from an AF plane IS NOT fire support. The arrival of 2 Apaches almost an hour after the fight started IS NOT fire support. If all the leadership, who never showed up until too late, was concerned about how a 2LT was positioning his forces, why didn't put boots not the ground to help the platoon out. Cowards, all and worse, incompetent. There was NO engineer support contrary to the report that kept on stressing that there was. What a LIE! One bobcat is nothing!

>Bottom line, the complete failure of the chain of command and their staffs is the ultimate reason for the sacrifice of a platoon of Airborne Troops. If I were the Company Commander, the Battalion Commander and the Brigade Commander as well as the S2s at all levels, I would put a gun in my mouth and fire for effect. Those guys are the epitome of the concept of mind over matter: The higher command doesn't mind, and the troops don't matter. What a complete whitewash of the Company Commander and above as far as fault. Although commanders they qualify as REMFs.
>>
>>30510786
I'm not sure if it was cop Ranchhouse or Wanat, but one of them was geographically unable to receive artillery fire.
>>
>>30510866
To add to this look at a map of Waygal. It is a supremely shittasic area for conventional forces. A lot of shit had to be air lifted in because the roads could not support more than a loaded hmmwv. They also only had two chinooks to carry supplies to the whole area.
>>
File: im-on-the-phone.gif (2 MB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
im-on-the-phone.gif
2 MB, 600x338
>>
>>30510691
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZssqtbeijiM

Was posted in another thread, gave me a hearty kek.

If/when headset resolutions increase and performance gets better, you can bet your ass that I'll be spending my weekends on Terry Taliban Tea Time.
>>
File: 1405187473459.gif (2 MB, 300x290) Image search: [Google]
1405187473459.gif
2 MB, 300x290
We used this once in ROTC last semester. Controls and movement are clunky as fuck, graphics are trash, and going through a village is unbelievably unbelievably annoying since in order to simulate (apparently) the noise level of a village in Afghanistan, the game plays 500 layers of "Allahu akbar" (srsly) and 20 layers of mooing cows cranked up to over 9000 db.

>simulated convoy ops
>4 classmates dismount to clear a hut while I pull security on M2
>see movement on left, try to swivel turret but too slow because camera movement in this game takes for fucking ever.
>"TL1, be advised, got a guy headed your way"
>classmate pulling security outside hut says oh don't worry it's just a kid
>said kid proceeds to run in hut and blow up everyone with a suicide bomb
>mfw
>>
>>30511061
So the lesson for ROTC is you should shoot children because they might be suicide bombers.
>>
>>30511098
No but you don't just let them run freely into a building you're pulling security for just because they're a kid.
>>
>>30510786
Interesting.
>>
>>30510441

This seems older, like they ran this scenario on VBS2, instead of VBS3 which is much more advanced.
>>
>>30511144

I wonder how they're going to stop them, it's to the point where I'm sure they'd rather let a squad of soldiers get blown to shit instead of creating some international PR nightmare, and I'm positive it's already happened a bunch of times. I mean, they still let fucking fishing boats and dinghies get close to ships even after the USS Cole because despite it saying no one can get closer than 300m or whatever, they can't actually enforce it because if they open fire CNN is just going to run with "US Military Racists open fire on poor innocent Muslims =( " for the next month.
>>
>>30511481
Not if kid actually has a vest. So just apply the old drop gun method cops used to use.
>>
>>30511481
>PR nightmare
Send any attached reporters to somewhere where they can't cause any undesired effects.
>>
>>30511038
That movie looks great, what is it from?
>>
>>30510441
I'm guessing it's a cheap and quick way way to make an informative video about a recent battle.
It's really not bad. Gets the point across in a non-Power Point form.
>>
>>30513067
Hot Dogs, Horseshoes & Hand Grenades
>>
>>30510747
>>The presenter un-ironically said this has great production values

Have you seen the trash the military typically uses?
>>
Some of the models seem to be older VBS1/OpFor style head scans.

Honestly, it looks perfectly fine for what it is.
>>
>>30510441
It's supposed to be informative rather than have great production values. It's pretty much just an animated AAR for people to discuss and take notes on.

The production values are fine and it lays out the events moderately clearly.
>>
>>30514621
this. Non-milfag here and I just realized how much but how little I really know about boots-on-the-ground basic shit. Excellent video.
>>
>>30514727
Here's a YouTube channel with a bunch of these CGI videos.

The SFX aren't great, and they are pretty dry, but they are informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVQ6F57w8_U&list=PL4T9BRDNJXlvyaW6IBwJ_4VjwPBMuX502
>>
>>30514749
fan-fuckingtastic, thank you.
>>
>>30514621

I get that, just the overly dramatic scenes and camera movement see >>30510513
seems out of place in what I assumed was made for investigative purposes.
>>
>>30515884
It's made by people who aren't professional media types, and they are trying to focus on certain things as important. Just like how the camera lingers on the unused mortar tube early in the video; it's film student tier direction.

And again, you seem to be misunderstanding what an AAR is. It's not an "investigation", it's shown to people as a kind of example of how fights go down and for them to discuss dos and don'ts. This is the kind of thing they would show in NCO school to promote critical thinking on combat leadership.
>>
>>30510441
shit looks like a bad half life 2 mod.
>>
>>30515978
>It's not an "investigation"

Yeah I get that, just how I found it while reading about Wanat and the investigation so I assumed it was related.
>>
It has gotten a lot better.

Still Armed Assault era animations, but the models are getting up to Arma 2 levels. The engine it's self is amazing in what it can do. I would kill for half of the features that VBS3 has to be put into Arma 3.
>>
>>30515884
>in what I assumed was made for investigative purposes.

The video is the product of the investigation, not the other way around.
>>
>>30516027
Try half life 1
>>
File: 1414381497281.gif (2 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1414381497281.gif
2 MB, 200x150
>>30511699
>Grunt :" And here is the mess hall MR cnn reporter, the ship can make salt water into pure water we get to locals----"

>Over the speaker " Dragon Red."

> feels reporter: " What's that mean?"

>Grunt: " Nothing, just reminding people know there will be a firing exercise here soon."
> CNN" Oh.."
>>
>>30510555
>>30510729

one of my friend worked on a battle simulator for the military, i think he said its something around 5000. he said the developer is Bohemia Interactive
>>
>>30517917
>feels reporter
I think you fucked that up but it's funnier this way.
>>
>>30510459
Is he a reference to FMJ?
>>
>>30514386
I have been tricked!
>>
File: k saves a feminist.webm (1 MB, 688x384) Image search: [Google]
k saves a feminist.webm
1 MB, 688x384
>>30519302
It's from the pilot episode of Ultimate Force, a bong tv show about the SAS. First two seasons had Chris Ryan as adviser, and are pretty decent.

Third season goes crazy and has one of the main characters decapitate a Zimbabwean warlord with a machete. Total dogshit, but I hatewatched the shit out of the rest of the series.
>>
>>30519338
Sounds good, I think I might watch that.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.