[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Becoming an LEO
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 6
File: image.png (532 KB, 700x439) Image search: [Google]
image.png
532 KB, 700x439
What are the pros and cons of this? I know we just had an LEO thread, but I didn't think too much about it at the time.

Specifically CHP? It's either them, or my local PD, which is based just outside of LA.
>>
>>30304310

>CHP
>give out tickets all day
>your entire career just pisses off everyone

Yeah..fuck that. Be a real cop, not a ticket-writing pig.
>>
Pros: Authorituh. Mid tier salary.

Cons: You're a service employees, and your customers are all crackheads and winos.

You can't get invited to the really good parties.

Most people will avoid socializing with you.

You're a representative of the fascist state.
>>
You will forever resign yourself to the middle class.
>>
>>30304339
So you basically become a social outcast.

I'm a natural introvert so being an outcast doesn't really hurt, but it's still a negative. Damn.
>>
>>30304310
pros and cons will vary from each person. this day and age being a LEO is something you really want to do or else you wont make it. this thread like every leo thread, will go no where and evolve into people screaming about pigs.
>>
>>30304382
>So you basically become a social outcast.
this is not true.
>>
>>30304382
See, there's a double edged sword here.

Yes, some people will be skittish around law enforcement because everyone commits some petty crimes now and then.

But in your day to day life, talking to people will be the second most common thing you do, after driving around.

Actually, second might be paperwork.

Point is, you'll have to talk to people and project confidence.
>>
>>30304382
Yeah
Took police studies (thinking of becoming Alberta sheriff for comfy courthouse security gig), basically every one of my former cop professors all say the same thing. Once you're a cop you're a cop, everyone will see you as a cop at all times.
Shit ain't a job, it's basically your whole life.
>>
It's probably an interesting job if you're versatile with people
>>
I took Police Studies too. Then a guy I knew from school got hired, and as soon as he hit the street got arrested for excessive force on a prisoner.

Then another guy I knew real well started as a volunteer for a smaller city. He got arrested for shaking down hookers.

Then another guy I know went to jail for stealing from his department.

I was like hmm. This might not be for me.
>>
>>30304487
Where was this?
>>
>>30304310
Pros: retards can get in
Cons: retards can get in
>>
>>30304494
fantasy land
>>
>>30304382
>So you basically become a social outcast.

Being a cop requires you to be a good talker and communicator. Also you'll be dealing with a lot of felons and shitheads of society
>>
>inb4 PIGS AND BOOTLICKERS

really depends on where you are and what type of person you are
>pros
you get nation wide carry (Ive carried in NYC, felt so...so good), its "exciting" depending on your definition. Im not stuck in an office all day anymore and literally came close to jumping off the roof some days. Theres lots of room for advancement into various fields if you dont want to just be a beat cop. And you get the days where you actually help somebody and it feels good
>cons
easy to get out of shape or have health problems. Probably no more than any other job but this isnt one id want to be unhealthy in. You have to asnwer for other officers fuck ups even if its on the other side of the country, you deal with stuck up cunts with a 6th grade memory of the constitution who will try to school you with an iPhone shoved in your mouth, you deal with other degenerates of all society which can make you jaded. Some people will not feel comfortable with being friends with cops, some may even try to start shit with you ( a la the people I just mentioned) some argue the pay isnt great but thats any job

its definitely its own niche of a career. there are days where I wonder if I can do it and other days I couldnt imagine anything else. After the rookie year Ii felt the latter less and less
>>
>>30304329
Ive thought about being a state trooper
>better pay
>better uniforms
>better training
>can move anywhere in the state
I just really dont want to do highway work. whether its tickets or pulling somebody over on the highway by myself
>>
>>30304663
in my state they get paid the least amount but they do have some of the best uniforms in the nation.
>>
File: wtf.jpg (402 KB, 673x471) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
402 KB, 673x471
>>30304310
I applied to DC Metro. I live in Florida and FHP is shit pay and horrible duties i.e. write tickets and take accident reports all day. Out of all the places I've applied or am applying to, not one has been a Highway Patrol, no interest in doing highway heavy work which it mostly is. Writing tickets on I-5 I don't think would be my thing but good luck, OP. Most LEO application processes are a pain in the ass
>>
>>30304382
>I'm a natural introvert

I hope this isn't your coy way of saying "im an autistic shit who can't talk to people", because 9/10 of police work is knowing how to talk to people.
>>
>>30304382
Don't forget that your friends may or may not use you as a way to threaten people and/or to get away with illegal activities.

>I know a cop/deputy. He wouldn't care if I have some weed
>>
>>30304744
>DC Metro
i hope you are a african women who speaks russian
>>
>>30304663
bear in mind that regardless of your state, trooper positions are highly competitive and have stringent background requirements.
>>
>>30304766
Asian guy with a degree and some grad work do? willing to act like a fag to get the gig, they have a gay/lesbian/transgender unit.
>>
How hard is it to get a job as a sheriff's deputy? I'm national guard and looking for extra work.
>>
>>30304631
Damn. Solid advice man, thanks.

>>30304750
No, I can talk to people just fine. I'm a person who can have a good time at a party in front of a lot of people, or sitting at home watching movies and building models planes. I just prefer the latter.

>>30304744
Thanks man, I'll remember that. My main interest is medicine(specifically trauma) but EMT and Paramedic pay is shit, so I figured that some PD's and agencies have a Trauma team of medically trained cops, I could probably get on that. I like helping people, even if it's something small. I like my city and and it's pretty quiet here. Maybe I'll do that.

>>30304754
Yeah, I didn't think about that. I have one friend who goes to raves a lot and smokes weed and does Molly. Fuck, would that be harmful for me? They interview my friends right? Also, I'll just tell him to keep that shit out of my sight if I do become a cop. "See nothing, hear nothing".

>>30304766
I actually do speak a little Russian(Dad's side). Would that help getting hired somewhere?
>>
>>30304828
thats not bad. they are one of the worst departments hiring wise for common folk. new orleans is always looking for people cause they have a high turn over rate. any reason you want to leave FL?
>>
>>30304794
yeah, im not going to pass up a town LEO job if it opens up either but id prefer state
>>
>>30304845
depends on your county. look into becoming a reserve deputy as well.

>>30304847
i was making a joke because DC is notorious for not hiring whites in favor of colored people/bi lingual
>>
>>30304847
>Yeah, I didn't think about that. I have one friend who goes to raves a lot and smokes weed and does Molly. Fuck, would that be harmful for me? They interview my friends right? Also, I'll just tell him to keep that shit out of my sight if I do become a cop. "See nothing, hear nothing

Let them know that you're applying to be a LEO. If they're worth anything they'll be supportive and won't try to fuck you over.
>>
>>30304310
>any PD in the LA area
Go CHP unless you want to be a literal criminal
>>
>>30304882
Thanks brother. Reserves may be a better option.
>>
>>30304847
No problem, anon. If that's the case, maybe you can get hired somewhere and have them pay for your EMT/Paramedic course. City of Miami PD has a guy on thats an ex-PJ who's one of their SWAT medics.
>>30304861
>thats not bad. they are one of the worst departments hiring wise for common folk
I heard that.
> new orleans is always looking for people cause they have a high turn over rate
I think we've spoken before, anon. That's DC's problem so much so you sign a 3 yr contract
>any reason you want to leave Florida
I'm not totally against leaving, I'm applying to Miami-Dade before the end of the month when it ends but I'm not into the weather and want a change of location. Plus not originally from here so it's no biggie if I go to some other state/city.
>>
>>30304847
>They interview my friends right?
in my experience you fill out a detailed employment history and they speak to them, neighbors, family, and friends.
>>
>>30304329
>>30304897
well which is it?
>>
>>30304847
OK, I get your kind of introversion then. that's fine I guess.
>>
>>30304310

Do you really want to spend your days giving people tickets who really don't deserve them? Unless you're investigating an accident that occurred due to negligence, then a driver who is speeding or texting or whatever hasn't actually hurt anyone.
>>
>>30304329
Those tickets punish the real Assholes who don't know how to drive on the road. Fuck those fuckers
>>
>>30304310
Its the PD based outside of LA Huntington Beach?
>>
File: 1458090537756.jpg (229 KB, 627x720) Image search: [Google]
1458090537756.jpg
229 KB, 627x720
>>30304921
It's like there are a thing called risk factors and laws
Are you 16yo pothead? Because you sound like one, quit stating the obvious you moron.
>>
>>30304902
>I think we've spoken before, anon.
probably, i stick around until the >muh ebul pigs anons come around. applying to a lot of places is best imo, the more oral boards you do the better you will get at them. DC, Chicago, LA and places like it will have thousands of people applying for a small number of openings. desu i wouldnt even waste the time doing it, apply for smaller counties and cities surrounding major cities. After you get a few years in you can lateral to a larger department if thats something you want to do.

smaller departments are better to work for imo
>>
>>30304958

...So all laws are just?
>>
>>30304310
My buddy was a peace officer in the OC, but he was forced to quit after he reported another officer to IA for excessive force (they went to town on a robbery suspect with a nightstick, the perp spent over a week in the hospital). Even if you manage to keep out of that sort of thing, there's a ton of politics and you get paid less than $10 an hour to clean up after drug addicts.

>>30304956
Fuck that shit, unless you want to spend all night, everynight picking up drunken idiots along the pier.
>>
>>30304974
texting while driving is extremely dangerous. the majority of the time people who get speeding tickets were rude the second the officer got up to the window.
>>
>>30304974
No, but stating shit everybody knows and then giving a decent example along with a fucking huge risk factor for accidents makes you look stupid.
>>
>>30304974
on the one hand, you're giving the man a loaded question.

on the other, it's not an LEOs job to determine justice. that's a judge's role. the LEOs job is to bring people before a judge so that the justice of a law can be determined.

it's like you don't even common law or something.
>>
average pay unless you do really well and become top brass.
everyone will hate you.
you will hate everyone.
you will get out of shape.
you will work nights.
you are very likely to get divorced.
you are very likely to be shot, be it by trayvon, or on a lonely sad night by yourself (see: divorce).
you will second guess everything you do on the job and be extremely paranoid of fucking up. since if you do fuck up, you really only get one chance. one strike you're out.

on the plus side, you'll occassionally do something nice that makes you feel good, get to carry everywhere, free gear, and a cool car.
>>
>>30304913
>CHP
>Fill out tickets all day, erryday
>Feel like a glorified meter maid
>continually question why you didn't do something productive with your life

>LAPD/Local PD
>drug addicts, drug addict for as far as the eye can see
>your coworkers hate the public, you will too
>watch as your soul dissolves into a seething pit of hatred and despair
>>
>>30304956
No, I live in Whittier, So Whittier PD.

>>30304979
Fuck. I have a pretty high moral code, and can't stand shit like that. I understand protecting your brothers, but not to the point of covering up their shitty acts. Maybe LEO isn't for me. Maybe paramedicine in a wealthy city or something.
>>
>>30304310

>It's either them, or my local PD
Apply for both as well as a 2-7 more places, LEO hiring is extremely competitive these days and it would be a mistake to think that if you applied to CHP you're as good as hired.
>>
>>30305146
My uncle has been with them for 17 years. I'm not sure how well his recommendation could carry over but it's something.

But yeah I'll apply everywhere. I was thinking about Beverly Hills and in Ventura County too.
>>
>>30304960
>mfw you just listed 2/3 cities I applied to
After you mentioned N.O. last time I actually checked it out. Damn they're hiring like crazy and the starting pay isn't horrible. It's close to DC and like DC they don't require you live in the city so I'm thinking of applying there. Maybe get some experience and move onto federal.

> desu i wouldnt even waste the time doing it, apply for smaller counties and cities surrounding major cities.
I'm going to give it a shot just in case. I'm a minority with college so I have a better shot than some poor unlucky white guy named Frank Fitzpatrick or something

>smaller departments are better to work for imo
why do you say that?
>>
>>30305141
FF/EMTs make great money in WA. We pay emergency service men a lot of money. I know many FFs that clear 100k
>>
>>30305168
>Beverly Hills
>>
>>30304382
>>30304339
You know you fucks don't have to tell people you're a cop.
>>
>>30304921
That's the whole point anon. Stop them before they hurt someone. Arrest the speeder, ticket the guy not wearing a seat belt , and shoot the guy texting and driving while driving 15 under the limit
>>
>>30305168

A reference always helps but even still I wouldn't count on it and would hedge my bets.
>>
>>30305171
>Maybe get some experience and move onto federal.
will definetly need college but you already have some so thats good.

>why do you say that?
in large departments like DC/LA/Chicago you are going to be stuck as a beat cop for a while. It will be extremely hard to move into any specialties like K-9/Marine Unit/SWAT/Narcotics and so on. There will be more politics involved and that brings a bunch of shit with it.

A department for a city with ~100k people will bring more opportunities for advancement into specialty units compared to a city with million+. Smaller departments will have better moral as you will know everyone or close to everyone.
>>
>>30305109
>you are very likely to be shot,
Stats disagree.
>>
File: image.jpg (98 KB, 900x877) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
98 KB, 900x877
Does anything before your 18 matter on the background check? Like therapy for mild depression, pot use only in HS, ect...? Does ADHD matter if you don't necessarily need medication to function? Do they care about grades if you have a college degree?

Do scars from self harm in a not very noticeable place DW you instantly? Would that even come up? That's my greatest concern with applying because I know it's a DW from the military.

>tfw they are from when I was 13 and still effect my life
>>
>>30305248
This. Unless he holds an actual position at which point a reference isn't even needed
>>
>LEO Thread
cool, I guess I'll ask a couple questions

Anyone familiar with the Dallas Area Rapid Transit Police Department? Dunno why, but for some reason they sent recruiters all the way from Dallas Texas to many east coast college campuses (such as New York). My guess is that they are in desperate need of candidates and they said they are hiring now

How good is it to work there? (I'm probably not going to be a police officer, but it's nice to have a backup plan if all else fails)
>>
>>30305282
>Does anything before your 18 matter on the background check?
yes

>Like therapy for mild depression, pot use only in HS, ect...?
Some departments will ask "have you used any illegal substances in the past 3 years" and some will ask "have you used any illegal substances in the past and when was the last time". it all depends on the department, each department will have a list of disqualifies for drug use/criminal background/driving record

>Do scars from self harm in a not very noticeable place DW you instantly?
it will come up on your psych eval and possibly dq you
>>
>>30305282
They do give you a physical and ask questions while your balls are strapped to a lie detector
>>
>>30305109
>you are very likely to be shot, be it by trayvon, or on a lonely sad night by yourself (see: divorce).

damn anon, that's too close to home
>>
>>30305324
>>30305314

So even if it was over 10 years ago it's possible it's a DQ? Cause that's the only thing I can think of that would prevent me from doing any LE job. The other stuff it sounds like depends on the dept. and won't instantly DQ me.
>>
>>30304310
pros: youre above the law, can carry concealed regardless of cuck state, can get away with any illegal guns in your possession

cons: you gotta wrestle with shit covered homeless people, get thrown up on by drunk niggers, and get shot at occasionally
>>
>>30305109
> one strike and you're out

They toss cops on administrative leave all the time and they're back and at it in a month for fuck ups
>>
>>30305350
it will depend on the department. psych evals are no joke. you can call the department recruiter and ask for go to one of the few LEO forums and find your state sub and ask for your specific area
>>
>>30305370
>deliberately asking a recruiter about self-harm scars while telling him I'm thinking of applying in the same breath

Sounds like excellent advice on how to not even be considered.
>>
>>30304310
Future sheriff reporting.
>Retirement is GOAT
>You get a good base salary
>Offduty pay is about double salary (Your paid to stand at a grocery store or some easy chit)
>OT is 2.5x salary
>Full benefits
>Chances for SWAT
>Chances for federal LE
>>
>>30305350
Time is not a factor for the mental shit. That's a judgement of character they're giving you.

The medical shit is a literal grey area and if they need the man power bad enough then they will overlook the easier shit as long as it can be treated even if you don't have it now they want to know should it ever show back up that they can just put you on pills. The cutting shit is also a judgement of character and will probably DQ you on the spot and they won't bother even getting to the mental shit
>>
>>30305386

Why even attempt to hide it? They will be found and reported during the medical exam.
>>
>>30305386
m8 its going to come up anyways might as well ask in the beginning instead of them finding out during the eval. you dont even need to give all your info just tell em you have a question about a possible dq. use your brain
>>
>>30304310
I get sworn on the 24th and head off to the academy on the 25th. 24yo starting off at 57k

In excited. Plus, department lets me carry whatever I want as long as I qualify.
>>
>>30305413
Having it come up during the medical exam vs. telling someone before even applying is a bit different.

>>30305398
So basically only a department that takes into account time and other character judgements will look at me. Anybody know if the Mayberry Police are hiring?
>>
>>30305428
congrats. how long is your academy?
>>
>>30305249
That's very true. 3 years at the earliest in DC before you even get a chance to get a look at going to a unit or taking the promotional exam. I'm just not sure a smaller agency would be my fit. Wouldn't a bigger city like NO or DC more exposure to work thus applying to a fed position it may help all the experience
>>
>>30305440
>medical exam vs. telling someone before even applying is a bit different.
do you have any idea on how long the hiring process can be? them finding out at the end is not going to do you any good
>>
>>30305440
>Having it come up during the medical exam vs. telling someone before even applying is a bit different.
LITERALLY NO. The only difference is you'll find out if you are or aren't DQ'd at the start or 3/4ths of the way through
>>
>>30305394
did you/will you have to start work in the prisons?
>>
>>30305440
Yeah, don't tell anyone shit. If they can't find it then it's their fault. Your doctor is required by law to keep your record on hand for 7 years and then he can trash it. So if whatever it was stopped 8 years ago then you're fine
>>
>>30305282
Im >>30305428

I admitted to Buying drugs, using drugs, and selling drugs when I was 16. Its been about 8-9 years since then. I was honest and beat the poly, even told the investigator about it. They were much more worried about if I was an alcoholic rather than a dumb kid peddling weed.

And yeah, I had a record. Got that shit expunged but was still honest about it. Biggest point im trying to make is just be honest throughout the process, but never mention your medical history or therapy - Its illegal for them to ask about that anyways, other than if youve been admitted for being crazy, but still... fuck em.

Also the poly is a fucking joke...
>>
>>30305446
>Wouldn't a bigger city like NO or DC more exposure to work thus applying to a fed position it may help all the experience

being in a large department like DC, you will be stuck in the same area all the time dealing with the same people over and over again.

when i say small department i dont mean some small town with a few deputies. i may be a bit skewed tho as the largest city in my state is only 600k people. in a smaller department you can patrol the whole city and experience new shit every day

>>30305479
one of the last steps of the hiring process is a medical exam by a dr of their choosing. they will know or find out everything
>>
>>30305441
Only 3 months
>>
>>30305282
>Do scars from self harm in a not very noticeable place DW you instantly?
You mean scars from that time you pissed off the neighbor's Siamese, right, anon?
>>
>>30305479
So what your telling me is get a tattoo and hide that shit and deny deny deny.

>>30305460
And your telling me absolutely do not do that and just ask outright if it's a DQ or not.

And nobody actually knows the answer I originally asked which is "will it DQ me?"
>>
>>30305507
They are from the same boating accident where I lost all those guns a
few years back.
>>
>>30305509

>And nobody actually knows the answer I originally asked which is "will it DQ me?"
The only way to know this is to know what department you're applying to. It's not like there's a uniform policy used by ever department in the country.
>>
>>30305499
not to long

>>30305509
>deny deny deny.
translation: lie lie lie. a solid way to get DQ

>"will it DQ me?"
how many times do we need to say it depends on the department?
>>
>>30305498
But there is no way in hell records exist past 7 years of any prior issues. The stuff that is still there is still there but I've gotten away with worse because the doctor I've been sent to isn't looking for a specific problem and focusing 100% of his tools on it. Me mum was a nurse. Records don't last over 7 years if you haven't seen the patient since then.
>>
>>30305282
>>30305428
>>30305489

I also have ADHD Primarily Inattentive and take meds. Then again, I was an honor student and graduate with three college degrees and went to grad school
>>
>>30305554
you have scars yes? they will see
>>
>>30305509
If you have to lie to get in you don't belong, they will find out. It's not like you're the first person to lie about self harm or some other shit, it's all going to come out anyway.
>>
>>30305551

Ok. Hypothetically if the doctor doesn't catch it due to the location. Then it won't come up on a polygraph and is a non-issue correct?

Does it make a difference if the cuts were sexual in nature?
>>
>>30305173
Damn. I will def look into that. Thanks friend
>>
>>30305595
I wasn't interested in lying about it. Just how likely it is to be caught if they don't bring specifically bring it up.

>but lying by omission is still lying

Potato Po-tat-oh
>>
>>30305603
>Does it make a difference if the cuts were sexual in nature?
Yeah, sexual self-harm is a guaranteed DQ. I think the real question is will any department take you? Fuck, I don't even think New Orleans would take you.
>>
Anyone know anything about becoming SWAT? I know that probably sounds like some retard fantasy but I was interested in it. How many years would it take in LE? 3?

My city has a dedicated SWAT team, not like other cities where it's just volunteer cops who do day to day law enforcement and do SWAT when needed.
>>
>>30305489
I've only done molly(ecstasy) once when I was at a rave.

Weed about a handful of times. No other violations, not even a parking ticket. I should just be honest?
>>
>>30305627
>tfw transgendered folks are DQ'd from LE
>tfw some dept. is gonna get sued by and forced to except trannies
>tfw have no face
>>
>>30305603
generally it goes poly-psych-medical exam with oral boards in between. it will come up and it will depend on the department on what happens after. by your actions here tho im going to guess you wont make it past the poly or first oral board.

>>30305604
it is extremelly hard to get into a ff house here in WA.
>>
>>30305634
>I should just be honest?
yes. lying will get you DQ 100% of the time.

>>30305646
extremely*
>>
>>30305630

Depends on department. Usually its, apply, get the job, patrol for 3-5 years, SWAT puts out an opening for interested applicants, you apply along with other interested officers who also meet the requirements, you are chosen by the SWAT team's board/commander.
>>
>>30305634
I think the rule of thumb is no weed within 5 years, no hard drugs within 10. I was honest and I got in.. but it depends upon the department I think. Its always best to be honest... but if youve done it recently then maybe wait a few year and mature a bit (no offense) to show departments later down the road that you can stay clean. Dont keep from applying though.. someone may pick you up
>>
>>30305590
I stated scars are still scars anon. Sorry in my lack of clarity. ADHD, depression, and shit that needed to be evaluated way back when and never since was my focus. I can't even name the law that requires holding patient records for 7 years, I've just been in the situation and learned from my mother why the doctor was taking so long getting my records and he confirmed what she told me later on that " whatever my childhood issue was" the office he contacted didn't have any records of it on file.

My issue was severe childhood asthma. I knew to not bring it up and I've been clear since.
>>
>>30304828
And you call us eurofags. This shit is unheard of even in Sweden
>>
>>30305689
im not even talking about your records m8. that shit will come up in the psych eval
>>
File: 1409375428594.jpg (57 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1409375428594.jpg
57 KB, 500x500
>>30305646
I would most likely go EMS. Just a regular paramedic or flight medic gig would be cool.

>>30305661
Will do.

>>30305680
No yeah I get you. I was peer pressured into rolling at that rave, and I've come a long way since then. Like I said, I'm a natural introvert. I stay at home. I don't do drugs, don't drink(I hate the taste, call me a bitch whatever) and I never get into trouble or anything like that.

I'm really into zen and being really peaceful and stoic now. Philosophy and meditation has taught me a lot. My daily life is meditate, go to work(Security guard) come home, eat, go to the gym, eat again, watch a movie/play vidya, then eat again and go to sleep.
>>
>>30305738
Well, if you do decide to hit up the PD for a job, you better get soe more fucking hobbies and participate in community work - they're big on that shit. Whenever they ask you why you wanna be a cop, always to improve and serve the community. It's good to have a kind demeanor, but also know it's necessary to go from 0-100 in a split second.
>>
I was thinking about becoming a deputy in Michigan, but I may or may not have close ties with marijuana smokers.
Do I need to do anything about it if I became a deputy? Would it be easy to get away with doing it myself?
>>
>>30305791
Yeah bro, cops always smoke weed. Just ask apolice Sargeantbefore you apply if theyre lax on that kind of thing.
>>
>>30305498
I'll look into that. I may apply to my old county that I lived in down south Florida. It's a large Sheriffs office but isn't a large city size. I think 200 or less sworn.
>>
>>30305791
>Do I need to do anything about it if I became a deputy?
You shouldn't be hanging out near them while they are smoking or under the influence. When your investigator comes around and starts interview your social circle and deduces you hang out with stoners you're done.
>Would it be easy to get away with doing it myself?
No. Applying? UA. Any serious incident such as a shooting or crash? UA. The Chief just feels like it? UA. You will constantly be tested for drugs and alcohol as a cop.
>>
>>30304310
Law enforcement is a bummer of a job. If you're looking to be a righteous person (no hyperbole) it's simply not the career path to take. You will be inundated with the US vs THEM mindset that naturally comes from dealing with the dregs of society and being frustrated there's damn little you can actually do to change anything. I don't appreciate the policies and methods that modern police forces seem to take, but I do respect the fortitude of men who choose to place themselves in the middle of the shitstorm. Look elsewhere for a satisfying job OP
>>
>>30305772
I was kind of practicing what I would say if they asked me something like that. I'm 21, so that seems kind of relevant.

"Well, I am very big on honor and integrity. I come from a military family and have been constantly drilled in doing the right thing and protecting those who cannot protect themselves. Civic responsibility and duty to one's community and country is something lost in my generation, and that has to do with several factors. But that's a story for another time.I like to think that there are still many like myself, but there really isn't anymore. It pains me that there are not, but it makes it all the more important for those with this mindset to step forward and serve their community."

That's decent right? Is it cringey? I was just trying to think of if I was a police chief, what would I want to hear.
>>
>>30305971
Thanks man.
>>
>>30306152
i think thats p good. chief interview is one of the last steps, at least here. first rounds of oral boards will be brass and senior officers
>>
>>30305187

The dorky haircut, weird work hours, and insistence on calling people "individuals" and cars "vehicles" gives it away though.
>>
>>30304847
After you do your year in with CHP, if you have a paramedic you can get assigned to air assets. CHP helos all carry a paramedic/crew chief.
>>
>>30306335
>tfw all my friends think I'm unemployed because I've shaved my head since middle school and work nights
Feels kind of annoying to be honest.
>>
>>30305661
>yes. lying will get you DQ 100% of the time.

You put too much stock in your precious polygraph mate. I have lied about specific stuff on job applications before, its never been a problem. Not saying it cant bite you in the ass, but you're saying it like lying is pointless because it'll DQ you for sure. It wont. Telling them you used to be a heroin addict or sexual self harmer or whatever definitely WILL. If it's something you really want to do, lying is your only option really.. What do you have to lose? You lie, if you succeed it was worth it, if you fail, you wouldn't have got in anyway.

I know someone who got a job on an oil rig by putting on his resume that he had 10 years experience working on rigs in the North Sea. It was total bullshit, didn't stop him landing the job and getting a foot in the door for that career.
>>
>>30306693
I don't put any stock in the poly, I put a lot of stock in the background investigator. Usually a detective with 15-20 years in whose whole job is to try and drop kick your packet in the trash as hard as he can.
>>
what kinda pt requirements are there for applying to police?
>>
Aspiring cop here
25 will be getting my masters degree in december.
Will I get passed over for being too educated? Serious question.

I went ahead with grad school because I got accepted and it was free. Currently work private security.
>>
>>30304921
>driver who is speeding or texting or whatever hasn't actually hurt anyone.
jesus fucking christ, im glad idiots like you get pulled over. I can only home youre one of those sovereign citizens that tries to put up a fight and then gets your ass kicked
>>
>>30304974
who dont own the road asshole, there are other people who are driving responsibly and dont need to get into an accident because you never learned how
>>
>>30304310
Pros:
>You get to have cool toys.
>At some point on the job, you may get to help someone, which is nice.

Cons:
>There are people who will automatically hate you and try to make your job harder
>It'll probably be a thankless job
>You'll have to arrest someone at some point in time
>Someone may try to hurt or kill you at some point in time.
>>
>>30308130
it will depend on your state, it will be very easy to find out via google.

>>30308204
no you will not get passed over. degrees are required for specialty units in most departments and it is a requirement for federal leo work
>>
>>30308204
Masters is becoming the new BA. When I started all I had was an AA. That was ten years ago. I've trained three new officers who all had Masters Degrees in the past 7 months. It will help you if you want to get promoted to an admin spot or go federal.
Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.