[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7
File: MTE5NDg0MDU1MDEwMjQ4MjA3.jpg (130 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
MTE5NDg0MDU1MDEwMjQ4MjA3.jpg
130 KB, 1200x1200
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."

-not Thomas Jefferson

Why do so many progun people do this (misattribute modern rhetoric to founding fathers)?

It makes us look fucking stupid, particularly when there's actual quotes about what they genuinely believed about the subject. It misinforms newer/younger progun people who might then parrot because someone they respect or listen to for advice repeated the horseshit to them. And honestly, there are actually plenty of things these figures DID say or write that clearly show their feelings on the subject, though not in such pithy, memetic sound bites.

It's MUH FEELS level rhetoric and leads to arguing in circles, except MUH FEELS gungrabs look better because at least they didn't lie about some shit George Washington said on the fifth of Fucking Never, Seventeen Imaginary-Nine.
>>
>>30489334
Why do people buy AK's and CZ's?
>>
>>30489334
I've never heard that attributed to TJ before your gay ass.
>>
>>30489354
because they secretly want to be Che Guevara like rebels and stick it to the man.
>>
>>30489334
Never heard that phrase before.
>>
those must have some very large guns or very small plows
>>
>>30489608
your mom thought both were large.
>>
File: $_57 (4).jpg (102 KB, 906x679) Image search: [Google]
$_57 (4).jpg
102 KB, 906x679
Beating swords into plowshares is a line from the bible. Just cuz one of your facebook friends claimed TJ said it doesn't me we all think he said it.
>>
>>30489334
>It makes us look fucking stupid

why do you identify with a ill-defined collective that consists of people who you will probably never meet?

i bet you make threads asking about /k/ approved anal sex lube as well.

so how about you just shut the fuck up and mind your own fucking life, twinky?

m-m-muh identity. you fucking faggot.
>>
>>30489636
The quote posted in the OP isn't the same as the biblical one about beating swords into plowshares. Rather, it's an argument against it.

The original quote is basically saying: "stop fighting, and instead of making weapons make tools that allow us to live alongside each other in peace".

The second quote, falsely attributed to TJ, is basically saying "If you do what the first quote is saying, those who don't put down their weapons will make you their slaves."
>>
Isaiah 2:4
He will judge between the nations and will settle disputes for many peoples. They will beat their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore.

Really a bad quote to use if you're pro gun.
>>
>>30489354
I agree. Why not build an AK instead? Much more rewarding, and actually more economical if you build enough.
>>
>>30489848
Read the OP before you mother fucking post
>>
File: iwo_jima_play_set.jpg (114 KB, 486x666) Image search: [Google]
iwo_jima_play_set.jpg
114 KB, 486x666
>>30489334
why do liberals parrot things like "indian cultures had "two spirit" people who they thought were magic see gay people aren't aberrants western society is just ebil" when it was made up in the 70's by gay rights activists and is viewed as cultural genocide by actual native americans assblasted about fags appropriating their culture for a shitty appeal to tradition?

you can blame all of this on "pre internet". Back in ye olden times of the early 90's you couldn't just google a quote, research a topic, or vette a source without going to a major library with a microfiche collection so people just lied out thier asses and whatever sounded right stuck

this is also why you always find so many old fucks claiming to be sas commados who punched hitler in the face in 1944 before killing 70 japs at the battle of iwo jima after transferring from the navy air corp where he blew up the yamamoto at midway
>>
Le we can't invade America becuz a Fudd behind every grass.
>>
>>30489334

CIA psyop, OP
>>
File: RMUT.jpg (5 KB, 161x131) Image search: [Google]
RMUT.jpg
5 KB, 161x131
>>30489623
>>
>>30489354
Name one American-made rifle that looks as good as the CZ 550FS.
>>
>>30489883
he's not replying to the OP you dumb fucking nigger
>>
File: TreeOfLiberty.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
TreeOfLiberty.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>30489334
>>
File: KennedyOn2A.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
KennedyOn2A.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>30492982
Working on one that basically just has the suggestions for 2A style wording that the States brought up during their ratifying conventions.
Like here:
http://www2.law.ucla.edu/volokh/2amteach/sources.htm#TOC2
>>
>>30492624
The Winchester Model 70
>>
>>30492982

man, that context gives it a different meaning entirely. Thanks for posting!
>>
>>30493095
How did it change it for you, just out of curiosity?
>>
>>30493112

The way I see it used on image macros and facebook-tier memes and stuff is usually 'government should fear da people' stuff. Usually to disagree with party-political stuff or making madcap theories about some decline into facism or indeed tyranny.

The full quote seems to be coming from somewhere entirely different. He basically says:

the brits are making up damn lies again! So what if we had a small rebellion? We are a big country, and these things happen. Hell, they aren't even wicked people, they're just ignorant. And anyway, rebellion is good for a country, keeps you honest. Damn brits talking shit..

So it seems more like arguing that the rebellion doesn't make the US a failure as a nation, and that it's no big deal that they had a rebellion, which he supports being put down. Completely different from the short quote, which sells it like some idealistic statement about liberty, or whatever.
>>
>>30489354
Because fuck you, I like Czechnology.
>>
>>30492624
Old marlins with the straight checkered stock. Browning anything if it's blue and wood.
>>
File: IDF-Barak-338-rifle-001[1].jpg (3 MB, 3507x1476) Image search: [Google]
IDF-Barak-338-rifle-001[1].jpg
3 MB, 3507x1476
>>30492624
>>
>>30489334
Because

"I'm incredibly autistic and easily triggered. Please rape my face." -OP
>>
>>30489334
>Why do so many progun people do this (misattribute modern rhetoric to founding fathers)?

Because misattributed quotes are a widespread phenomenon and have been for a very long time. Pretty much every great historical figure has multitudes of quotes that they didn't actually say.
>>
>>30489334
"There are two kinds of people in this world... those with a loaded gun, and those who dig."

--Blondie
>>
"SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED"
-All of them
>>
the same reason people lie and say that this country was founded on religious freedom for people like Muslims, Jews, and that we would have ever accepted black and brown immigrants - especially into political office
>>
>>30489334
>"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
never heard of this quote nor have i heard it attributed to thomas jefferson before you did
>>
>>30489699

In other words, it's quite offensive because it deliberately twists a biblical passage from its original meaning.
>>
>>30493015
what the fuck happened to the left man
>>
>>30489334
Ah, the good year of 17i9

Many glorious battles were won that year
>>
>>30498255
Got into positions of authority and decided they liked control more than anything else.
>>
>>30498315

The right is perfectly happy with control too.

The main difference is what the left and right want control of.
>>
>>30498255
The Soviet union infected our public education and university education institutions and each generation got more and more radically left wing.

Then the newly minted Democrats obtained power and took a liking to it. So they changed some shit around, became Liberals, and started steering the train towards a direction in which they would further consolidate and grow their power.
>>
>>30498328
I'd never claim otherwise. However, the guy was asking about the left in this case.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.