[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gun oil general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7
File: Unknown.png (6 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
Unknown.png
6 KB, 284x177
What does /k use to lube their guns I've heard motor oil is good gun oils are good but i want to know what commandos are currently using.

I've been using bllistol but may throw my can away after watching this test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQYAMTQAOoM&spfreload=10
>>
File: 20160621_172641.jpg (382 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
20160621_172641.jpg
382 KB, 1280x720
>>
File: 71BJTCGrIyL._SY679_.jpg (38 KB, 311x679) Image search: [Google]
71BJTCGrIyL._SY679_.jpg
38 KB, 311x679
>>
>>30375678
Hoppe's gun oil.
>>
G96 on my 10/22 and froglube on everything else
>>
>>30375678
Lubricating select parts based on function with white lithium grease, teflon or graphite dry lubricant, and light machine oil.
>>
Depends on component in question

Barrel nut and buffer tube threads get Aeroshell

Frog Lube on most pistols (this will trigger Muh roller coaster Muh coconut oil responses protip do not care)

Clean w/ MPro
>>
>>30375853
Autism right here
>>
>>30375853
>sealed wheel bearing grease belongs on an UN sealed firearm

>graphite being anywhere near lithium grease and dissimilar metals

Toppest kek enjoy your galvanic corrosion stupid autistic faggot
>>
>>30375958
Tell me about this Galvanic corrosion. I am curious.
>>
>>30375988
Can't tell if you are a butthurt >>30375853 or genuinely curious.

TLDR version

2 dissimilar metals+electrolyte and a few other met conditions and circumstances=corrosion

>inb4 durr I don't dunk my gun in salt water

They say as they live 10 miles from the Pacific, Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico etc.

Presence of graphite in certain greases can help to facilitate aforementioned corrosion. Something to consider before replacing a plastic guide rod with Muh metal (spring steel and stainless count as dissimilar)

If your guide rod corrodes, big deal
If your upper receiver and or barrel corrode because you used some sort of graphite containing grease instead of moly grease... Kind of a big deal
>>
>>30376060
It was my understanding that any galvanic effect would require substantial differences in potential of directly contacting metals to be effected. Insulated or passivated surfaces wouldn't be oxidized even if they were in direct contact.

I thought Graphite would be undesirable generally because it acts as a mild abraisive and does sieze heated or quickly moving parts.
>>
>>30375678
God I love the smell of Ballistol, it reminds me of a bowling alley at 2 in the morning
>>
>>30375678
Anyone ever smell the really old Hoppes no. 9. My grandfather had one gun and almost never shot it. After he died I inherited the gun and and probably the only bottle of gun oil he bought. But goddamn that half full bottle of Hoppes was almost orgasmic the way it smelled.
>>
>>30375678
How hot do the moving parts of guns actually get during firing? How many rounds would I have to put through a 1911 to gunk up ballistol?
>>
>>30375958

No, you're autistic.

This is the most autistic thing i've heard ever in a lube thread.
>>
>>30376335
Probably because it contained Benzene or something else b& by hippies
>>
File: Hoppes.png (344 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Hoppes.png
344 KB, 800x800
Hoppes 9. Thinking about giving CLP a try.
>>
>>30376357
god damn hippies, so what it's a carcinogen It smells fucking amazing.
>>
>>30376350
why don't you shoot it and find out?
>>
>>30375678
Safariland clp and smx.
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 564x316) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 564x316
Willy: What the hell you need ball bearings for?
Fletch: Awww, come on guys, it's so simple maybe you need a refresher course. [leans arm on hot engine part, then jumps away] Heyya! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads, and I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.
>>
>>30375678
Hoppes on some stuff, mobil 1 synthetic grease on my slides. I greased my m1 garand originally, then tried it on my pistols.
Don't glob it on but if you apply it correctly the gun is so smooth
>>
ballistol, smells great, is great
>>
Hoppes and Ballistol so far

No problems yet

Although I think I clean my gun too much
>>
>>30377777
>>
>>30375678

Oil: Weapon Shield, FP-10, G96 or Breakfree, depending on what is on my desk at the time

Grease: Synco Super Lube PTFE grease. Best grease available, hands down.

Ballistol you either love or hate, I can't stand the way the stuff smells. It's like sweaty gym bag mixed with old anus.

For guns shot infrequently, CorrosionX.

>>30375853

Graphite could definitely cause galvanic corrosion given enough time and the right environment. Not a fan of white lithium, but if it works for you, there ya go I guess.
>>
File: image.jpg (501 KB, 879x832) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
501 KB, 879x832
>>30375678
I like the grandpa hickok method, disassemble it, blast it with ballistol, talk to the camera for a minute or five, wipe it all off with a rag and reassemble.

Only i also apply a tiny bit of moly grease with a q tip to the cocking cams, lugs, sear and anywhere else which scrapes together. Makes a big difference on rougher actions like the mosin

Also any oil will work on a gun, but that doesnt mean its ideal. People seem to think that because motor oil can deal with the extremes of a running engine, that it will have some kind of magical properties in a firearm. A good gun oil should spread through capillary action to all the parts rather than sit in one place, should protect against corrosion very well, shouldnt dry out or thicken, shouldnt attract dirt and dust, should clean off easily and i prefer it to be non toxic. Plenty of gun oils have those properties. Motor oils will work, but they are designed for sealed internal combustion engines so they have properties suited to that
>>
File: image.png (411 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
image.png
411 KB, 800x800
>>30377746
>>30376281
I love the stuff too, it smells like licorice to me, i understand how people dont like it, but i totally love it. it can be overpowering if you spray too much indoors or something though.

Its one of those things which instantly reminds me of the weekends camping and plinking with budies
>>
>>30378036
>sprays ballistol indoors
>gets hallucinogenic flashbacks of his childhood experiences

woah
>>
>>30375887
Do you ever have issues with the slide binding up? Do you use the solvent and heat it up to apply?

I would like to use frog lube but I've heard of it causing failure to fire.
>>
This type of generals is what we need but not the specific guns or else it destroys purpose of using this site, someone should come up with other ideas
>>
I like Slip2000

Thick enough to stay where I put it and has this cool penetrating quality.

I had a shit time removing the front sight of my Shield. I heated the slide, cooled the sight, used ballistol, used a punch, used a sight pusher, all to no avail.
I put Slip 2000 on it and let it sit over night and took it came off. Not easily but it worked.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.