[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sterling parts kit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: Sterling MRK4 SA 004.jpg (132 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Sterling MRK4 SA 004.jpg
132 KB, 640x480
I want to try my hand at building a firearm from a parts kit. I'm leaning towards building a sterling. I've never tried this before. Is this a good starting build or are there simpler options? I'm willing to learn a bit of welding to get this together. What else will I need to know?
>>
Bumpin
>>
File: 1449261321189.jpg (415 KB, 1920x1389) Image search: [Google]
1449261321189.jpg
415 KB, 1920x1389
'Nother bump
>>
Cool idea OP. Everyone is doing these tired ass AR builds. Go for it!
>>
>>30442546
This shit isn't nearly as easy as an AR build.
>>
File: 1444139360003.jpg (168 KB, 794x1080) Image search: [Google]
1444139360003.jpg
168 KB, 794x1080
Again
>>
>>30442345
Do an AR47 build
>>
>>30442345
Somewhat related question - what are the rules in the US for building a firearm that ISN'T an auto? Do you have to have some kind of serialized part on it, or can you just build any old peashooter as long as it doesn't brrrrrr?

Are you building the Sterling as an SMG OP, or are you modifying it so it's semi-auto?

Love your choice btw OP I think the Sterling marks the point where Brits really started making their SMGs beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRLcEHD2K5E
>>
>>30442744
I'm doing a semi build. Eventually I'd like to make it a SBR and suppress it like in the OP.

Is it forbidden to include some small sections of rail to add an optic or light?
>>
>>30442345
>>30442744

You should google these questions there's plenty of info

The hardest part of a sterling/sten tube smg build is converting the bolt to closed bolt semi auto. ATF rules no open bolt -- even if it's semi only. That means you need to convert the bolt to a striker fired. There are kits for sale that have this done from like hellbox armory, etc. google it. They're pricey though. These bolts also have a reduced OD, matching a receiver with a reduced ID so that a regular bolt can't be put into the tube.

If you read all that and didn't understand any of it, don't attempt this project without doing more research. Good luck.
>>
>obeying atf
>>
>>30442775

That was my followup question after poking around - is the Sterling a SBR, and it sounds like unless you go like pic related it is. Ghey.

I just love the clickety-clack of that suppressed auto sterling tho. I feel like if I died listening to that it'd put a smile on my face.
>>
STEN kits might be easier.

Really depends on your ability to find or make the semi auto parts.
>>
>>30442744
>Somewhat related question - what are the rules in the US for building a firearm that ISN'T an auto?

Googled it muhself.

9. May I lawfully make a firearm for my own personal use, provided it is not being made for
resale?
Firearms may be lawfully made by persons who do not hold a manufacturer’s license under the GCA
provided they are not for sale or distribution and the maker is not prohibited from receiving or
possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semiautomatic
rifle or shotgun from 10 or more imported parts, as set forth in regulations in 27 C.F.R. 478.39. In
addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and advance approval by ATF. An
application to make a machinegun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing
that the firearm is being made for the official use of a Federal, State, or local government agency (18
U.S.C. § 922(o),(r); 26 U.S.C. § 5822; 27 C.F.R. §§ 478.39, 479.62, and 479.105).

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/docs/0501-firearms-top-10-qaspdf/download
>>
>>30442345
Make a custom Colt 1911
>>
>>30442866

thanks for telling us something we all already knew

also
>muhself
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.