[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Kind of a noob question but why did bolt actions overtake lever
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: 1444073146643.jpg (144 KB, 572x303) Image search: [Google]
1444073146643.jpg
144 KB, 572x303
Kind of a noob question but why did bolt actions overtake lever actions when lever actions seem simpler and can shoot faster?

Is it a caliber thing?
>>
>>30222913
Bolt actions are stronger, simpler, easier to maintain, and most can take pointed bullets, while most levers need flat point bullets
>>
>>30222931
That's not true though.

Winchester 1895.
>>
>>30222913

Larger cartridges, simpler and more rugged actions, and easier to use while prone, which is important for soldiers who usually spend most of their time lying in the dirt
>>
>>30222913
Almost entirely due to stronger actions and being easier to cycle while probe. The pointed bullet thing is fuddlore
>>
>>30222951
I said most, retard. I knew there would be someone like you who couldn't read. There is also the Browning BLR
>>
In addition to what's been said, bolt actions can be reloaded with stripper clips, whereas lever guns have to be 1 at a time.
>>
File: 1 - GGOUUy2.jpg (4 MB, 4510x6534) Image search: [Google]
1 - GGOUUy2.jpg
4 MB, 4510x6534
on pointed bullets in lever actions
>>
>>30222913
pointed boolits, although in WW1 Quebec had some guys armed with Savage lever actions and in WW2 we had a reserve group with winchester 30-30s
>>
>>30222983
You can reload levers with clips as long as they have box magazines
>>
>>30222983
1895 is the exception well the russian variant atleast
>>
Could you make a levergun in 8mm lebel? the lebel rifle had a tube mag
>>
>>30222983
Not all lever guns have to be reloaded one at a time, look at the Winchester 1895 Russian made to take mosin stripper clips.
>>
File: 2 - jEn5EuQ.jpg (3 MB, 2000x2751) Image search: [Google]
2 - jEn5EuQ.jpg
3 MB, 2000x2751
>>
File: 3 - FUxIoMo.jpg (3 MB, 2000x2900) Image search: [Google]
3 - FUxIoMo.jpg
3 MB, 2000x2900
>>
>>30222913
More reliable and simpler, larger cartridges, eliminates the worry of soldiers unloading the entire gun, can be easily loaded with strippers and magazines compare to most levers, can lay prone and still stay on target while working the action, etc.
>>
>>30222913
Ease of manufacturing and familiar manual of arms from the original single shot rifles of the latter 19th century.
>>
File: 4 - m7aNAds.jpg (3 MB, 2000x2725) Image search: [Google]
4 - m7aNAds.jpg
3 MB, 2000x2725
>>
>>30222951
1 lever vs dozens and dozens of bolt actions
also they had greater range and as the other guy said more durable, simpler and they were easier to reload and operate while prone

simply put they were better so they won
>>
>>30222951
the 1895 also post-dates the first repeating bolt gun, and compared to the dainty lever guns that were contemporary with early bolt repeaters (e.g. vetterli), it's an over-engineered solid block of iron.

Your miserably stupid statement is akin to answering the question of "why are mobile processors slower than desktop processors" with "well, my iPhone runs faster than a pentium III".
>>
>>30223143
It's a proper contemporary of all the pre-WW1 small bore smokeless rifles. The Mauser family, the Mannlicher rifles, the Mosin series, the original Enfields, the Krags. The 1895 is a proper contemporary to those designs.

Additionally, in that time frame (pre-WW1) much of the theory on infantry tactics was still based on firing in line formations (At least among the Russians, French, Germans, and Austrians). It basically boils down to making manufacturing and training easier, since many of the black powder designs could be reconfigured relatively easily to be single shot rifles, or the production lines updated with relative ease.
>>
>>30223097
>simply put they were better so they won
Better doesn't always win. Remember Betamax?
>>
>>30223022
>I didn't bother trying a full-metal-jacket bullet of any type. The results with the jacketed spitzer bullet indicate that a pointed FMJ bullet would have probably fired the primer on the first whack. And who would be dumb enough to load such bullets in a tubular magazine, anyway?

today i learned that if you move the goalposts far enough you can substantiate any claim
>>
>>30222931
>can take pointed bullets

spitzers didn't exist until 1898. Even 7.62x54R began it's life as a round-nose bullet.
>>
I always thought it was because you can work the bolt while in the prone, and with lever guns you have to shift the gun to the side. But I'm retarded so whatever
>>
>>30222913

Because the military thought that shooting while prone was the future of warfare since it made you a much smaller target than shooting while standing or crouched.

Also bolt actions are mechanically more simple.
>>
>>30222913
when the choice was relevant, lever guns were more expensive to produce and basically fired, at best, strong pistol loads; at worst, ghetto ass rimfire loads that make .25 ACP look strong.

A dreyse needle gun, on the other hand, could wreck someone with a .61 caliber bullet from 600m away, was cheaper, and less prone to failure.
>>
>>30223574
Dreyse was completely obsolete when leverguns were around your about 20 years too early
>>
>>30222931
Actually most levers can use spitzers all day long. This shit has been tested.

>>30222951
Notice how he said "most" and not "all".
You can also add the Browning BLR and Henry Long Ranger to the list though.
>>
>>30223406
Funny you should say that considering he also stated that he had to shim the rounds to make primer contact, then proceeded to hit the rifle with a mallet.

You would have to drop the rifle from a pretty decent height and it would likely have to be a Rimless straight wall cartridge even contact the primer.
>>
>>30223521
You don't. Try it out sometime. If you're shouldering the rifles and supporting yourself all you have to do is move your wrist. It clears the ground fine unless you're low as fuck
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.