[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello /k/ I'm on the market looking for a safe. I currently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (681 KB, 1632x1224) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
681 KB, 1632x1224
Hello /k/ I'm on the market looking for a safe. I currently own a mosin but I just bought an ar-15. Should I buy a small 4 rifle cabinet or just spend the money on an actual safe?

Post your safes
>>
>>30321538
Bumping for interest
>>
>>30321538
I've got two small safes. One for small arms and one for 4 long guns. They are both full and I have to buy a 3rd one. I wish I had bought larger safes directly.
>>
Do you actually want to protect your guns (be it from thieves or disasters) or just from curious people? If the later, you don't really need a safe.

Cheap safes are not much better than cabinets (and both really aren't much better than just hiding the gun somewhere). You are better off relying on home or renters insurance (or the free insurance you get as an NRA member) if you're guns are replaceable.

Research the safe you're interested in to see if the protection is actually worth it. Most gun safes that are under 500 bucks and larger than 8 guns usually are not and can be defeated in less than 10 minutes due to short locking bolts and weak doors.
>>
>>30321538
spend the money on an actual safe. 4 rifle cabinets are too small, and too easy to break into.

The thing about safes is that 80% of the time, their job is fire resistance, not B&E protection. A good safe will do both. You don't have to spend 3000 bucks on a good safe, but you should be spending at least a grand.

Another thing to do is to always get a bigger safe than what you need. you're going to have more than 4 rifles if you're a good commando and dropping 500 on a sentry POS now and then having to drop 1500 on a more proper safe down the road is silly.

you're going to find a million opinions on brands, and everything else, but here's the tl;dr I think we can all agree on:
>whatever it is, must be securely bolted to the floor
>get a bigger safe than what you need currently
>the more rural you are, the more fire-proofing you need
>a proper safe will be very expensive and it is worth saving up and spending it on to keep your belongings secure

I have a Libery Lincoln 35
>>
>>30321647

I don't really plan on buying more then 1 more rifle and possible 1 more handgun. The thing is, is that I don't really want a huge safe because they are quite expensive and a bit over my budget, but at the same time having guns laying around the house isn't much of an option either. I'm leaning more towards a smaller cabinet. I live in a decent area so I'm not quite worried of someone breaking into it (not saying that it couldn't happen of course)
>>
File: Tactical-Walls-Mirror-2[1].jpg (42 KB, 620x400) Image search: [Google]
Tactical-Walls-Mirror-2[1].jpg
42 KB, 620x400
>>30321614
>Cheap safes are not much better than cabinets (and both really aren't much better than just hiding the gun somewhere)

not OP but I feel like this makes so much sense. Right now I just have a 12 ga in my closet and a hunting rifle I keep at a relative's house (because that's where I hunt), but when I graduate to a Glock and an AR-15 I'm going to go with a recessed wall-mirror hidden cabinet.

If I have a safe in my house, it's fecking obvious that's where my valuables are and if anyone's there when I'm not they're just gonna take the safe.
>>
File: 20160618_143753.jpg (3 MB, 4032x2268) Image search: [Google]
20160618_143753.jpg
3 MB, 4032x2268
I got mine for 500 bucks with no interior and refinished it myself for like 300. It is already too small and I will need to go bigger by the end if the year. It worked good as a stop gap for cheap.
>>
File: 20160618_143822.jpg (3 MB, 4032x2268) Image search: [Google]
20160618_143822.jpg
3 MB, 4032x2268
>>30321779
I still haven't gotten around to putting a light inside. I would still recommend insurance via its own rider I am insuring around 50k worth of guns for 20 bucks a month
>>
File: gunsafe.jpg (131 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
gunsafe.jpg
131 KB, 480x640
>>30321538
I have a basic stack on safe. Nothing fancy, paid $300 for it. Way more solid than a gun cabinet, but not nearly as solid as a Liberty or those other high end safes. It definitely does the job as I am not a nig...I live in a nice area of town and only have about $4k worth of firearms in it.
>>
>>30322506
I also have a stack on, which I bought since my closet if full of other shit and I live with other people who I would rather not get curious and play with my guns.

That said, the safe is just a glorified cabinet, and would instantly fail if anybody were to take a crowbar to it, even in the upgright position and bolted down. The only reason I didn't go any heavier duty was becuase I currently rent on the second floor. When I move, I plan on selling it (probably at a big lost too) and grabbing a cannon safe or something.
>>
>>30322506
>>30322645
Why not get a liberty safe? They're not too expensive and built pretty well.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.