[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia- 36680899 How the fuck d
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-36680899

How the fuck do you "accidentally" fire a SUPERSONIC missile? Since this missile is supersonic, shouldn't it have a protocol, a key, or a password? Why would you attach a single-press button to launch SUPERSONIC missiles? Jesus, we were 5 centimeters near WW3 there!
>>
Well it was a drill so someone clearly fucked up and actually fired it
>>
STOP FAPPING I NEED ANSWERS!!!
>>
>>30473760
>Well it was a drill so someone clearly fucked up and actually fired it
Jesus, even if they fuck it up, there has to be a cancel launch mechanism especially A GODDAMN MISSILE!
>>
>>30473773
Cancel launch? They don't have a countdown, it's not a film.
>>
>>30473760
>>30473740
Why did it hit a fishing boat??

Were they targeting the boat for shits-n-giggles?

Were they aiming at something else, launched, yelled "OH SHIT", and had to switch targets before igniting WW3?
>>
>>30474506
Looking at the missile specs it's fire and forget, you just tell it what area ships are in and it uses inertial guidance to navigate there, turns on it's radar and target any ship sized object when it arrives.

Many anti ship missiles are like that, it means the launcher needs no fire control, just radio the location of enemy ships to the launcher and fire.
>>
>>30473740
What happened was they were doing a training exercise. That exercise involved the simulation of a missile launch. Unfortunately, some idiotic sailor turned the missile to "FOR REAL" instead of "SIMULATION", and so off it went. The most funny thing about the whole thing is that in the defensenews article about the thing, it mentions that people were surprised it actually hit the fishing boat, given its RCS.
>>
>>30475288
And yet it failed to detonate.
>>
>>30477052
The warhead wasn't armed.
>>
>>30473740
decrare wal againt taiwan fol kirr boatu
>>
easy it wasnt an accident
>>
>>30473740
>be me
>missile launch operator
>job is boring
>so fucking boring
>always wonder what some of the buttons do
>never get to press them
>ever
>push one
>lol this is new
>now controlling camera flying over the ocean
>steer camera around for a bit
>find fishing boat
>zoom in for a closer look
>camera goes out
>think that this is some bullshit
>command starts yelling at me
>something about missiles
>>
File: 200_s.gif (36 KB, 262x200) Image search: [Google]
200_s.gif
36 KB, 262x200
>>30475288
>>30475288
>Tfw som taiwanese missile launch operator is probably a real life Homer Simpson

Because it would be laughable if it was a cartoon and a guy didn't die irl.

How can you fuck up that much ?
>>
File: 1463849749458.jpg (37 KB, 350x383) Image search: [Google]
1463849749458.jpg
37 KB, 350x383
>>30473740
>Since this missile is supersonic, shouldn't it have a protocol, a key, or a password? Why would you attach a single-press button to launch SUPERSONIC missiles?
>security clearence is dependent on weapon velocity
>>
>>30479340
Mighty Kek
>>
>>30479468
You need zero security clearance to throw a ball, but need tons of it to fire a missile.
COINCIDENCE?
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.