[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I've been wondering /k/. Since the Tiger and Tiger II
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: Tiger1and2atAberdeen.jpg (46 KB, 528x319) Image search: [Google]
Tiger1and2atAberdeen.jpg
46 KB, 528x319
So I've been wondering /k/. Since the Tiger and Tiger II don't have a coaxial machine gun, how effective was it to fend off approaching infantry. I would assume the radio operator's MG would have limited traverse and view.

General armor thread I guess
>>
They didn't, rey idrf theyu iotpics fot hiooting ling didysnvbe
>>
Is that even what a coaxial MG was for? Those turrets turned fucking slowly.
>>
>>30381264
...Are you having a stroke friend?
>>
http://worldwartwozone.com/gallery.old/500/medium/TigerII_48.JPG

Image of a a Tiger II coax
>>
>>30381233
They both are fitted with coaxials.
Why would you think they didn't?

>>30381264
Get well soon.
>>
>>30381264

And a splendid Cthulhu F'tagn to you too, good sir!
>>
http://oi61.tinypic.com/2hygr9.jpg

Hole to the left of the main gun, coax MG

I don't know where you got that idea from, OP but as far as I know, all German tanks had 3 machine guns.
>ball mount on the hull
>coax on the mantlet
>if installed, MG on the commander's cupola
>>
>>30381495
He probably didn't see the barrel protruding out like on other tanks.
>>
Not to mention, you can clearly see the coax mg on the Tiger I in your image, too.
Next time before posting, google some information so you can make a quality post.
Cheers!
>>
>>30381233
Coaxials weren't that effective due to the slow traverse rate. Hull machine guns were more useful.
>>
>>30381554
It depends. Some Tiger commanders, like Wittmann would tend to slew the whole vehicle rather than the turret, a tactic held over from his days as a Panzer III gunner. (I read somewhere that he was an assault gun commander or something, but can't confirm or deny that)
Downside is though, it puts un needed stress on the vehicle's engine, transmission, drives, etc.
>>
Thanks for the reply guys. Didn't realize that hole was a coaxial. Always thought it was for an optic.
>>
>>30381699
Optics were on the other side.
Early model Tigers, the ones with the rubber rimmed road wheels, the drum cupola and large air filters on the back had a bi-focal sight. The later model Tiger with the steel rimmed road wheels and the smaller profile cupola had a mono-optic sight.
You can tell, the two holes on the the right of the gun barrel is for the early models, the single hole on the right is for the late models.
>>
I think King Tigers had a single piece sight.
Have to look up to confirm.
>>
http://www.achtungpanzer.com/images/tig2_kr.jpg
The hole right behind the driver's head is the gunner's sight on the KT
>>
File: tiger 2 coaxial.jpg (150 KB, 852x544) Image search: [Google]
tiger 2 coaxial.jpg
150 KB, 852x544
Tiger II coaxial hole is in the gun mantlet.
>>
http://i40.tinypic.com/33tqkpk.jpg
The inside of the Tiger from the gunner's seat, with the site right in front.
>>
>>30381233
They used MG-34s for Vehicle guns because of the way the MG-42 barrels change made it unsuitable for use inside a vehicle
>>
>>30381233

Both of those had coax machine guns.

>>30381554

In reality hull machine guns were rather useless. There is a reason why those disappeared from tanks shortly after WWII.
>>
>>30382226
>In reality hull machine guns were rather useless. There is a reason why those disappeared from tanks shortly after WWII.

And before some idiot asks why, let me throw this in here:

It's because they required you to expose your hull so that you could distract a crew member in order to fire a machinegun in one direction.
>>
>>30381233
The tank commander would emerge from the hatch with his STG44, and all infantry nearby would simply die of fear.
>>
>>30381233
Yeap, they had co-axles, and a mortar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nahverteidigungswaffe
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.