[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Statement: Each platoon can now bring it's own CAS. At least
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: cas.jpg (42 KB, 607x382) Image search: [Google]
cas.jpg
42 KB, 607x382
Statement:
Each platoon can now bring it's own CAS. At least to take out single strongholds (machine-gun nests, sniper positions ande the like).

How idiotic or wise is my statement.?
>>
>>30319696
You'll find that man-portable UAV's have a very low payload, it could maybe drop a few grenades or some other explosives, but nothing significant.
The best thing about drones is their observational ability.
>>
>>30319696
>>
>>30319722
How about a downward facing claymore mine?
>>
>>30319722
(OP) I know. I am not talking about a replacement for Reapers, F-16s or the brrrt meme.

Small drones can carry enough explosives to hit relatively soft but deadly targets. And as You can se from >>30319733 they can also cook for You.
>>
>>30319696
>never heard of Switchblade
>>
>>30319813
(OP) I have now. Thank You. Anyone knows if these things are effective?
>>
>>30319749
You'd have to get pretty close to the enemy, the projectiles in the mine would lose velocity quite quickly.

>>30319794
I guess when you said "strongholds" it kinda threw me off. A man-portable drone could definitely carry enough to take out an exposed unarmored target or two, but that's about it.

Again, drones are most useful for observing enemy troop movement.
>>
>>30319722
When I went to the Raven course (UAV for observation) the trainers yalked about another version that was the same thing except with a payload of 1kg of C-4.
the idea being, you fly it into your target and command detonate it at the best possible time ie massed troops, HVT near by ect
>>
>>30319830
keep in mind they can glide silently fkr a pretty good distance
>>
>>30319696
Would it mayb b better to develop a small drone launched from a humvee turret mount that could glide over an area for hours a la SDB 2 until it got a strike order from the assigned platoon?
>>
>>30319830
They've gotten good reviews from actual users in Afghanistan. A software upgrade just rolled out that encrypts the datalink, enables network-based control for launching multiple Switchblades and controlling them over other UAVs acting as radio relays.
>>
>>30319849
(OP) Maybe, I am not pretending to know a lot about this subject, but that will of course not stop me from starting a thread about.

To a layman like me it seems useful to have something with a platoon to remove minor but dangerous dangerous targets and not having to rely on expensive assets that may or not may be available when You need it.
>>
>>30319890
(OP) Thank You.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.