[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Could a country that only has submarines still be a powerful
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: u212_10.jpg (46 KB, 550x413) Image search: [Google]
u212_10.jpg
46 KB, 550x413
Could a country that only has submarines still be a powerful naval force?
>>
Who would even do that? Atlantis?
>>
>>30397842

A semi landlocked country like Germany maybe?
>>
Germany sunk more British tonnage with its submarines than all other naval powers combined in history.
>>
>>30397900
And still lost the battle of the Atlantic. And the war.
>>
>>30398040

but lasted 5 years almost alone.

Austro-hungarians and Turkish were mere distractions.
>>
>>30398040
Because of the overwhelming size of the enemy forces? Not to mention advances in sonar technology and the fact that the Luftwaffe was fucking wiped out.
>>
No force projection

75% of the US Navy's job is to be seen and discourage aggressors

If your whole navy is subs then your more of a boogeyman than anything substantial
>>
>>30398062
Seems to me you answered op's question.

The answer is, "yes"

"Powerful" doesn't mean "infinitely unstoppable"
>>
>>30397876
>Germany
>semi landlocked
So having coastlines and ports on two seas is now semi-landlocked?
>>
>>30397900
When a commerce raiding force sinks an impressive amount of shipping, that usually indicates that the opponent nation had the freedom of movement on the seas and hence lots of targets. Success of commerce raiding directly correlates to shittiness of your navy.
>>
>>30398082
I disagree. You could show off pictures and video of every single sub you own while in port, then say "that was 3 weeks ago" or something. Now everybody knows you have a substantial force (thus the force projection) but extra points due to their position being unknown.
>>
>>30398211
>semi-landlocked?
wtf is semiland locked, who are you lousiana?!
Its sort of a one thing or the other, like you cant be semi-virgin. "We only sort of fucked a bit"
>>
>>30398303
I guess Black Sea countries like Bulgaria and Georgia could be considered "semi-landlocked" since they access to the international pathways is dependant on Turkey letting them through Bosp and the Dardanelis. Also the current Montreux treaty has specific parts that prohibiti certain capital ships in some cases on the basis of tonnage or function. It is a bit foggy what it means,but in any case there is a legal and strategic precedent in which mentioned Black Sea countries could be denied passage in hostilities.
>>
>>30398469
Oh, a better example might be Bosnia and Herzegovina. 20km of coastline that is not adjcent to the international seas but have to pass through croatian waters.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.