[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I get rid of my flinch? It's really fucking up my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
How do I get rid of my flinch?
It's really fucking up my groupings
>>
Get some snap caps and practice dry firing.
>>
>>30460158
Keep practicing
>>
>>30460158
practice

also firing with a cadence helps forget about your reaction while firing. Try timing your shots so you fire once every 2 seconds
>>
>>30460158
What do you shoot?
>>
.22 LR
>>
>>30460180
I've done dry firing practice and while its helped my trigger pull a ton it hasn't done too much for my flinch

>>30460181
>>30460185
I know I need to get out there on the range more, it's just frustrating to not see immediate progress
The firing every 2 seconds no matter what does seem like a good idea though, I'll have to try that on the next trip

>>30460199
>>30460209
I flinch no matter what caliber I shoot, which honestly I find kind of weird since I seem to be pretty decent at managing the recoil itself, though that might just be thinking too highly of myself
>>
File: k checks the chamber.gif (4 MB, 448x246) Image search: [Google]
k checks the chamber.gif
4 MB, 448x246
>>30460158
> buy snap caps
> go shooting with friend
> have friend load mag with one snap cap
> react with horror when you flinch
> repeat until you stop flinching like a fag
>>
>>30460158

Dry fire with snap caps.

Move onto a .22 and spend hours mastering the basics like grip, body position, trigger manipulation, stance, breathing, sight picture etc. Sounds like Fudd-lore but works.

Consider getting some coaching. I took an intro to shotgun course when I started shooting skeet. Best thing I ever did. I still use some of the tips and techniques the ancient guy who ran the sessions taught to me.
>>
>>30460158
>flinch

Let the rifle surprise you. I m a firearms instructor. If you are near Detroit, I will train you. Totally for free.
>>
>>30460230
Switch to something more user-friendly in terms of recoil. The people recommending a .22 are onto something.
>>
>>30460254
Any suggestions on where I should look for a class at?
I know the NRA has some courses and I'm also sure there'd probably be some handgun classes at the local ranges
>>
practice these 3 things:

-shoot with double ear protection. ear muff and ear plugs will make a huge difference
-practice a fuck ton at the range, the key here is consistency and acclimating to your caliber
-dry fire when you can

just remember it's a mental challenge, really commit yourself to a good trigger squeeze and follow through when you go to the range.
>>
File: compensated Glock.jpg (48 KB, 475x457) Image search: [Google]
compensated Glock.jpg
48 KB, 475x457
>>30460158
do this shooting drill:

>load one round, remove magazine, fire twice
second round is an empty snap, watch the flinch on it, it's also training your body not to anticipate the recoil.

Do that 5x, then leave the magazine inserted for the next 5x. Repeat as necessary.
>>
>>30460264
>Let the rifle surprise you.

Terrible idea if you're trying to get a good trigger pull. Don't want any fucking surprises on my trigger pull.
>>
>>30460369
its a basic concept of marksmanship to concentrate on keeping the sights properly aligned to the point you forget about the trigger break and it surprises you.

its lightyears from a terrible idea
>>
>>30460488
oh right so you're lining up the sights and then "BANG" because rifle should surprise you right?

Fuck no, make it go bang at the right time, when your sights are aligned properly.
>>
>>30460488
>>30460514
and I know you're going to strawman me and claim I'm talking about pulling the trigger while raising the rifle up, no I'm talking about the minute deviation that comes with holding the rifle steady on the target.
>>
>>30460514
>>30460528
worst advice in the thread

listen to this guy if you want to get some "training" from a mall ninja OP
>>
>>30460158
Focus on the front sight before the shot, during the shot, and after the shot.
>>
>>30460552
Is it "mall ninja" to sit in my backyard and shoot at 100m targets with irons?

You don't have to be a genius to realize the trigger break surprising you is a bad thing.

Predictable is good.
>>
Shoot with both eyes open
>>
>>30460594
>during the shot
I always blink whenever the gun goes off
It's a weird habbit that I've been trying to break
>>
>>30460596
holy fucking shit yes thats the very definition

You lad are the paragon of mall ninjas

are... are you gecko45?
>>
>>30460596

Pic of back yard with said 100m range?
>>
>>30460666
you don't have the authorization to see it.

If i showed you you would have a drone above your house waiting for you to leave

my dad was a seal recon sniper in WWII and taught me everything he knew before he left on one last mission...
>>
>>30460185
Will second this. Get into the habit of not anticipating or "thinking" about pulling the trigger but instead get your mind to a place where you only think "line up, shoot, line up, shoot".

The mental aspect of shooting is very fun, almost like meditation when you get really into it.
>>
>>30460268

Check at your local range or get onto NRA website.

Plenty of places will put on free courses. You may find some of it very basic if you already shoot, but in my case I was a total noob to skeet shooting. They took if from range safety and how a shotgun works right through to the fine points of smoking clays, reading the wind, rapid sighting, chokes, ammo choice etc. It took about 3 sessions before I fired a shot, but was totally worth it.

And don't worry about feeling like a total dick when you do it. I found that the ancient fuck coach I had was fantastic. (and patient) Especially when it came to the shooting side. The old fuck really knew his stuff, he would demonstrate how I was missing the target by copying me shooting downrange and then show and explain the correction and shoot again with a hit. When I copied his correction I was on the money.

You need coaching to really pick stuff up. Youtube and self instruction just doesn't make up for it.
>>
>>30460158
i found going outdoors to a wooded area, helped me greatly. you do not get real feel for your gun in an indoor range, because they are asshats about drawing from holsters, rapid fire etc. i have a place in the woods where ive set random shit up to use as cover and have steel targets strewn about.
>>
>>30460158
If you have friends, get one to prepare a bunch of unloaded mags and one with one bullet loaded.
Hand him your gun, and let him load one without your knowing. Just dryfire a bunch until you're not expecting the loaded magazine.
>>
>>30460369
(skipped all other responses from this dipshit)

Listen to people who tell you to be surprised, they know what they're talking about.

Until you master the trigger pull, you won't be able to shoot anything predictably anyway, so just forget about it and keep firing round after round until you achieve enlightenment. Only then you get to posture, breathing and all other shit (also necessary, but you won't be able to get all of it at once, so get some patience).

The point of "being surprised" is to make your trigger pull so slow at the beginning that you are, indeed, surprised when it goes bang, but didn't make a conscious effort to jerk the trigger, just kept increasing the pressure.

Good luck.

Oh, and don't limit yourself to .22. Literally, during my last range visit I saw a dude who was spraying the whole fucking target with .22 holes but was able to get a decent 3" group with full size 9mm. You may be having a problem that is different from what you think it is.
>>
>>30460158
How much ammo do you have to work with?
>>
This helped me.
After you line up, as you're pulling the trigger keep thinking "pull pull pull pull.." etc. You'll focus less on the inevitable bang.
>>
>>30460158
I'll tell you a little secret.
You squeeze the trigger until the rifle fires. There's no flinch when it's a surprise when it actually fires. That's the trick.
>>
>>30460488
I'm like you. I don't get how surprise break is supposed to work. How could is rapid fire possible if you don't exactly know when the gun will go bang? Watched the Jeff Cooper video a few times and it simply does not make sense to me.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.