[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the fuck does a shotgun suppressor work, and why did it take
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: shotgun silencer.jpg (62 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
shotgun silencer.jpg
62 KB, 1280x720
How the fuck does a shotgun suppressor work, and why did it take so long for them to be invented?
>>
They didn't take so long to be invented

Your dumb ass just didn't know about them.
>>
The tiny BB's get sucked into the baffles. Soon the entire suppressor is full and you have to dump it out.
>>
>>30209924
>I don't know what slugs are.
>>
>>30209932
>didn't take so long to be invented
>first available in 2015
>>
>>30209948

It's not limited to slugs.
>>
>>30209952
>first available in 2015
u wot m8
>>
This thread is fucking aces so far, keep it up
>>
works more or less like any other suprressor, they were invented balls long ago, but nobody made them commerically because the NFA regs make the market tiny so it isn't a lucrative buisiness to get into.

Also they're heavy as fuck.
>>
>>30209952
>Shotgun suppressors were first invented in 2015

Well you rested your own case moron
>>
This is almost as entertaining as the magnet thread.
>>
>>30209924

All suppressors work the same way- there is an expansion chamber that allows combustion gasses to leave the barrel over time rather than all at once.

Sound is pressure waves in air. The greater the pressure, the louder the sound. The goal of a silencer is to reduce the maximum pressure released from the weapon when fired.

Normally the combustion gasses escape the barrel instantaneously when the bullet leaves the barrel (barring some odd effects like gas escaping through the breach). Since all this energy is released at once the maximum pressure spike is very large.

A silencer allows the combustion gasses to escape over time, spreading out the energy release.

The only novel problem in constructing a shotgun silencer versus a pistol or rifle silencer is the nature of the ammunition. Normal bullets are sized so that they expand slightly upon being fired and will create an airtight seal in the barrel, so that all of the combustion gasses are locked behind the bullet until it exits the barrel. The normal solution here is the inclusion of some kind of wadding that sits between the combustion chamber and the shotgun shot. The shotgun silencer will only work well if the wadding is capable of creating a good seal and preventing the leakage of gasses until the shot passes out of the barrel entirely.

I don't know how effective normal shotgun wadding is at creating a good seal. You might need to experiment with different kinds of wadding or extra wadding in order to fully contain the combustion gasses and make the best use of the silencer.
>>
>>30209924

It politely tells the shells to be quiet
>>
>>30209924
>mfw i made a joke about a shotgun suppressor on /k/ a few years back and some /k/unt sperged out about how stupid an idea it was
>mfw they're actually a well known thing now
>mfw no face
>>
>>30210912
Listen I'm no firearms expert, but this guy is on the right track.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.