[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Many cheap or a few nice guns?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8
File: 20160421_174733.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160421_174733.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
Recently realized that while I have a bunch of guns, none of then are particularly expensive, rare, or Gucci. I've got like 10 rifles worth $400-600 each, but none that cost more than $800.

Been thinking, is it better to have a lot of cheap guns, or one or two nice ones? Would you sell two cheap ARs, a cheap AK, and an SKS (half your collection) and get say a SCAR or nice bullpup if you could?
>>
Both are valid. Whatever floats your boat.
>>
>>30441850
Each to his own.
I acquired expensive taste so I keep it to a minimum.
>>
>>30441850
I personally have maybe 50% that are under 300, 49% that are under 650, and 1 that was over 1000.

So a good mix, I guess.
>>
File: 20160410_200421.jpg (1011 KB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160410_200421.jpg
1011 KB, 3264x1836
>>30441867

Which do you personally subscribe to?

I'm finding that none of my rifles really make me moist like they used to as I get more into shooting and realize that they're all kind of subpar... yet again I know I'll miss them if I get rid of them.

Postin' pics of my waifu raifus. Asuka a best btw
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>30441912
Not him, but I subscribe to "if you like it, buy it". Don't buy a 90 dollar pistol just because it's 90 dollars, buy it because you like it.
>>
File: image.jpg (631 KB, 2048x877) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
631 KB, 2048x877
>>30441966
And don't buy a thousand dollar rifle because it's valuable, buy it because you like it.
>>
Just personal opinion:

I bought a $1700 Noveske, and I built several complete ARs for under $700. They all shoot very well. Econ priced barrels and uppers can be great shooters. The biggest difference between my budget guns and the Noveske is that Noveske builds a pretty product. In terms of function I wouldn't say that the Noveske performs or shoots any better than my "budget" guns.
>>
ask yourself these questions for each gun

how often do you shoot it?
if not often, is there a specific task got it for?
do you enjoy it as a collectable, show piece, or heirloom?

if it fails all 3, consider selling it, work towards that single nice gun
>>
>>30441850
I love the NERV markings, that's awesome.
>>
>>30441850
I like that AsukAR. What colours should I go with if my waifu is Holo, though? I don't think orange would look that great.
>>
>>30441912
I...I might copy you, senpai. Asuka is a best and that's actually pretty tastefully done.
>>
>>30441850

Only if I wanted the more expensive rifle.

My school of thought when I'm lookingfor something is that "It costs what it costs" and sometimes that means I have to spend more to get what I want. Other times I just want an example of something, like my first AK clone, so the cheapest was fine.

Don't buy cheap just because it's cheap, unless it's exactly what you want. you'll have buyer's remorse later on. Don't buy something just because it's the most expensive either.
>>
>>30442172

I'd go with white furniture and orange accents (sights, selector, mag release, FCG pins), then get an apple engraved on mag well and paintfill it red
>>
>>30441850
It's better to have what you want. I've owned and sold guns that were going for 500 to 1500 because they weren't what I liked or needed. Looking at how "Gucci" something is as a qualification for purchase is stupid in most cases.
>>
>>30441850
If you have alot of cheap guns and alot of stored ammo, you can arm your entire block and lead a revolution should Shillary rig the election.

I don't personally have many guns, and none that are much higher than 350. Such is life as a poorfag.
>>
>>30441850
No OP I personally wouldn't variety is the spice of life and it sounds like you have four completely servicable weapons. Besides the sks what can that Gucci rifle do that the others can't? I could understand selling one to upgrade but quanity my friend has a quality of its own
>>
I prefer one really nice gun to 6 or 7 mediocre guns.

back in 2013, I traded my Navy Garand, a Winchester, an International Harvester and a correct HRA for an exceptionally rare Guam Garand.
>>
>>30441850
Kraut here, since all guns are expensive anyway over here thats kinda a moot question for me.

some examples
>CZ75 starting at ~600€
>glawks hovering around 700€ (=~$770)
>AR15 type rifles (for instance SIG M400) starting at 1.4k€
>"decent brand" (i.e. Schmeisser) ARs 2k€+ (~$2.4k)
>CZ 550 varmint .308 bolt gun ~1k€

Also, law states 3 handguns max. (at one time) (unless some exceptions which I do not fit)
Which is ok because I only have two hands anyway

Longarms no limit that I know of as long as I find an IPSC discipline for which I "need" the gun (which is pretty much a given).
Still I'd rather have 2 real nice guns than 12 meh tier ones.
>>
>>30441850
I live in the Netherlands.
Our gun laws are pretty good, if you get a hunting license or sport shooting license you can get whatever the fuck you want as long as it isn't full auto.
But one of the major cons (probably the biggest con) is that once you get the license, you're only allowed 5 firearms max. So we here are practically forced to do the latter.
>>
>is it better to have a lot of cheap guns, or one or two nice ones?

Both

First priority should be getting what you really want.

>Would you sell two cheap ARs, a cheap AK, and an SKS (half your collection) and get say a SCAR or nice bullpup if you could?

If I really wanted the scar/bullpup/etc, sure.

There are always going to be cheap ARs, AKs and SKSs floating around and I could fund a purchase I might really enjoy.

If I don't like it I can always resell it and call any potential monetary loss a rental fee.
>>
>>30441850
>is it better to have a lot of cheap guns, or one or two nice ones?
I can't really decide that for you, but choosing a diverse collection in both guns/calibers over having one or two expensive rifles like a scar is a no-brainer to me. I love having a gun in each of the 5 common rifle calibers + 12ga.
Caliber diversity also means you can probably keep shooting no matter how retarded the ammo panic.
I'm all for spending extra for the features I want by buying a $1000 arsenal ak over a $500 wasr or something like that... but the scar's cost puts it into the realm of ridiculousness and isn't worth it IMO.
>>
>>30441867
This, it's nice to have a mix.
>>
im in a similar boat. lots of guns but a large number are under $600. im impulsive and i like instant gratification. i know it.
ill wait until the fall and start getting rid of some.
for the record, ive sold exactly one gun in my life, so far anyway .
>>
>>30442340
That sounds pretty dope actually.
>>
>>30442790
That's not what 'pretty good' is.
>>
>>30441850
I go for fewer good guns
Pride of ownership
>>
>>30443160
I agree to a point while prices are still sane, like an arsenal ak over a wasr, or a vz58 instead of a vz2008, or ptr91 vs some century cetme.
>>
>>30441850
>Buy cheap/shoddy shit because haha jewish deals.
>Spend time on learning gunsmithing and money on parts to make those things not shit
>Could have just bought a high-end gun for total.
Ever see a working IO ak or a Jennings that isn't a grenade? I've got some.
>>
File: 1466944200860.png (974 KB, 1066x855) Image search: [Google]
1466944200860.png
974 KB, 1066x855
There's a definite balance OP. On one hand, you don't want to end up with a pile of shitty rifles that can't do anything. On the other, it gets boring shooting the same guns all the time. You have to examine your own budget and determine what you can afford, then work your way up from there. It's a balance of variety and quality.
>>
>>30441850
Used to be just like you. Started selling guns and pooling my money.
It's best to have a lot of nice guns. Especially if you're young, don't waste money on cheap guns.
>>
>>30441850
Depends how much you value variety over quality. If you can afford both, go for it.

Personally I only want one gun to fulfill each role. So one intermediate caliber (though I'm getting another soon because AR vs AK simply cannot be settled) one heavy caliber, one duty handgun, and one concealable handgun.
>>
>>30444858
Also another thing to consider, what good does money do you sitting in a bank? Guns and ammo are more useful than giving money to jews for "safekeeping." If SHTF I bet you'd rather have supplies than numbers on a screen or paper. Plus you can always sell your assets, they usually appreciate over time.
>>
>>30444876
Financial issues are a lot more likely to happen to anybody than society breaking down and requiring you to go innawoods. Having money reserved for issues like medical bills or expensive vehicle repairs is a good idea.
>>
>>30441850
Where did you get the nerv lower bro?
>>
>>30444928
Just sell your stuff, see them as assets.

I suppose if you don't have a reserve in your account it's not the best idea. For example I don't like to have any less than $10,000 in the account, but at least 1/3rd of my wealth is assets (other than home/vehicle) so about $5k in gungs and ammos.
>>
>>30441850
>EU
774$ for a Glock 19 or 17

I might as well go and pay 30$ more and get a USP
>>
>>30441850
Buy a SIG Legion, get a few thousand rounds through it, then you will be enlightened and will never fucking ever buy a cheap gun again. Oh, and while you're at that, you might also understand that we're too poor to buy cheap, and this rule extends to all things in your life.

Do you really need many useless drunkard friends, or will trust your life to a select few? Same with things, do you really need all that cheap shit in your life?
>>
File: 01.jpg (3 MB, 4288x2848) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
3 MB, 4288x2848
I think having a few nice things is better than a bunch of mediocre ones.
>>
>>30441902
Considering everything under $300 is also under $650, I'd say you need to brush up on your percentages :^)
>>
My friend is a sucker for a cheap gun, buying a sub $400 gun maybe once a month, then complains he has no money for a nice one while shitting on a two safes full of milsurp and cheap pistols that don't function well
>>
>>30441850
imo
practicality from a defensive standpoint should always come first
.....and then everything else

and of course what is 'practical' for one man
isnt necessarily practical for another
>>
File: 11028320_1.jpg (1013 KB, 1500x758) Image search: [Google]
11028320_1.jpg
1013 KB, 1500x758
>>30441850
Are you sure you don't want a crate of moist nugs anon?

I kid of course. The only gun purchase I regret was my first .22lr; I bought it on sale because it was cheap and I quickly realized I had made a mistake. The action felt gritty and gross and the magazines were cast aluminum that felt like it was going to disintegrate in my hands. I sold it at a $50 loss a few weeks later.

Compare that to my Benelli shotgun and the action feels smooth as silk.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.