[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
upcoming AK 63F build questions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4
File: tmp9F5C.png (40 KB, 400x119) Image search: [Google]
tmp9F5C.png
40 KB, 400x119
Hey /k/, a while ago i ordered a fixed stock ak kit from ak-builders and soon i will order a 100% lower after thinking it over for simplicity. 2 questions are what do i need tool wise and help on the compliance parts. It's no longer available on their website, but the barrel is us made(and pressed and headspaced) and the furniture iirc is Korean made, there isn't a muzzle break on the barrel but idk if there's one in the bag, don't really want to open until I'm building? also i ordered us made rivets from them. so assuming i have #1 barrel, #2 brake, and #3 receiver (rivets dont count?) I'll be stuck with us mags for the other 3 parts? maybe i should email them so i know what parts i got? and I have an anvil and hammers is that good enough to rivet or did i bite off more than i can chew? never heard of a build party near me
>>
>>30351466
The Hungarian pistol-grip triggers my autism all the fuckin' time. Why the fuck did they do that!
>>
>>30351488
idk i like the look? thats why i got it
>>
so I'm thinking i can just buy a rivet block and lay it on my anvil and heat the rivets and hammer? should i just do this for the lulz and report back?
>>
File: 20160621_002123.jpg (3 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160621_002123.jpg
3 MB, 4128x2322
B-bump, just wanted some quick info but I guess I'll head over to an ak forum of this is too newfag
>>
>>30351466
you need 6 countable parts so if you pick up a trigger group, trigger hammer and sear will get you compliant. most folks here will call you a fag for caring, but all my guns are.

riveting an ak together will require you to remove the barrel from the trunnion, pound the rivets in with special tooling, then get the barrel back in. a hydraulic press is usually recommended for that procedure. then you need to make sure the gun is headspaced properly
>>
>>30351898
Well shit the site was all like "pressed and headspaced barrel" so I might have to undo that? Maybe I will open this up and give them a call/email. I've been kinda wanting a press for blacksmithing so it would have future use unlike an ak riveting thing. I saw that ak shovel and thought this would be easier, with the hopes of making a damascus flat someday...
Thanks though
>>
>>30351989
there are some non /k/ approved ways around that if you want to cheap out, leaving the barrel in and using it as a bucking bar for the rivets, or horror of horrors - screw building

if you got a press i'm sure you could rig something up to save yourself the cost of a riveting jig. you'd still have to shell out for some headspace gauges though.
>>
>>30351989
or if you can weld, that's supposed to be pretty bulletproof, don't see many of them built that way however.
>>
File: 1465588909717.jpg (13 KB, 458x418) Image search: [Google]
1465588909717.jpg
13 KB, 458x418
>>30351989
Shit senpai did you actually read up on how to put one of these things together before buying your kit? To rivet in the front trunnion """correctly""" you're going to have to press out the barrel, rivet in the trunnion, then press the barrel back in, CHECK THE HEADSPACE, then press the barrel pin in. I really can't imagine doing any of this without a hydraulic press. I also nutted up and bought the whole array of Curtis' tools and I can't say I'm mad that I did, they make putting these rifles together so easy an idiot like me can do it.

Also if you want to follow 922r, just get a Tapco G2 and file/polish the hammer face so you don't start mushrooming the back of the bolt carrier. It's $30 and imho better than the stock trigger.
>>
>>30352087
you could use a hammer and a penny in lieu of a press if you really had to.
>>
>>30352165
you can also send your kits off to professional builders in lieu of improper tools if you really had to.
>>
>>30352183
or just buy a finished gun, up to you what level of challenge you are willing to tackle.
>>
>>30352053
Idk I got a little 100 amp thing I could track them in with?
>>30352087
Just a little I figured if I got the kit pre headspaced and complete lower it wouldn't be nearly as intensive. Their site says "After setting the headspace we drill the barrel pin hole and ream for the new barrel pin. The pin is pressed most of the way through so you can press it back out the same way it was put in to remove the barrel for installing rivets. If you don't want to use rivets then just press the barrel pin the rest of the way in." Again I'd been mulling over getting a press, or maybe my first ak will be screws just to fuck with people/K...I'll be like "these screws represent how screwed I felt when I realized this was a bit more complicated than I thought" and again I got it so I'd have it. There's a finite about of kits I assume and they already don't carry this anymore
>>
>>30352087
I just bought a Hungarian kit from Curtis with a pre-headspaced barrel for my first build. Forgive my noob question, but why bother having pre-headspaced barrels if I just need to take the barrel out? I have a press so I'm not worried about doing it, I'm just a bit confused.
>>
>>30352165
That's what I'm saying! Again I have an anvil
>>30352183
Oh no no no no
>>30352199
Also naw. Needs to be sentimental
>>
>>30352242
That's what I'm wondering now. ..
>>
>>30352242
in case you want to cheap and dirty it ala >>30352030

>>30352235
>There's a finite about of kits I assume
you make an excellent point, i wish i bought more barreled romyG kits for $90 back in the day. hell i should have bought more cut barrel maddi kits for $200 at the height of the sandy vagina panic.
>>
>>30352301
So screw builds don't require the barrel to be removed? I know screw builds are disgusting, I'm just curious. Also, your kits were that cheap back then? Damn, tools and blank receiver aside my kit cost me about $450.
>>
>>30352242
The barrel is already drilled for the barrel pin, if you're using a virgin barrel you have to add the steps of
-setting the headspace yourself
-drilling for the barrel pin
-populating the barrel with the RSB, GB, and FSB
-drilling and pinning the three barrel parts

I helped my friend put together one of the pre-headspaced kits and it takes a lot of time off of the entire build

>>30352301
I'm buying as many "cheap" kits as I can that are floating around because I know I'll be kicking myself later if I don't. Kinda sucks getting into the building game at the tail end of the action, but at least I got in at all.
>>
>>30352366
>So screw builds don't require the barrel to be removed?
nope, leave it in the trunnion, tap the holes and screw it together.

kits really were that cheap, and it wasn't that long ago.
>>
>>30352410
I see, I guess I'm just late to the party.
>>30352379
Glad to hear it takes a lot of the work out. Sorry for such dumb questions, I'm just new to the AK side of things and there's a lot to learn. This is way more complicated than "building" an AR, I like the challenge though. Thanks everyone!
>>
>>30352379
See? I thought it cut out s lot of that. Now would I still need to headspace again?
>>30352410
Or I'm seriously considering this, since I could go back and rivet when I'm able? Heard about screws slipping what if I just spot welded? I could still knock/drill off
>>
And to double check, rivets/screws aren't "parts"? They're "part of" the receiver?
>>
>>30352457
>Now would I still need to headspace again?

Personally, I would never press a barrel into a trunnion and not check the headspace before pinning it. All you need to do though is just press the barrel back into the trunnion and line up the notch drilled out of the barrel and the hole of the trunnion, but a $65 investment for a GO and NO GO gauge for peace of mind is a lot cheaper than repairing your rifle and/or face.
>>
>>30352499
I don't think they're considered parts. The magazine is considered three parts for some reason, if that helps. One thing I've always wondered is if an 80% receiver was made elsewhere (Poland, for example) but finished in the US, would it be a compliance part since it was brought to working condition here? Or do they count it as foreign and not domestic?
>>
>>30352499
No. For an AK you only get to play with:
(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(9) Gas pistons
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Butt stocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, hand guards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Followers
(20) Floorplates
>>
>>30351466
Why do you care about American parts compliance? As far as I know no one has ever been charged for not having enough American parts on their gun
>>
>>30352499
nope
http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=80

>>30352457
you can switch out for rivets later, might get a little messy though.
>>
>>30352574
For me, it's partially because I enjoy the taste of boots and partially because I like to think I'm helping sustain some semblance of a domestic cottage industry for these rifles alive.
>>
>>30352537
Yeah valid point
>>30352559
Wondered that too, as I said I have a dream of forging a damascus flat but if the steels from China or some shit... I'd assume it's still counts
>>30352563
Or now that I remember is not really about how many us parts you add but how many foreign parts you DON'T have right? I couldn't have a 11 import part ak and weld a us made bayonet on and be like "I got 6 parts mr atf!"
>>
>>30352583
>>30352563
Yeah shit I think it's korean furniture, I'll email and ask if any of the other kit parts ar US besides barrel and muzzle. Otherwise I'll do trigger
>>
>>30352612
If your damascus flat is forged here then I'd say it's compliant regardless of where the steel came from, since it's being forged here. I'm sure a lot of things that are "made in the USA" have foreign components, so I think you'd be fine.
>>
>>30352861
Yeah that's actually what I meant. Like if a chair maker imported mahogany or whatever, it's still made in the us, or shirts made here with Chinese fabric etc
>>
>>30352886
Exactly, the steel wouldn't be a receiver until you work on it and make it one. That's how I'm viewing my 80%, even though much more work has been done to it already.
>>
>>30352886
Also, forging your own flat sounds awesome.
>>
>>30351989
Holy shit man. Did you think this through at all?

The headspaced kits are so you don't have to populate the barrel and drill the gas port yourself. You still need to remove the barrel from the trunion, rivet the trunion into your receiver and then put the barrel back into the trunion, line up the pin notch, double check headspace and pin it. A hydraulic press works well.

However, you can do this without a hydraulic press. Check Tothtool.com and get the barrel install/removal tool.

Riveting you can either A) get the tothtools all together around $280 or B) get the rivet jig from AK builder for $250 plus the trigger guard jig for another $65 plus shipping and all that, around $315 total.

Goddamn... Do your research man.
>>
>>30352966
Also, on 922(r) the easiest is going to be
1) barrel
2) pistol grip
3) receiver
4) trigger group(3 parts)
Totaling 6 parts, no worries about your magazines.

If you must have the Hungarian grip, then replace the muzzle device instead of the grip. I still can't fathom how you didn't realize it isn't an AR and thought you could just mate it to a lower.
>>
>>30352966
Ugh Thanks did you even read this thread at all? We pretty much covered all that thanks though. Got it partly as an opportunity buy.
>>30352956
And yeah I saw that shovel build and how "easy" damascus is to make if you have a press and was like "holy shit...best ak ever"
>>
>>30353068
I didn't see anything about the tothtools. Which look like a good option, though I use a press.

I get opportunity buys but seriously man. You didn't do any research first? I spent like 3 months watching videos and talking to anyone that would talk to me about builds before I even bought a kit.
>>
>>30353058
No I knew it was a bit more complex but all the bid started from scratch and was like "Huh gonna get this here headspaced one and a complete lower and rivet" I thought they were a little easier than all that but yeah I'm just gonna screw it "(litteraly) or buy a press...
>>
File: pressdutch2sm.jpg (1 MB, 1472x1820) Image search: [Google]
pressdutch2sm.jpg
1 MB, 1472x1820
>>30353085
Yeah thanks any suggestions are nice, and again the kit I got is already gone, not just "sold out", I'll call and double check what parts are domestic. Also I might try and make up some convoluted lever press put of 2x4s, pic related
>>
>>30353092
I would recommend the tothtools. Barrel removal/install tool, Long rivet tool, trigger guard tool and jaws + 24 inch bolt cutters.

You will need to dimple the receiver into the trunions, which I assume you can do with the bolt cutters + jaws and just use a ball bearing before putting on the swell neck rivet. I'm using a press and a ball bearing to dimple personally.
>>
>>30353138
Thanks, screen caped/I'll look into it but I don't envision doing many builds, or maybe if I spend a lot on tools then I'll have to haha. Any ways I'm going to bed Thanks for input, expect a Hungarian build within 3 weeks?
THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR INPUT! was much appreciated
>>
>>30353294
>sleeping
You're not going to make it.
>>
>>30353294
Not really sure how you will get around using purpose designed rivet jigs unless you can make your own. Already invested in the kit, might as well build it right. Get the tools, but more kits. What are you? Some kind of casual?
>>
>>30353348
Ugh idk poor fag? Not seeing kits for less than $400, usually 5. I'll read up more on riveting in general. If I have to I'll order screws and use those until I find someone with a jig, as I'll still have rivets
>>
>>30354663
There's kits for $300 right now. On tothtool.com for one where you can get riveting jigs and the jaws to boot. Also arms of America has $300 Tantal and Mod 63 kits
>>
>>30355767
Yeah I guess there are a few around $300. I'd still really just prefer to screws/hand hammer if possible. What exactly would I need from them? Barrel removal/install, long rivet tool and trigger guard tool? AND rivet bolt cutter thing?
>>
>>30356124
Barrel install/removal tool to pull the barrel and reinstall it after you rivet the trunion into your receiver.

The jaws work with harbor freight 24" bolt cutters. The will do all your rivets except for the long rivet and trigger guard

Long rivet jig for long rivet(s)

Trigger guard rivet jig for trigger guard rivets.

Look them up on tothtools and watch the video
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.