[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of other countries militaries.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 28
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
What do you think of other countries militaries.
>>
>>30337222
Depends which side they're on.
>>
>>30337222
>other countries
compared to what? is this how the North Korean intelligence network gets intel?
>>
File: europoors.jpg (222 KB, 1357x795) Image search: [Google]
europoors.jpg
222 KB, 1357x795
They're all shit.
>>
>>30337761
Ours
>>
>>30337222
They are utterly pathetic and would be militarily BTFO in under a month if they went head to head with the USA.
>>
They do what they can with the budget they've got.

China will push our shit in.
>>
I know the French got the best fihter jets.
I know the Chinese got the best navy.
I know the rest goes to the US.
>>
>>30341016
None of those claims are correct.
>>
>>30341016
This is bait.
Americans know this is bait.
But they'll respond to it anyway because they can't handle someone dissing the USN.
>>
File: 1465965407586.jpg (2 MB, 6064x6072) Image search: [Google]
1465965407586.jpg
2 MB, 6064x6072
>>30341016
Here's your (you) dullard
>>
>>30337222
Russia is overrated and China is underrated.

France has a good defense industry, but a small military.

Germany's military is pathetically underfunded and if NATO breaks up they are the most to blame.
>>
>>30337222

>canadian

bretty gud

>Italian

>military

>german and british

ok/10

>French

nice
>>
File: 795.gif (393 KB, 493x342) Image search: [Google]
795.gif
393 KB, 493x342
>>30341016
>China
>Better navy than usa
>>
>>30341023
How so? Aware me. The PLA Navy is vastly superior to yours, and the Rafale is known to be the most agile fighter.
>>
>>30337820

I was going to masquerade as a seppo and say the exact same thing
>>
>>30341271
>The PLA Navy is vastly superior to yours

what the fuck
>>
>Canada
Decent, they need to get those CF-18s replaced ASAFP, and get some more FFGs and DDGs.

>United Kingdom
RAF is pretty good. Good number of Yurocanards and Tornadoes. AWACS is a big plus. Airlift capability is pretty good as well.
Royal Navy is also pretty good, they have a good number of UNREP ships but
>A FUCKING RAMP

>Japan
Great Navy. They have a fuckton of FFGs and American-derived DDGs. Their submarines are also supposed to be really good. Of course, there's very little force projection capability though. JASDF is also not to be fucked with, they have over 150 F-15s plus 40 F-35s on the way, and 17 AWACS.

>Korea
ROK Navy is superb. 3 DDGs that carry the firepower of a CG, 9 DDH, soon to be 7 FFGs, and 25 frigates and corvettes, 80 coastal defense vessels, and 1 LHD with 2 more planned. They plan to be blue-water by 2020.
The ROKAF is also extremely well equipped. About 150 F-5Es, 60 F-15Ks, 120 KF-16s, 40 ordered F-35s, and 4 AWACS. The ROK Army will also rape the Nork Army. 1500 K1 tanks, 300 K2s, 800 upgraded M48s, 330 rocket artillery pieces, and over 2000 SPGs.

>>30341271
kek
>>
>>30341287
>They plan to be blue water by 2020

They building a carrier / LHDs for force projection?

Or just long haul voyages
>>
>>30341287
As a canuck we are nothing more than a supplement to the US due to our equipment constraints. We are lacking in sea, land and air in terms of equipment that isn't old as fuck or falling apart. Best we can offer right now is really good SOF units, a handful of tanks that will are almost top of the line and good infantry.
>>
>>30341057
>canadian
>bretty gud
>decent
Holy shit no. Every single branch is underfunded, delaying the CF-18 replacement is beyond negligent and the Navy is a sad joke

They don't really need it due to geography but they still have very poor capabilities.
>>
>>30341347
That are almost top of the line***
>>
>>30341307
2 or 3 more Dokdo LHDs, and some fast combat support vessels weighing in at 12,000 tons. They say they think they can have two CVLs by the mid 2030s.
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 600x600
>>30337222
Nice trips.

We have to try harder to take them seriously than to find ways to beat them.
>>
I live in Romania myself. Our military has pic related, so there's that.
>>
How does the Australian Defense Force stack up do you think?
>>
>>30341499

On a per capita basis it's pretty solid

But you have to remember, it's purely a defensive force with limited force projection capacity

It's only just now we're acquiring the assets needed to take the fight to our regional partners.

Would be nice if we had a modernized F-111 though, just to give us the ability to deep strike.
>>
>>30341499
small but well trained.
>>
>>30341520

Aren't we sposed to be getting some F-35s?

And I heard somewhere that we're developing our own carrier, dunno if its true or not.
>>
File: _82512432_sdwwnitm.jpg (32 KB, 660x371) Image search: [Google]
_82512432_sdwwnitm.jpg
32 KB, 660x371
>>30341472
Good news!
>>
File: james-may.jpg (506 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
james-may.jpg
506 KB, 2048x1536
>>30341548

Then it was my turn to arrive, and as you can see, I've done this properly.
>>
>>30341546
Despite all the hit pieces on it we're getting a stack of F35-As and they should be solid

No chance of a carrier, just can't afford it. New amphibious assault ships are useful but not for offensive air operations (Ramp installed, but we won't have anything that can use it).
>>
>>30341559
GET OUT OF MY HEAAAAAAAAAAAAAD

>mfw top gear will never be worth watching again
why does jeremy have to be such a cock
>>
>>30341573

Bummer, would be cool to see an aircraft carrier flying the aussie flag.

If we ever got one, what would you want it to be called?

>>30341577

Just keep the faith for the new show anon, it'll be even better than the golden age Top Gear.
>>
>>30341016
>>30341271
>agile = best fighter

Next you will tell us that Peru has the best navy because they have a cruiser with eight 6" guns.
>>
>>30341599
Rafale isn't even nearly the most agile anyway anon.

Stop falling for the bait.
>>
>>30341606

I had to :(
>>
>>30341546
New subs should be solid.
>>
>>30341591
How can I keep faith, it's all gone

Those dudes made the show, without them it's just another car show, it's nothing.
>>
>>30341629

I mean the new one with May, Clarkson and Hammond. The Amazon one
>>
>>30341667
Oh yeah, I'm looking forward to that for sure
>>
>UK
Crippled navy, dead tank industry, massively reduced and outdated air force. Recent reforms regarding army structure had hit the offcers corps hard, deprived army of the most combat capable units and disencouraged decent people from joining military service. UK army is now JSDF tier, utterly emasculated and on the verge of losing force projection abroad. Her Majesty can't deploy more than 30k active combat personnel and can't wage war for longer than 8-10 weeks.
>France
The only real military power in continental Europe. Balanced army structure, excellent navy, very niche but high end military industry, abundant experience in independent operations outside NATO framework, sustained capability in effective force projection abroad as proven by their silent and clean performance in Mali. The downsides are deficit of funding and recruits, common for modern Europe.
>PLA
A definitve paper tiger. No wartime experience, no joint command, no MIC of their own, no nuclear submarines or missiles capable to threaten their potential adversaries. Still better than us in many ways, most importantly the electronics. Their production rates are quite astonishing and their navy will eclipse the americans in foreseeable future. But lack of fundamental science and poor expertise in metallurgy ensures they will always lag behind 15 years in tech on average, depending on how much they will be able to buy from us or steal from americans.
>United States
A crumbling giant. Good at nothing beyond bombing sandpeople stuck between 1950s and stone age. Every technological advantage they've had over us in the past century is being wiped out in pursuit of "sensor fusion" and "information superiority". Every semblance of reform they conduct has to do more with social experiments and climate change rather than actual warfighting. Used to be different story in 1960s-1980s when they had competent people in charge. Rickover and McNamara, those were the enemies you could respect.
>>
>>30342079
I feel like this is an unfunny version of "What X caliber users are like"

Because nobody can really hold this bad of an opinion, can they
>>
>>30337820
>>30341279
ban australians from /k/ please
>>
>>30342079
>sustained capability in effective force projection abroad as proven by their silent and clean performance in Mali.

Just don't mention the RAF getting you there or anything, kek
>>
>>30342079
>McNamara
>respect

You were doing well until this point. Overall 7/10 b8
>>
>>30341606
>Rafale isn't even nearly the most agile anyway anon.

Although that guy is spouting bullshit, Rafale is up there in terms of agility.

And don't you tell me huge piles of metal like the Su-27 or the F-18 are more supple to fly.
>>
Our military is currently extremely underfunded because lol debts and that's a very bad thing cause we've been in a cold war with Turkey for 40 years now. But back when it wasn't underfunded, I'd say it was breddy good. 160 F-16s, a lot of them upgraded to block 52+, and some spare upgraded Mirage 2000s.
Hundreds of new and good Leopard 2A6 HELs plus upgraded Leopard 1s and upgraded M47s and M60s guarding the rear. We also have some neat German Artillery pieces. Our Navy is limited to green waters of course so it's just a bunch of very modern Frigates and smaller ships. Our only big weakness are our standard issue G3s imo, and even those are actually quite appropriate for what we're going for.

Turkey's military is pretty lulzy. The bought into the F35 hype and their Navy couldn't exit the Black Sea if it wanted to.
>>
We have the largest artillery in Europe, our land forces are trained in tactics well suited to our geography, air navy is up to snuff although it could be bigger, we have good anti-air capacity, our pilots are very capable. I just wish that the air force itself had more crafts than it currently has but you can't have anything. And the shift to new generation of fighters is kind of worrying for me.

The only incoming threat is Russia for the foreseeable future.
>>
File: 1456461939404.png (789 KB, 956x736) Image search: [Google]
1456461939404.png
789 KB, 956x736
>>30342096
u wot m8

I'm pure red blooded American.
>>
Canada here. From what I understand we are in desperate need of new equipment across most of the board, especially for the navy and RCAF. Our army is small but well enough equipped for its size and we do have a reputation for being highly skilled an professional. Not to worried though, our military was tiny at the start of both world wars and yet we were able to punch way above our weight inside a year. Came out of WW2 with the third largest navy in the world.
>>
>>30342942
>Came out of WW2 with the third largest navy in the world.
That's because the Nazi, Japanese, French, and Soviet fleets were all fucking sunken by then.
>>
>>30342955
Not to mention actually being in the thick of fighting, not having ports half a world away.
>>
>>30341046
tell me that's the length of the wall
please
>>
File: fennek.jpg (118 KB, 718x600) Image search: [Google]
fennek.jpg
118 KB, 718x600
Netherlands here.

We literally sold all useful shit (APC's and MBT's) over the course of the last 5 years, and now the remainings of our military is integrating into the German one (which is also shit).

Our Minister of Defence (who is also shit) declared that the country wouldn't be able to defend itsself anymore in the case of an invasion just 2 months ago.
Soldiers have to shout bang bang because ammo is too expensive.

But well, at least we're going to buy everything we sold back after Wilders gets elected next election.
>>
>>30342972
That's going to be the length of the wall if it covers the whole border.
>>
>>30342994
Isn't your Minister of Defence some pro-rapefugee woman? This smells like intentional subversion.
>>
>>30343016
AFAIK she's pretty neutral on the refugee shit, but she is just a shitty politician and an even shittier Minister of Defence.
Literally the only reason she was picked is because she was female and I'm pretty sure she would call a barrel shroud a shoulder thing that goes up if you asked her.
>>
>>30343038
(point that i was trying to make is that she knows nothing about the military)
>>
>>30343038

Don't feminists realize that they're subverting their own cause by intentionally promoting non-meritocratic appointments and thus repeatedly publically demonstrating that (the) women (that they shoehorn into power) aren't capable of intelligent decisions?
>>
>>30343130
No, because they lack the ability to step back from their emotions. "Yay grrl power" is usually the extent of their thought process.
>>
>>30337222
They all suck
>>
>>30342965

The Americans also had ports half a world away, fuck so did the Brits in Africa.
>>
>>30342218
Stop using words you don't know the meaning of you cretin
>>
>>30341016
Fihter

fihter
>>
>>30337222
Iraqi's are pretty cool. I fucking hate the saudis, gotta deal with two of them in my class. Iraqi's tend to gel real well and their english is cool. 10/10 bro tier. Singaporeans are also good as well as the lebanese. Pakistanis deserve the gas chamber
>>
File: image.jpg (86 KB, 540x810) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86 KB, 540x810
>>30342079
>No wartime experience, no joint command, no MIC of their own, no nuclear submarines or missiles capable to threaten
>>
File: Putbro.png (193 KB, 392x348) Image search: [Google]
Putbro.png
193 KB, 392x348
>>30341051

>russia
>overrated

media tells you all the time russian equipment sucks and is old, while in fact they spend a good amount of money for upgrading their military, they would steamroll europe at this moment.
>>
>>30344104
Shit I'm American and I'd love to see Russia invade Europe. Please remove kebab, Putin
>>
>>30344104
They would certainly push past the former eastern bloc states quite quickly without much resistance (sans poland) but would get their shit pushed in as soon as everyone else mobilized.
>>
File: 1461595664483.jpg (47 KB, 640x503) Image search: [Google]
1461595664483.jpg
47 KB, 640x503
>>30342079

I love this.

You pushed all the right buttons to cause assrage in me.
>>
>>30344104
EU cant even stop refugees from invading. How are they going to stop drunk Russians with guns?
>>
>>30337222
The only military I respect in central america is guatemala. Their brutality against the cartels is inspiring. Like chemical burn torturing or chainsaw from the groin up kind of shit.

Beautiful.
>>
>>30342994
>edgy 16 year old spotted

Have you forgotten the mess the other ministers of defense left her with? Hennis is the only MoD we had in 20 years who actually got more funds for our military while also pushing for new frigates, new subs, new tanker aircraft, installed a new Leopard 2A7 tank battalion, stopped the sale of the new Joint Support Ship, got the F-35 engine maintenance facility contract and so on.

Regarding the "integrating" into the German military, that's only airmobile and tank brigade of the army. Both of which the Germans are top tier in. I don't see the problem in training and exercising together, and the cooperation won't go beyond that. They are still stationed here and under Dutch command. Did you know the Belgian Navy is officially under Dutch command as well? In the real world it means very little, as the Belgians are still in control of day to day operations. But it's still very useful for smaller nations like ours to seek alliances parallel to NATO, and we've been doing it for ages. See the combined UK/NL Amphibious Landing Force, the aforementioned integration of the Belgian Navy into ours, the combined Benelux QRA and more recently the combined A330MRTT fleet we'll have with Norway and Poland, and I could go on.

And we were never able to defend ourselves ever since tanks and airplanes were invented. Literally impossible with so many people on a small piece of flat land. But we're in the middle of the NATO sphere anyway, so it's pretty much a meme to say we should "defend ourselves". It's also a meme to say the Leopard 2s were useful, they weren't for us and that's why they were catching dust. There's no domestic or foreign threat big enough for us to have 100+ MBTs in operational condition, so I don't see selling them as a big loss. For us it's much more useful to have a decent navy, which we have.
>>
>>30337222
La France strongue.
Italie et Germanie est shit.
We no tanks doe.
>>
>>30344574
>Bundeswehr
>"top tier"

T O P
O
P

F U C K I N G
U
C
K
I
N
G

K E K
E
K

Let me give you some advice, kid: Don't ever board here again. You clearly know shit about dick.
>>
>>30344784
German paras and tankers are top tier, yes
>>
>>30337222
Interior.
>>
>>30344784
Like anyone here knows about weapon systems outside of memes and marketing.
>>
>>30342079
>>France
The only real military power in continental Europe. Balanced army structure, excellent navy, very niche but high end military industry, abundant experience in independent operations outside NATO framework, sustained capability in effective force projection abroad as proven by their silent and clean performance in Mali. The downsides are deficit of funding and recruits, common for modern Europe.

Thanks for the kind words but you're partly wrong mate. French army is as in a bad shape as others.

There are less than 200 155mm arty pieces in the French army mate.

Only 60 AESA ordered for the Rafale F3 to be included on the F4.

Of the originally planned 17 FREMM frigates only 8 will be built.

No plans to replace the Charles de Gaulle.

Totally dependant to what ayyrabs buy from us to decide what we build for us.

And finally we can't pay our army because no money.

It's in shit, and only our exterior operations make us relevant. With decent gear, the french army would be far better. But for this we need a 70 Billions defense budget.
>>
>>30344432
wow. Nice and edgy of you, kid.

Hope you get roped into a cartel someday (because lots of the guys in them are roped in) and get a little taste of animal justice. Not killed by it, but enough to know that you don't wish that shit on anyone.
>>
File: 1460236341378.jpg (10 KB, 175x192) Image search: [Google]
1460236341378.jpg
10 KB, 175x192
>>30345159
>calls anon out for being edgy
>replies with something just as edgy
>>
>>30342079

Frog detected.
>>
>>30345077

>Only 60 AESA ordered for the Rafale F3 to be included on the F4.

Wait what? Only 60 are getting AESAs?

I thought the whole point of RBE-2 AESA being a smaller and less power radar was that they could afford it for the whole fleet.

Jesus fucking christ, and I'd only just gotten over the complete gutting of the FREDA ships designs to second tier AAW ships and the Barracudas being "conservative and not bleeding edge" to remain affordable. Not to mention going from 50 MLRS to 13.

What's next? Scorpion getting cancelled?
>>
>>30342218
Rafale is relatively maneuvrable at low altitudes compared to similar aircrafts, but is far less agile overall than a Typhoon, for instance.
>>
>>30342079
>The downsides are ... recruits
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the French recruit a shitton of warlike people via the foreign legion?
>>
>>30342955
Fuck this noise. Canada liberated my hometown in WW2. You guys are the best army in the world.
>>
>>30344574
Navy. Useful.
You could learn so much from the swiss
armed forces.
>>
>>30341287
>CF-18s

I just want Canada to bring back the war blimp. They can carry mining equipment in peace time, act as a high-altitude UAV carrier, and act as a relay for communication.

Come on Graphene, make it happen...
>>
>>30345266
I would have guessed Rusky myself.
>>
>>30342235
Hahaha Greek thinks we have an army hahahah
>>
>>30345322
>Wait what? Only 60 are getting AESAs?
For now, yes.

>I thought the whole point of RBE-2 AESA being a smaller and less power radar was that they could afford it for the whole fleet.
No. The point is it's a plug and play radar you can exchange with the RBE2 PESA. It takes something like an hour to do so, with no software update, as everything is virtualised.

Thus, any Rafale can be AESA. However, since the french army has no money, they thought it would be a better idea to not buy many of these, which are GaaS-made, and wait a few years until GaaN-made modules flood the market, so they can have something even better.

The same goes for Spectra antennas. Some GaaN antennas have been attached to the Rafale who recently did exercices with the F-22 and Typhoons.

Jesus fucking christ, and I'd only just gotten over the complete gutting of the FREDA ships designs to second tier AAW ships and the Barracudas being "conservative and not bleeding edge" to remain affordable. Not to mention going from 50 MLRS to 13.

What's next? Scorpion getting cancelled?

The point of Scorpion is to save money, so no, it won't be cancelled. For the rest, yup, it's THAT bad.

Can you believe the state gives more to lefty syndicates and associations than to the defense ? 34 vs 33 billions.

At this point, what we need is a hardcore leader who just bashes skulls and don't give a shit, and MAYBE we'll have something decent enough.
>>
>>30344104
>media tells you all the time russian equipment sucks and is old, while in fact they spend a good amount of money for upgrading their military, they would steamroll europe at this moment.

Russian military was woefully underfunded from 1990 to 2010 or so. Yes they are getting new gear... due to fact that older gear in most cases is simply falling apart. In 90's ICBM deterrence was pretty much only thing in their military that got new investment and got their paychecks on time.

>>30344430
>EU cant even stop refugees from invading. How are they going to stop drunk Russians with guns?

Armed Russians aren't covered by bullshit human rights treaties and globalist puppets in governments.
>>
>>30346135
The Swiss don't have a coastline along one half of the border, nor overseas territories.
>>
File: 1403782555074.jpg (38 KB, 367x376) Image search: [Google]
1403782555074.jpg
38 KB, 367x376
>>30341472
You've got to be kidding me
>>
Countries that could surprising fuck up most developed nations: Poland and Turkey.
>>
File: image.jpg (382 KB, 2088x1395) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
382 KB, 2088x1395
>>30345322
What about the leclercs
>>
The F35 sucking is one of the dumbest memes on the internet.

Canada's defense department is desperately trying to buy them and that cuck Trudeau is going to force them to get planes that are currently outdated. That is all one really needs to know. Oh, and one the programs biggest critics is David Axe. Case closed.
>>
>>30344908

Their rank file soldiers and junior officers might be competent... but their staff and flag aren't capable to do any long term planning.

Pretty much only European country that has fucked their military worse than Germany is Sweden.
>>
>>30337222
I think most of them are very military like, with the industralised countries having the more powerful ones, particularly the USA and Russia, I also think there are some differences between the quality of soldiers, but i think it's small and mostly come down to culture, while the real difference is between doctrine which is guided by the experience countries have in war.

I know those are extreme opinions but they are mine.
>>
File: tr-85.jpg (1 MB, 2016x1512) Image search: [Google]
tr-85.jpg
1 MB, 2016x1512
>>30347196
while we're on the subject...
>>
>>30341271

The USN is the largest navy in the world (man power-wise). The PLAN only have one aircraft carrier. We have 10, and more with the Gerald R. Ford class being introduced this year. The PLAN has three amphibious transports. We have 31. The USN also has the second largest Air Force on the planet, with 3,700. The PLAN have 650.
>>
The USN has 3,700 aircraft, compared to the PLANs 650.
>>
>>30337222
E.U would have been overrun by soviets without the U.S

However. European militaries are quite a bit smaller. but in some areas at least, more professional.
>>
File: VwF9iOZ.jpg (102 KB, 960x640) Image search: [Google]
VwF9iOZ.jpg
102 KB, 960x640
>>30337820
>>
>>30337222
I like the French military.
>>
>>30347270

Cut to only 200. They're getting upgraded, but the majority (206) are now in storage.

It fucking sucks. Damn these leaders. Gutted frigates, unambitious subs, massive drop in rocket artillery, second carrier program cut, only a small handfull Rafales getting AESA (and a tiny static one at that), navy logistics destroyed so that even fucking Germany has a larger logistics fleet now, deployable troops dropped to only around 25k, the sealift ships sold, no 5th gen program, the grand UAV project only went for 18, the Reapers don't even get weapons, only around half the attack helos get guided missiles and the complexity of the world is only going up.

It's a complete mess.
>>
>>30342079
>United States
>A crumbling giant.
BS
>Every technological advantage they've had over us in the past century is being wiped out in pursuit of "sensor fusion" and "information superiority".
How is sensor fusion a bad thing?

>UK
>Recent reforms regarding army structure had hit the offcers corps hard
What reforms did that?
>army is now JSDF tier
I thought JSDF were supposed to be good?

>PLA
>Still better than us in many ways, most importantly the electronics
How does that compaer to the West?
>>
>>30347112
But France has been very successful at arms sales recently so I don't see this as a problem
>>
>>30344908
>German paras and tankers are top tier, yes

top tier on the parade ground
>>
>>30348036
>Tayquan-5'11
>Everyone else pictured-6'
>>
>>30345793
>Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the French recruit a shitton of warlike people via the foreign legion?

the legion is not that big m8
>>
>>30348219
>Every technological advantage they've had over us in the past century is being wiped out in pursuit of technological advantages we'll never match

fixed for you

ouiouiouioui
>>
>>30348268
It should keep their defense industry at the cutting edge, but they're giving away their current technology, which should concern many countries at least a little. India and Australia both essentially bought the technological knowledge in addition to equipment.
>>
>>30348160
Isn't France supposed to have another aircraft carrier
>>
>>30341350
>t. someone who has never been around the canadian army
>>
File: 15 RBS 70 NG.jpg (601 KB, 1600x1063) Image search: [Google]
15 RBS 70 NG.jpg
601 KB, 1600x1063
Lets start with mandatory part....

>SWEDEN
>YES!

When you have lieutenants doing grunt work... something has gone horribly wrong in armed forces.

When Cold War ended Sweden had roughly 800k soldiers for war time mobilization. 15 brigades , 100 battalions of artillery, engineers, rangers, marines and logistics to support main force, around 300 fighters in air force... and so on. Everything could be mobilized in week or so. As Cold War ended eternal peace began. Armed forces main mission of territorial defense was changed to international peace keeping operations.

By 2010... they had droped conscription in favor of fully professional force. They had 2 combat capable mechanized infantry battalions and 4 companies of auxiliary units to support 'em. Their air force had been cut down to 120 fighter... and enough personnel to operate roughly half of 'em.

To get into bit more anecdotal details.

The switch from conscription based military with massive reserve to professional force was done according to laws.. to the fucking letter.

As result Swedish armed forces had on it's payroll in 31st of December 2015

5807 full-time soldiers, sailors and squadleaders.
7279 full-time officers.
1869 full-time specialist officers (senior NCOs).
3769 part-time soldiers, sailors and squadleaders.
6140 reserve officers.
207 reserve specialist officers
21487 home guard

Because in Sweden any employer restructuring workforce has to fire latest hired employees before more senior ones. They had alternative of firing every junior officer and NCO and keep staff officers and SNCO's. Only way they could actually keep anyone younger than 40 in military was to also keep all the higher ups needed for 15 brigades and 100 battalions... until they retire. Actual goal was to build 2 brigades and 15 or so support arms battalions.

Another minor detail. In 2000 Swedish army had 3 artillery regiments. Now they have total 12 howitzers and another 12 on order.
>>
File: PA2.png (865 KB, 995x497) Image search: [Google]
PA2.png
865 KB, 995x497
>>30349095

They were supposed to build two Charles de Gaulle class boats, but other got axed as cold war ended. In early 2000's they were supposed to cooperate with UK on next gen carrier, but that was put on indefinite hold in 2009 and finally cancelled in 2013.
>>
>>30349714
It would be nice to see the French make a comeback but will see. Are you from there
>>
>>30349865

Nope. Just some one who spends way too much time following news about defense matters.
>>
>>30345159
That isn't edge. I'm from there and saw what the cartels did to the country in the 80s and 90s. If it wasn't for the government giving free reign to the military and the local police, we'd be just as bad off as mexico. So yeah, I'm glad they did some dark shit to the cartels. We aren't as bad off as some of the other countries.
>>
>>30348036
>finnish dude is mongolian
>>
>>30350193
You would think they would care due to recent events
>>
>>30341629
If you're actually into cars, you'll enjoy Chris Harris. I really hope they use him for serious commentary and that his segments won't devolve into the "myth busters about cars made by 12 year olds in old English men's bodies" nonsense, which unfortunately is what made top gear so popular for this generation.
>>
>>30348268
>>30348535
What this anon said. We're selling the jewels of the crown trying to tie up long term partnerships because we know fucking well the good old days are over.

With an extended budget of 60 to 80 Billions, marvels would come out of the french defense industry. But hey, not anyone has the chance to be american, and even in America, shit programs do happen.
>>
>>30344432
>>30350234

>3rd World Mentality Intensifies

Possibly true, but disgusting. South america shoudl be nuked.
>>
>>30349714
>flight deck made out of air hockey table
>jets slide off for take off
génie
>>
>>30353371
>With an extended budget of 60 to 80 Billions, marvels would come out of the french defense industry.

so basically like every other western country then. you're a unique flower.
>>
File: 1465916689163.jpg (34 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1465916689163.jpg
34 KB, 640x640
>>30353390
>South America should be nuked
>Guatemala is Central America
We're classufied as a second world nation.
>>
>>30341016
10 FUCKING AIRCRAFT CARRIERS NUMBNUTS
10 FUCKING AIRCRAFT CARRIERS
DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT THE FUCK THAT MEANS?
THAT'S A PORTABLE FUCKING AIRFORCE
A PORTABLE
AMERICAN
AIRFORCE
>IMPLYING DESTROYERS AND ARTIFICAL ISLANDS CAN DEFEAT AN AMERICAN AIRFORCE
FUCK YOU
>>
I think the French navy is overrated. They don't have all that many destroyers/frigates and the CdG, though nuclear, is still lightweight and there's only one. Even the UK's cut down navy seems to be in better shape right now and will before long get 2 carriers with F-35Bs.
>>
>>30353686
They're tech is good. They just don't have enough of it. They're considered by some to have the 3rd or 4th best subs.
>>
>>30353709
DCNS is an excellent company.
>>
>>30353686

People generally hold the French Navy higher because of the Royal Navy's lack of fixed wing aircraft, but if you scratch the surface you'll see a difference, like the RN ships being fitted with AESA radars, the French not. Logistical tonnage and number.
>>
Well the us military has good guys but also alot of fags, they are like a modernised african militia
>>
>>30342994
Thanks for selling us your Leopards.
>>
>>30337222
I like most countries militaries. Like Australia. They wear shorts because its hot, they grow beards, stuff that makes sense. And here I am going to the third sexual assault/ dont kill yourself briefing this year. I feel like the us military has become like that boss in office space. "Did you get the memo on those tps reports, also the heading has changed to black"
>>
>>30344574

Leopard 2s weren't useful because we were to cucked to ever use them, and because we don't have the ability to transport them.

Ironically we still have tons of decent IFVs, yet no tanks.
>>
>>30345077
>>30347112
What branch of the army are you in?
>>
>>30353551
10 overpriced missile targets desu; that air force is a lot less scary when its runway has been one-shotted by a sea-skimmer. And FYI, we have 11 fleet carriers last I checked, with loads more light carriers, helo carriers, etc.

Anyways, the American and Chinese navies are like night and day, comparing them is pretty pointless. IMO, each is the best for its respective role. China has an assload of fast, cheap missile platforms for littoral defense, while the US has the aforementioned ASM targets for bullying third-worlders who have no way to defend against them. All other navies are pretty shit tier; either under-equipped or equipped with a clusterfuck of different vessels ordered without an overarching mission in mind.
>>
>>30354381
>China has an assload of fast, cheap missile platforms for littoral defense
10 years ago that would be the case but the current PLAN (heh) is to follow in the footsteps of the USN hence why there has been consistent frigate and destroyer construction for many years now and a long term plan for a multi aircraft carrier fleet.
>>
>>30337222
France is interesting.

Some often say they're old fashioned, but that goes further than that, they're literally pulling tricks from the depths of ages, and witnessing the French military makes the air heavy with centuries of French history. The French army is old and well established, it doesn't feel new, and in a good way, and they're operating way more than most people think: Africa is pretty much France's background, and they're everywhere. They also have a surprising navy, which also covers the whole fucking planet because of all the remote territories they kept from the colonial era.

Many of the things they do are quite surprising.
Like in Afghanistan, where they were incredibly close to the local population, learning their language, tying their shemaghs the way locals do, until you can't distinguish them from locals from which they are positively perceived. They don't look like invaders like others do, and actually look like they're here to help.
Or they way they deploy their "omnirole" planes. Whether it's the Rafale which saw little combat so far, or the Mirages previously, they're such complete and versatile planes, they're not kidding, they really do everything. They only need to have one plane up in the air to have it serve as a mobile radar, radio repeater, target painter, air surveillance and superiority- just one plane and they dominate the battlefield, having eyes and ears everywhere.

Good thing their military is small, because if it was any bigger, they'd be the scariest military on the planet.
>>
>>30354563
topkek and I'm French
>>
>>30354627
Well everyone likes to make fun of their own. Until you check others and realize that what you consider ridiculous is in fact very good.

You always better see the defects from up close.
>>
File: image.jpg (256 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
256 KB, 1024x682
>>30354627
You have beautiful jets
>>
File: vh6xAcH1r.jpg (135 KB, 1280x719) Image search: [Google]
vh6xAcH1r.jpg
135 KB, 1280x719
>>30337222
>>
>>30355931
this this
>>
File: image.jpg (955 KB, 1400x1017) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
955 KB, 1400x1017
>>30355952
Oh ok
>>
>>30350510

they do care, Do you know how many refugees or Africans that could feed for the rest of their lives compared to getting a new carrier?
>>
>>30354563
>Francophile, the post
>>
>>30355997
>tfw not in BF1
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 800x581) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 800x581
>>30356578
I know that feel. Most my military buddy's find the French surrender meme real.
>>
>>30354563
>Like in Afghanistan, where they were incredibly close to the local population, learning their language, tying their shemaghs the way locals do, until you can't distinguish them from locals

Well that isnt that surprising considering France has more islamofuckjobs than the Afghans do.
>>
>>30347112
>what we need is a hardcore leader who just bashes skulls and don't give a shit

>Muh Lepen.
>>
>>30342994
Thanks for the tanks love Canada you swamp german
>>
>>30349615
More officers than soldiers? What the fuck sweden
>>
>>30356851
Isn't that the legion thought
>>
>>30354127
ah they are shit. VOR rates on them at the unit is horrible.
>>
>>30357483

They have employment security laws and they can't fire 'em. Basically any employer in Sweden has to fire latest hired employees before older employees. Before switching to all volunteer professional military with 40k soldiers they had around 800k war time mobilized soldiers. Swedish armed forces requested for exemption when they switched to all professional military, but that was denied by politicians and courts. Their organization was on every level built up for massive mobilization of reserves, their officer corps was built on that assumption. That led to situation where they basically had option to fire every lieutenant and captain and keep majors and lieutenant colonels. That would have led to situation where 50 year old lieutenant colonels or majors would have been platoon leaders. Easy way out was to keep all officers and wait until they retire.

Given all legal bullshit... If I had been Swedish minister of defense in that situation I would have set up an infantry regiment for all excess staff officers. Think about that, unit where colonels and majors become de facto privates.
Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.