[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AR-15
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: helo.jpg (40 KB, 657x527) Image search: [Google]
helo.jpg
40 KB, 657x527
/diy/ here. I'd like to buy an AR-15 before a ban. What should I get, /k/?
>>
>>30302168
You should do it yourself.
>>
File: helo2.jpg (64 KB, 657x527) Image search: [Google]
helo2.jpg
64 KB, 657x527
>>30302180
I don't care to fuck around with it, I just want a finished gun.

Oh, also I have a pretty good connection with Knights Armament. Is that a good brand for longguns?
>>
>>30302192
Yes they make superb rifles, but a very good AR out of the box is the Colt 6920. Can't go wrong
>>
>>30302192
Get a palmetto state armoury complete lower and a bcm mid length 16 inch complete upper and a pair of sights for best bang for your buck.
>>
Wait for PSA 4th of July sale. You just missed $430 shipped chrome lined rifles kits. I almost grabbed one =(

Anywho, wait for a decent kit with free shipping for the cheapest deal. They don't really have anything great in stock right now.
>>
>>30302192

Knights Armament is great, if you can get a good deal on a rifle from them I'd jump on it.
>>
>>30302251
Thank you. I'll look at the Knights and Colts. Maybe get one of each. The Colt seems to be under a grand, which is more reasonable than I thought.

>>30302278
Awesome. I'll buy one of those for sure then. From reading around they seemed to have good reviews. It's also a Florida company (which is where I'm from) so feels good to support them.

Any specific model you recommend?

>>30302276
Wow, that is cheap. I was actually considering buying some lowers just to stock them in case there is a ban.

>>30302275
I'll look into that, thank you.
>>
Are Noveske AR's good?
>>
>>30302306
Great but not worth the price
>>
>>30302298
> buying some lowers
Good, they will more than likely be worth there weight in gold off any anti legislation gets passed federally. At worst you will be able to build what ever you like having a pre ban firearm
>>
File: 084.png (102 KB, 300x256) Image search: [Google]
084.png
102 KB, 300x256
>>30302192
>from a board literally about building things
>doesnt want to save money by building what is basically the gun version of legos
>>
>>30302168
>>30302192
may i ask about your KAC connection? Have a buddy that can get you one in stock ? or just a good monetary deal?
>>
I've heard good stuff about Lewis machine tools as well as Daniel Defense
>>
>>30302392
Both are top tier rifle makers but can be costly
>>
>>30302298
With the kits you need a stripped lower of course. I'd reckon that might be harder to find right now. Anyways, I highly recommend the kit route. It's kind of like making a model. You get all the parts neatly set up and it's rewarding when done.
>>
>>30302356
Great. Who makes good lowers? Do all the gun companies make them? Like I could buy some Colt and Knight lowers?

>>30302361
I'm doing both. I want to buy one or two finished ones and then some lowers to maybe build off in the future. But yeah, it's not particularly interesting to build would just be a money saving thing and I'd rather have a package put together by someone smarter than me on guns since I'm a novice - then can tinker on the side with lowers if I want.

>>30302374
Yeah I know a guy who buys a shitload of them and so I can get them at a discount.

>>30302392
Awesome, I'll add that to my list.
>>
>>30302433
Think they'll actually ban AR-15s now? It seems like there is a scare after every shooting, but, I tend to believe this one is real and we're going to see some changes. Especially with Hillary the front runner for office.
>>
>>30302434
Any halfway competent manufacture makes good lowers
Anderson mandating make cheap ones but can be a gamble on being out of spec. I'm building a rifle now and i choose to pay a little more for a aero precision lower.
There are two types of lowers
Forged
Billet
Forged are cheaper and stronger but don't look as nice and most come with less features to have a lower cost
Billet are machined from a slab of aluminum and if bought by a good factory have no signs of machining, can have desirable features like ambi mag release and bolt release. They are slightly weaker, and cost considerably more depending on design and features.
There are also 80% lowers that require no ffl transfers but you have to mill the last 20% for the finished product, but there is no record of you buying it for the atf to find out meaning if the govt goes full confiscation you can hide it and the Fed's would be none the wiser.
>>
>>30302585
Anderson manufacturing*
>>
>>30302585
Thank you. How hard is to mill the last 20%? My shop has some CNC mills...
>>
>>30302611
Not too hard I wouldn't imagine. They make jigs so you can pretty much use a drill press.
Check out
http://www.80percentarms.com

There should be a few vids on YouTube on doing it.
You can also make your own ak if you wanted to go down that route. Check out akbuilders.com for shit you need. For help doing that I would go to the ak general or /akg/ and get flandre or chimps for in-depth help. Also usmcdoc or something like that has vids on YouTube. It requires more tools like a press and shit but looks fun.
>>
>>30302699
Thank you, that looks very simple.

I'm surprised there is an AK general here and no AR general? I was expecting to find an AR General with a sticky for some reason...
>>
>>30302699
>>30302730
..I should add, either way, you guys have been super helpful and I really appreciate it.
>>
>>30302730
There is a arg
Both generals are cancerous and only good for asking a few quick questions as it's tripfag central
>>
>>30302750
No problem op, anytime.
>>
>>30302319
How about just the barrels?
>>
>>30302809
Little better but I'd honestly recommend ar performance barrels as better bang fit buck without getting a bad barrel. Krieger and shilen and such are the best for accuracy but I wouldn't recommend them unless you only plan to shoot hi buck match ammo as stainless barrel last less longer than child hammer forge do. Noveske is good if you want a really reliable spr barrel (18 inch) as there gas port is between mid length and rifle length for an optimum dwell time. And I believe they are the only manufacturer that make it to that spec.
>>
>>30302192
Not very /diy/ of you
>>
>>30302168
a 5-pack of 80% lowers from tacticalmachining dot com
>>
File: thumbs up.jpg (70 KB, 720x644) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up.jpg
70 KB, 720x644
>on /k/
>doesnt know ar threads
>>
1. there won't be a ban.
2. If there was a chance of one, there's no guarantee you'd get to keep the gun you buy/build now.
3. there won't be a ban.

Now start saving your nickles and build one come February when the Orlando/elections panic dies down and prices go back to normal.
>>
>>30302809
Other companies do it better for less
>>
>>30303013

He wanted advice, not to be called a poorfag for not buying a $300 FCG or get into a 100 reply debate over the merits of Keymod vs. M-Lok

/arg/ is cancer.
>>
File: REAMER6.png (69 KB, 568x646) Image search: [Google]
REAMER6.png
69 KB, 568x646
>>30302957
Noveske also has their own chamber spec, it's supposed to be more reliable and still pretty accurate. Less stuck cases.
>>
>>30303061
Sadly I can't find measurements for it anywhere. It's pretty proprietary so we have to go with what Noveske claims.
>>
>>30303015
Why do you think there won't be a ban? Seems pretty serious now.
>>
>>30303061
Wylde is all you need
>>
File: Photo Jun 16, 11 23 24 PM.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
Photo Jun 16, 11 23 24 PM.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>30302298
>>30302275
The Palmetto I just got today. Awesome looking rifle but I haven't ran any rounds through it yet
>>
>>30302168
cant go wrong with a smith and wesson m&p15
saw one at my lgs for 700 but you can find them cheaper
if you are willing to spend a little extra money get the FN15 seen them go online for 900 to 1100
>>
>>30302457
the media is shilling harder than ever but if they can't pass a ban with a democratic senate after sandy hook then we are fine.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.