[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How came this thing isn't commonly used in terrorist attacks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6
File: Sten_Mk_2.jpg (141 KB, 740x465) Image search: [Google]
Sten_Mk_2.jpg
141 KB, 740x465
How came this thing isn't commonly used in terrorist attacks or mass shootings on/in "no funz" countries?

From what I've seen only the receiver and the rifling would need some proper ironworker's workshop to make, and it's easier to smuggle(or hire somebody to make) rifled barrel and receiver than the entire gun, the rest can be made with relatively basic powertools and either off the shelf materials like pipes or sheet metal and some specifically-ordered parts, mostly springs.

Majority of shootings in such situations take place at short distances as well so the inaccuracy caused by poor worksmanship and being SMG rather than assault rifle, while it's still definitely cheaper and safer to make this, than it is to smuggle some more modern SMG.

So /k/, is there any reason for it? Or maybe smuggling the guns isn't as much of a problem as it seems to be for me?
>>
>>30365557
bump
>>
By nofunz countries, you obviously mean (Western) European countries.

The reason why nobody is making them is because of two things:
- The effort
- Criminals and terrorists already have easy access to the black markets in the Balkans and to lesser extent Eastern Europe.
>>
Why would you go to the effort of making a sten or luty when you can truck a load of aks over from romania in the boot of your hatchback? Thats how the hebdo shooters got armed, anyway.
>>
in Europe smuggling is more of an issue. Like the full autos and explosives that the Paris attackers had.
>>
>>30365557
How hard is it to make an homemade one ?
>>
>>30366183
I mean doesn't making these kind of things always end on your face and your hands being blown off?
>>
>>30366183
A Sten?

Pretty goddamn hard and expensive.

A generic simple DIY open-bolt?

Rather simple, but time consuming if you want it to feed right etc.
>>
>>30366183
>>30366188
Dremel, drill press, some hand tools. It's not difficult, just time consuming
http://youtu.be/mHAO8oxwioU
>>
>>30366204
>>30366208
Because I have seen DIY-sten-pdf. (Practical Scrap Metal Small Arms) and doesn't seams to be that hard or expensive. And it doesn't require all lot of tools. Just time consuming.

But is it safe?
>>
>>30366242
The only thing those usually have in common with a Sten is the operating mechanism.

I fucking hate it when people use the eord "sten" when they are talking about generic open-bolts. A Sten isn't something you make in your garage from scratch, you need huge machinery to make one. But a simple DIY open-bolt SMG, that was designed to be made with the most basic tools, you can make fairly easily.

But with these things you should always remember the wise words: "If you gotta ask, you're not ready to make it"

OB SMGs are usually safe as long as you calculated the bolt mass right and use a decent barrel.
>>
File: lty.gif (3 MB, 360x202) Image search: [Google]
lty.gif
3 MB, 360x202
>>30366242
If it's safe depends on the gunsmith himself. Professor Parabellum's DIY-firearm manuals contain certain errors by design, I've heard. This is so that complete amateurs can't finish his firearms, it would in other words require some knowledge. The bolt weight would be a good start. How heave would the DIY-sten bolt be? Are the dimensions correct? If you take these factors into account, then the firearm should be safe, and you would know as it is common practice to test-fire the gun from a safe distance. One ought to make spare parts as well, as these guns are fragile.

Pic: Homemade Luty MKII SMG fired by the NSW police.
>>
File: round1jf7.jpg (912 KB, 2155x3046) Image search: [Google]
round1jf7.jpg
912 KB, 2155x3046
>>30366242

As long as your welds are semi decent and your material is adequate.

Not much to a generic garage job. Just a tube, a big spring and a big block of metal slamming forward.

No need for the removable stock assembly, rotating magazine housing, barrel nut or semi auto disconnect of the original sten.
>>
File: SMGsseizedloyalists.jpg (151 KB, 1000x658) Image search: [Google]
SMGsseizedloyalists.jpg
151 KB, 1000x658
>>30365557

'They' have been used in two recent terrorist attacks in Israel.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/06/21/homemade-submachine-guns-used-tel-aviv-shooting/

The UVF in Northern Ireland carried out a number of shootings with similar weapons.
>>
File: 1411242255460.jpg (90 KB, 761x457) Image search: [Google]
1411242255460.jpg
90 KB, 761x457
>>30365557
They pop up semi-regular in the hands of criminals around here.
>>
>>30366625
According to ozzie police around 10% of all the firearms they seize are homemade.

That includes legal firearms taken from owner who are no longer considered fit to own firearms.
So I'd have to assume that around 50% of firearms confiscated from gangs and other career criminals are homemade.
>>
>Go through trouble of making a Sten, hoping you did everything right for it to be somewhat reliable
vs.
>Go to some former Com Bloc shithole, buy any number of the mountains of AKs floating around there, sneak them in, knowing they will work just fine
>>
File: 30_1723369967.jpg (728 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
30_1723369967.jpg
728 KB, 1600x1067
>>30366940
Well, he would need the right contacts to pull that off. And you never know if said contact is an informant.
It's simpler to just acquire a firearms license in most non-British/Dutch/Belgian EU countries than making your own or doing shady deals which could result in you rotting in a 4 star hotel for the next six months.

And there are always the local black powder / antique loopholes. Like in the picture attached to this message.
>>
Because its easier to drag AKs across the border than to machine shit.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.