[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cleaning BCG in the sink?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
what if you washed it like a dish and then when youre done, dry it out and dip it in clp?
>>
>will my piece of metal that is regularly exposed to explosions get damaged if I wash it in the sink?

comeonnow.jpg
>>
File: 1433903406661.gif (551 KB, 245x220) Image search: [Google]
1433903406661.gif
551 KB, 245x220
>>30245400
>explosions and moisture are the same thing

quit acting like a retard
>>
>>30245400
I think he means will it rust.
>>
File: 81hCk3587uL._SL1500_.jpg (110 KB, 535x1500) Image search: [Google]
81hCk3587uL._SL1500_.jpg
110 KB, 535x1500
>>30243249
There's really no reason to use water and dish soap like a dumbass. Yes, carbon steel can rust when exposed to moisture. You can clean it LIKE you clean dishes using gun cleaning solutions. Get yourself a bottle of pic related, soak down the gun really well in a bowl or other sort of basin, let it sit for a few minutes, wash it off with more of this stuff, brush, wipe away the soot, and rinse with acetone if you like.
>>
>>30243249
use a $20 harbor freight ultrasonic cleaner full of hoppes
>>
>>30245414
>will my chunk of metal rust if i clean it and soak it in rust-preventative chemical

>>30245410
>being soapy wet for 10 min then slathered in a hydrophobic lube is the same thing as extended moisture exposure

comeonmeow.png
>>
>>30245442
Not OP but related questions:

1) Does Hoppes (or CLP/any similar potent gun cleaner) damage cheap machines like that? I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to ultrasonic cleaners but it seems like a potent chemical like gun cleaner could damage the internals?

2) How much cleaner goes in the machine, and do you change it out every time you use it? I've heard ultrasonic cleaners work really well but if you have to fill it with $20 worth of cleaner every time you use it, it seems like it's not very cost effective.
>>
>>30245442
>Harbor freight electronics with built-in heater
>Fill it with flammable liquid
What could possibly go wrong?

Don't get me wrong, I like the Harbor Freight ultrasonics - I have the bigger 2.5l unit, it's identical to Hornady's at half the price.

>>30245983
I use Lyman Turbosonic. A bottle is 20 bucks and is good for probably 10 batches of solution, each of which will do half a dozen guns or more.

I cleaned 6 handguns in the last batch, probably close to a thousand round's worth of fouling from dirty, nasty cheap ammo, and threw in my AR15 BCG in for good measure afterwards.
I usually change the solution once it's so murky that I can't see the gun in it anymore.

iirc Lyman Turbosonic shouldn't be used on aluminum since it can eat anodizing. No problems with anything else - I don't have any alloy guns small enough to cram in there, so I don't know first-hand. I know others use a vinegar and/or soap solution.

Just know that guns come out bone-dry and must be lubricated thoroughly afterwards - including nooks and crannies you can't get into. I like Hornady One Shot - it's very viscous and creeps into every nook, and leaves behind a dry lube film when it dries - it doesn't gum up the works like oil can. Virtually impossible to over-apply it.
>>
>>30245434
>No reason to use water like a dumbass

>posts water based cleaner
>>
>>30243249
This is perfectly acceptable.
PROTIP: use cheap baby wipes for cleaning. Its fast, easy, and dries quick.
>>
>>30243249
How dirty is your bcg? I can shoot like 300-500 rounds and still wipe it clean with a rag.
>>
>>30243249
"Hot, soapy water" is a longtime standard for cleaning black powder fouling from firearms and cases.

Follow up with a boiling water rinse, then dry patching and oiling while still hot.
>>
File: cryptic.jpg (275 KB, 1280x700) Image search: [Google]
cryptic.jpg
275 KB, 1280x700
>>30243249
buy a cryptic bcg and you wont need to clean it in a sink
>>
>>30243249
I do the same thing with my Glock when it gets really dirty and it works just fine. I even use dish soap because it's a decent degreaser. Just be sure to dry it properly then oil it up
>>
>>30249184

Pretty.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.