[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Striker vs DA/SA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5
File: 6_zpsapcbjr1y.jpg (406 KB, 1024x942) Image search: [Google]
6_zpsapcbjr1y.jpg
406 KB, 1024x942
Which does /k/ prefer and why?
>>
Striker. I've done the DA/SA thing and didn't like the inconsistency of the first vs second trigger pull. Also, DA/SA to SAO conversions almost always have camming. If you're going to do hammer, just do a 1911; otherwise just do a striker fired (not an XD)
>>
>>30351764
Why you no SAO or DAO?
>>
>>30351764
DA/SA.
I'd rather simply practice with a single DA and then go to SA instead of having a shitty trigger 100% of the time.
I also simply tend to enjoy firearms that are DA/SA and not striker.
Lugers seems to avoid the problems that striker handguns have almost entirely though for some reason, and thus, I like the Luger system of striker firing.
>>
>>30351764
TP9v2 is Striker fired and is DA/SA

balls in your court OP
>>
File: 1453819401287.jpg (129 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1453819401287.jpg
129 KB, 1024x768
>>30351764
I prefer DA/SA but carry striker simply because there's no DA/SA the size of pic in 9mm.

If I had my way and lived somewhere that required more layers of clothing, DA/SA all the way. DA/SA is much more fun to shoot at the range, I actually enjoy the transition.
>>
File: CZ75_3.jpg (346 KB, 845x634) Image search: [Google]
CZ75_3.jpg
346 KB, 845x634
Oh my fucking god have you ever tried to explain how a DA/SA works to someone new to guns?

You'd think you were explaining quantum physics to a dog or something. The way they strain their brains to figure out what condition the gun is in, if there's even a round in the chamber, and most importantly, the why, how, and when of how a firearm even fucking works.

YOU KNOW...things that should be important when you're handling an instrument that launches a projectile at deadly velocities.

That's why I always recommend a fucking hammerless revolver or a striker-fired with safety to new people now, its just not worth the liability of giving a retard something with more than what amounts to an on/off switch...
>>
>>30353781
>Oh my fucking god have you ever tried to explain how a DA/SA works to someone new to guns?

I have no friends and frequently catch myself talking to myself pretending I'm explaining this to a new shooter.

I admit as a new shooter after shooting a P228, I could not wrap my head around what the fuck DA/SA was. I think it's much easer to teach them by explaining the point of it being safer to carry when decocked inside a holster
>>
>>30351764
DA/SA is more fun to shoot
striker is more practical to carry
>>
I'm proud that no one tried to claim second-strike capability as a positive for DA/SA.
>>
>>30356754
We aren't all dumb. I like hammers, dislike carrying cocked and locked. DA/SA is really my only option
>>
>>30351764
I like them both, each has some advantages and disadvantages
>>
Newfag here, i thought DA/SA, SAO and DAO were one thing and striker/hammer fired was something completely different. Are they mutually exclusive? im confused
>>
Haven't felt a striker trigger that wasn't terrible so far in my young life but to be fair I haven't been looking very hard
>>
>>30353437
Have you looked at the P99c?

>>30357407
The Sig P320 is the only Striker I don't hate, especially since it's one of the few good brands that doesn't use trigger safeties. I'm a huge Walther fanboy and I'll never buy a PPQ as long as they have the trigger safety.
>>
>>30356754
This is pretty much a marketing thing. Sig tried to use this as a reason to use DAK instead of something like a glock.
>>
>>30357390

DA/SA, DAO, and SAO all use hammers. Striker is different. DA/SA can be converted to or made in SAO or DAO. DA/SA has inconsistent trigger pull unlike all others. DAO is always bad. SAO is always good, but needs a safety. Striker is in between.
>>
>>30357390
Striker fired - Does not use a external hammer, the firing pin is built into the gun. All striker fired guns are double action only, the first pull of the trigger pulls the striker back, pulling it all the way back releases it, and gunshot.

Hammer fired - Can be single action only, double action only, or double/single action.

Single action only hammer - You can manually cock the hammer or rack the slide to draw the hammer back, then pull the trigger for a gunshot. Or if you have a revolver you need to cock the hammer every time yourself.

Double/Single action hammer - You can fire the gun double action but the slide will cock the hammer so your followup shots will be single action.

Double action only hammer - Never seen one, not sure if it's even a thing

I might be talking completely out of my ass here and might be completely wrong but that was my understanding of it.
>>
>>30353781
>>30353860
I'm somewhat new to guns. I think having watched this video helped immensely when learning about DA, SA, and striker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJzXG7MYX1c
>>
File: tomwut.jpg (3 KB, 125x98) Image search: [Google]
tomwut.jpg
3 KB, 125x98
>>30351764
Did we have this thread already? I'm getting serious deja-vu from not jsut OP but all the subsequent posts, >>30358579 in particular.
>>
>>30358635
well that video is in the sticky so maybe that's where the deja vu is coming from?
>>
>>30358635
It was posted last night but somehow keeps getting bumped from the bottom of the catalog..
>>
>>30358559
>Double action only hammer - Never seen one, not sure if it's even a thing

There's plenty of guns like this. It's a consistent double action pull.

Guns that are DAO with a hammer specifically
>Sig P250
>S&W Bodyguard
>Ruger LCP
>Keltec PF9

https://youtu.be/z8BKeIRnYyU?t=108
>>
File: 1464563035505.jpg (8 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1464563035505.jpg
8 KB, 300x300
>>30351839
the fuck? why not have a choice instead of limiting yourself?
>>
>>30353363
Technically glocks are DAO.
>>
>>30351830
Puss
>>
>>30358559
you have it pretty much in concept only that with a few exceptions most striker fired are single action only, as the racking of the slide sets back the striker. Also the DAK is a double action only hammer fired system.
>>
>>30358709
Nope SAO, you have to cock back the slide to set the striker. although maybe they magically become DAO in NYC with those retarded 13lb triggers the nypd uses.
>>
>>30358559
>>30358554
thanks guys, its nice to get such a detailed response.
>>
>>30351764
single action hammer semi auto, that can be put on safe with the hammer back.
>>
>>30351764
I like DA/SA with a manual safety and no decocker as i can choose to carry it hammer down, cocked and locked, or half cocked with the safety on.
>>
>>30358486

I have a CZ P-07 that I just bought. I've been concerned about carrying with a round chambered without a trigger safety. Should I swap out for the frame mounted safety or is it plenty safe enough in a holster and decocked with a round in the chamber.
>>
ITT: plebs who can't into triple action

K5/DP-51/LH9 master race.
>>
>>30360614
>triple action

literally who/gimmick tier

I bet you post "mah nigga" whenever someone posts a picture of their lionheart, faggot
>>
I happen to have all strikers in my small pistol collection because they mostly serve different purposes (EDC, bedside gun, etc). Is it worth it to get a DA/SA hammer fired pistol for something different or continue on with various striker guns that I still have an interest in?
>>
>>30360503
you can swap out the manual safety for a decocker with the omega trigger system. that being said I prefer the safety for my gen 1 P-07 since you can manually decock it and carry with a safety and DA pull for added security.
>>
>>30358676
Because I want the same trigger pull weight every time? How is that limiting?
>>
>>30360935
Wait a minute while I go make some toast for all this jelly
>>
>>30361589
Because that is your only option (limited implying lack of choices), plus is DA pull not the pure sex of a SA trigger.
>>
>>30362798
>for all this jelly

It's a $200 gun, don't worry.
>>
>>30362982
Now you're adding salt? This isn't /ck/ anon.
>>
>>30362953
I mean you could add both a decocker to half cock and a "triple action" onto a hammer fired pistol and have four different trigger pulls but I wouldn't see those as nice to have options. I don't really see practical benefit, if anything it mostly adds an additional hurdle to proficiency with a firearm.

I want gun to blat when I pull trigger. As long as the pull is smooth and the break is fairly crisp, the rest is fluff to me.
>>
>>30364806
thats completely fine anon, there's nothing wrong with choosing a handgun that is limited to one method of firing if thats what you want.
>>
Striker fired. The inconsistency of DA/SA throws me off.
>>
>>30364868
you do know you can have it cocked already, so it's always SA right?
>>
>>30364899
that's the stupidest thing i've heard
>>
>>30364925
have you ever used a da/sa pistol?
its never decocked unless you decock it
>>
>>30364932
nigger i probably have more da/sa pistols than the amount of guns you own

the whole point of owning a da/sa gun is to carry it in da and to shoot it that way after you draw. decocking is only for reholstering/movement you fucking faggot
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.