[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does SMAW fare against Carl Gustav or RPG-7V?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7
File: smaw_06-combatindex.jpg (64 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
smaw_06-combatindex.jpg
64 KB, 640x427
How does SMAW fare against Carl Gustav or RPG-7V?
>>
>>30463793
no real input but I read in a book that in fallujah pt 2 one guy shot above the prescribe limit per day the number of shots from a smaw and it made him have vertigo.

Think the concussion after a while turns your loopy.
>>
>>30463793
>smaw gunner with a pistol

REEEEEE THAT PISTOL CAN GO TO A FEMALE SNCO IN A REAR BASE HE SHOULD HAVE AN A2/A4
>>
>>30463793
Fucking heavy. I was an 0311 and helped my 0351 buddy carry it. It was worth seeing him level a mudshack with one tho.

Had more fun molding C4 into dinosaur shapes.
>>
File: 1462645291094.jpg (3 MB, 5000x3337) Image search: [Google]
1462645291094.jpg
3 MB, 5000x3337
>>30463793
Inferior and greatly outranged by the Carl Gustav, which is why it's being replaced with the latter. Superior to the Rpg-7V.
>>
Sketchy as fuck.

Much rather have an RPG. much more proven technology despite it's defects.
You shouldn't be using a basic unguided ATGM against targets beyond a short distance anyway.

Yeah, i don't want to 'develop' vertigo after shooting one. Sketch as fuck. Fuck recoilles rifles. WAY more dangerous than an RPG, which you can shoot from indoors.
>>
>>30463909
Yes you should. It's organic direct fire support. There's always use for it.
>>
>>30463932

RPG's are organic fire support though.

You get the benefit of larger warheads as well as thermobaric and tandem HEAT type warheads that make it a viable threat against anything on the battlefield.
>>
>>30463959
Also piss-poor accuracy and shit range.
The Carl Gustav is used for direct fire support at long ranges against soft targets. The range is more valuable than destructive power.
>>
>>30463959
With the disadvantages of half the effective range and half the projectile speed.
>>
Dafuq is organic fire support? Free-range grown rocket launchers and recoilless rifles, hormone free?
>>
>>30463793
Carl Gustav wins. It is by far the most versatile and effective.
>>
>>30463909
They've already developed rounds that are safe to fire indoors, and they're still better than an RPG-7. Especially because RPG-7 rockets have to be assembled and the booster is fragile as fuck. If the booster fucks up you are in so many layers of shit you'll wish indoor overpressure was the worst of your problems.
>>
>>30464368

Support assets that are embedded in the combat unit that they are supporting, rather than being under the command of a parent unit and assigned on a need basis.

Ex, a WW2 US Infantry division has organic armor because it has a tank battalion in it's structure and doesn't have to ask the parent corps for tanks when it needs them. The brigades in the division do not have organic tank support because it has to ask the parent division for tanks if it needs to use some.
>>
>>30463818

Former 0351 here, that's true. We heard about him all the time as a kind of folk hero named Rocketman. Prescribed limit is five a day and motherfucker dropped something like fifty in weekend and is TBI to shit.
>>
>>30463909
>unguided ATGM
>>
>>30463896
CG or not, there's a lot of Condor/ Voodo Tactical BS going on in this photo.
>>
File: paranatural.jpg (18 KB, 241x182) Image search: [Google]
paranatural.jpg
18 KB, 241x182
>>30463909
>unguided ATGM
>unguided Anti-Tank Guided Missile
>>
>>30463909
Ignore this post lads, this kid doesn't know his ass from his asshole.
>>
>>30463909
>unguided ATGM
>unguided Anti-Tank Guided Missile

fuck off you retarded cunt
>>
>>30465967
Oorah assaultmen... sorry, assaultpersons.
>>
>>30470344
Rifleman and mortorman stayed the same. They changed assault men?
>>
>>30465967
>. We heard about him all the time as a kind of folk hero named Rocketman. Prescribed limit is five a day and motherfucker dropped something like fifty in weekend and is TBI to shit.

How hard is it to let someone else to take the shot? Isn't everybody crossed trained on it anyway?

Oh wait Marine. He did it just to be macho and dumb. Now he has the same problems as linemen and boxers.

But he is now a legend for a few years. Hell i would have bought him a round of whatever he was drinking.
>>
>>30470387
In combat, you do what you have to do.
>>
File: US SOF Carl Gustav.jpg (636 KB, 4288x2848) Image search: [Google]
US SOF Carl Gustav.jpg
636 KB, 4288x2848
Posting Uncle Carl.
>>
Shite.

>More effective than a 203 but only on the same targets
>Can't kill anything but huts or modified vehicles, might as well toss rocks at actual armor

I'd rather have an M136CS tbqh
>>
>>
File: smaw2.jpg (19 KB, 567x477) Image search: [Google]
smaw2.jpg
19 KB, 567x477
>>30463896
>which is why it's being replaced with the latter
No it isn't. Maybe in MARSOC units, but regular infantry are getting a SMAW MOD 2 upgrade which replaces the spotting rifle with a modular ballistic sight & laser range finder

Army just standardized the Gustav, so maybe the Marines will get the old ones in 10 years
>>
File: RPG_backblast.gif (1 MB, 334x229) Image search: [Google]
RPG_backblast.gif
1 MB, 334x229
>>30463909
>RPG, which you can shoot from indoors.
Good luck with that, Ahmed.
also
>RPG-7
>not a recoiless rifle
>>
>>30470446
Smaw has the same sized warhead as M136.

Unless you are using HEAT SMAW rounds against building when you should be using the fuel-air ones.
>>
>>30470364

Yeah, we're 'Infantry Assault Marines' now. At least they gave up on that "Anti-armor" lie.
>>
>>30470387

.>Isn't everybody crossed trained on it anyway?

Not in the slightest. I worked with two 0311 retards as A gunners on ranges and they both fucked up remedial action hard.Plus every 11 I saw take a LAW or AT4 shot fucked it up royally and missed by a mile at 100 meters.
>>
>>30474630
What a weapons cunt elitist boot. You're not that special of a snowflake sweetheart.
>>
>>30463818
There's a daily number of times you can fire a rocket launcher a day?

Seriously? That's a thing?
>>
>>30474661

I so am, crunchy.
>>
>>30474695
Whatever I'm >>30463878

My good buddy was a 51. Thought we were more boys and you'd take aggression out on non fellow marine grunts.

Maybe it's because we had an enemy to take aggression out on when I was in.
>>
>>30474670

Yeah. Shooting a rocket is basically standing between two sources of over pressure. It's like head hits in football, one or two ain't so bad but add them up and you can do some damage to your brain/eardrums.
>>
>>30474670
It's the recoilless rifle part of things. When you fire it, instead of recoil, there's a massive blast sent out the back. But being just gas, it isn't very coherent, so it quickly turns into a big shockwave going everywhere, giving the weapon crew a bit of a beating. Too much of that could be bad for your health, so during peacetime practice sensible people limit the number of shots fired per day.

In war the shit you're shooting at is probably a lot worse for you than the act of shooting at them, or you wouldn't bother pointing a Carl Gustav at them, so blast away.
>>
>>30474711

And I would in a heart beat if there were any willing to argue. But there's not.

You're super right on the SMAW being way too heavy and awkward and playing with C4 being more fun though..
>>
>>30474773
Yeah. Wed bullshit and I'd help him make Bangalores.

Also I never got to fire a SMAW but was pretty shit hot on the AT4.

51's are weirdos and you know it, whenever I'd go to his room always him and his room mate playing vidya in tighty whities together.
>>
>>30474864

51's are the short nerds of the infantry, I won't pretend otherwise. The main issue I saw with 11's running AT was that they expected recoil like a rifle and would flinch as soon as the rocket ignited, not knowing you had to hold on target until the rocket left the tube. And not knowing how to remedial action the rifle which I admit is is a stupid, frankenstien mess of a gun.
>>
>>30463909
>rpg
>rocket tip taps *anything* after safety cap is taken off
>boom

>safer indoors
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.