[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bolt Action Lock Up
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: BARRELED+ACTION.jpg (133 KB, 630x573) Image search: [Google]
BARRELED+ACTION.jpg
133 KB, 630x573
I've never had much time with a bolt action rifle, so I have some questions.

When locking and unlocking the bolt, there seem to be two parts- one, where the bolt seems loose, then it seems to get really tight before it completely locks up. So what causes the two stages? Is it just the locking lugs engaging? Or is there some other mechanism at work?

Pic related is a Howa action, which is what I've played around with. Maybe it doesn't really happen with other actions?
>>
>Is it just the locking lugs engaging?
Yes
>>
I believe there is a lead in angle to tighten it, as opposed to an ar15 where the bolt goes straight in and then rotates; the two motions being separated (on the ar15)

Tighten may not be the correct term, but it pulls the bolt to the correct (predefined) headspacing
>>
>>30448727
Yes.
It's kinda like a Mauser or Mosin action.
You ram it home and then lower the bolt, and it travels forward a little bit more when you lower it.

This it the locking lugs engaging/tightening.
>>
Also the force of cocking the striker, depending on when that happens in the cycle.
>>
>>30448691
Thats just the locking lugs engaging and the firing pin being cocked back.
When the bolt is "loose" it's just sliding on the rails, it's not actually loose.
>>
>>30448691
Cams
>>
>>30448727
>>30448753
>>30449155

CAMS
>>
Can anyone draw me/find me a diagram to demonstrate?

So when I'm rotating the bolt and it starts to tighten up, the lugs are engaging and they get tightened due to cams? so locking lugs on a bolt action rifle I'm guessing have .001" of overlap, causing them to tighten as they engage?
>>
>>30449494
there are little angles on your bolt lugs
They engage with other angles, it pushes your bolt forward, cocking the striker
When it gets past that angle, it's easy and is in lockup against the flat faces
>>
>>30449569
Pic related

The lugs are easy to turn in full engagement up until it hits the cam surfaces and the striker spring pulls the bolt out

If you fire the gun, then you're using opposing cams to push the bolt back and force the casing out of the gun
>>
File: thing.png (240 KB, 424x329) Image search: [Google]
thing.png
240 KB, 424x329
>>30449592
pic related is the extraction cam

it forces the bolt open to pull the casing out
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.