[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Prepping
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: 1465962982974.jpg (75 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
1465962982974.jpg
75 KB, 720x720
Hey /k/, i asked this in /GQ/ but i figured I'd make my own thread. My mother and brother came to me today and told me they wanted to start prepping, we have a couple grand for supplies and they asked me to puck up a few more guns and teach them to shoot (right now we just have my ar and g19) as far as guns go, should i get a few more ars and glocks or are there better options? wheres the best place to pick up bulk ammo? Is there a legal restriction on how much you can buy? Thanks in advance /k/omrades. Also, prepping general i suppose.
>>
ARs and 9mm Glocks are good. Common, fairly reliable, shoot standard ammo. Plus the recoil should be manageable even for your mom. Restrictions on ammo are essentially nil, except for some states don't let you mail order it. If your state does, you can order by the thousand. Find good prices on wikiarms or other meta-search sites.
>>
>>30336272
Awesome, i appreciate the help amigo! As far as the ar's go should i just grab some basic bitch m&p's or should i build them?
>>
>>30336415
Basic, standardized, and cheap is the way to go for bulk buying. Let them change their own ARs if they want to afterwards - the things are like lego.
>>
>>30336464
This. Also, remind them that there are a million more aspects to "prepping" than just "I bought muh guns." Non-perishable dry goods, food stores, health, hardening one's home, first aid, comms...
>>
>>30336495
Speaking of comms, HAM radio is a must for serious prepping. Make sure at least one, preferably two, people in your home are licensed and have practice talking to other hams. It will work when literally no telecom infrastructure does and can be used over very long ranges with the right techniques and equipment. Hams have been used to coordinate disaster response in areas with down phone systems for decades.
>>
>>30336495
This, recommend >>>/out/ for some survival tips, bushcraft, etc. Which can be handy. Also the show Doomsday preppers have *some* nifty tips and trick, but you gotta take it with a grain of salt.

Own safety is alpha omega, proper use of firearms, there's one thing be watch out for enemy fire, another thing to watch out for friendly fire.

Let them customize their AR's how they like after trying it out. What most people like to adjust are grip placements, and type of sights.
>>
>>30336495
>>30336524
Yea, i know the guns aren't the most important aspect of it but up until now they were both pretty anti-gun so the way i see it, if nothing else, at least they're converted. As far as food goes I've been looking into the freeze dried meals like Wise food storage and I've been trying to get into comms for awhile. We live in a townhouse though so I'm not sure how viable bugging in is.
>>
>>30336250
If you're looking at a good do-it-all setup, then a pair of basic AR's and a Glock 19 or 26. It's a good setup. You could get other 9mm handguns like a Ruger LC9s, SR9E, or a multitude of M&P handguns that are pretty reasonable price-wise.

You could also vary the selection a bit. I'd probably go for a Glock 23 plus caliber conversion kit and a Glock 26 for easier concealed carry. For long guns, maybe as second AR-15 and a pump-action 12GA.

As for ammo, there's a ton of places online that sell in bulk. For ammo, 1000 rounds each upfront for training and plinking. Buy 5 to 10 types of match-grade and 5-10 types of hunting ammo. Shoot 'em and compare groups across the 3 AR's. Buy 10 boxes of the best options, looking for MOA or better performance.

Aside from that, get them some basic gear. A high-lumen flashlight, first aid kits, a Sawyer Mini for water filtration, and some mylar blankets to stick around.
>>
>>30336250
>guns
AR-15 and G19 for everyone is fine. make sure everyone has a comfortable OWB holster, rifle sling, chest rig, and plenty of mags.

>ammo
I use ammoseek to compare prices.
>>
>>30336524
Some basic Beofeng radios work for near-by. Truck radios are decent for adding range without significant cost. Think about getting some solar equipment if you're going to rely on electronics. GoalZero has "solar generators" that integrate a battery and AC inverter in a (somewhat) portable package. You can charge the battery via solar panel or by plugging into another 12V-DC or 120V-AC power source. You can then discharge the battery to power your electronics. (I'd suggest the radios and maybe you add an old laptop loaded with survival information plus an old smartphone with GPS and detailed regional maps.)

Other things to do--if you/they have generators, make sure you upgrade all light bulbs to LED. That alone will improve fuel/energy efficiency.
>>
>>30336793
For ammo, I buy pistol ammo from LAXammo.com. Their 9mm reloads come to about 18 cents per shot. Buy 1000 for like $200 shipped; their reloads are top notch and I havent had any problem with the 1000+ .45ACP reloads I've sent through my 1911. They also very frequently have free or flat rate shipping sales which really helps your price per round.

For 5.56, I buy the ZQI brass case off of Aimsurplus. Their shipping prices are very reasonable and they usually have one of the better prices on it, about .32 cents per shot. I also enjoy buying from SGammo.com, but only if I am going to buy doing a really large purchase, as their shipping tends to be a little more than AIM on smaller orders, but less than Aim on larger orders.

Use gunbot.net to look for deals on ammo
>>
>>30336793
As far as chest rigs and owb holsters go, what are some good ones to look at? I'll need 3 or 4 or each probably
>>
Thanks for all the feedback gents, the knowledge is greatly appreciated
>>
Bumping for interest
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.