[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Effective range
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6
File: M16A4.jpg (28 KB, 845x245) Image search: [Google]
M16A4.jpg
28 KB, 845x245
What do you guys think about the effective range of weapons? Does the length of a weapon truly increase it, as in the case between M16 and M4, or do you think this is just another "meme" like I've heard the stopping power of .45 or reliability of Kalashnikov to be?
>>
>>30188345
The difference in barrel length increases velocity, which leads to higher effective ranges for penetration and fragmentation. Longer barrel length also increases sight radius if using iron sights, which increases the practical effective range.

These differences are not usually fully taken advantage of by line troops, but they do exist.
>>
>>30188345
Barrel length is basic physics.
99% of what you've heard is true.
6" barrel on a handgun is more accurate than a 3"
16" barrel on an ar is another 100 yards vs a 14.5"
>>
File: please-remove-the-dead-whore.jpg (67 KB, 500x652) Image search: [Google]
please-remove-the-dead-whore.jpg
67 KB, 500x652
>>30188363
Barrel length has nothing to do with accuracy
sight radius of iron sights does.
>>
>>30188362
>>30188363

Thanks for giving me the specifics. I honestly thought that some people would see it as a meme
>>
Doesn't barrel length also stabilize the trajectory of a bullet (by having it travel in a straight path longer) or is that an irrelevant factor between most barrel lengths.
>>
>>30188363
Once a round is properly stablized (this is a very short amount of barrel) additional barrel length does not increase accuracy.

It increases velocity, which affects how the bullet hits the target. It also has some affect on the flatness of the round in flight, which helps practical shooting, but is not a technical increase in accuracy.

What you would see with a handgun with a 3 inch vs 6 inch barrel would be a longer sight radius and a heavier weapon that rises less slowing for follow up shots in rapid succession to be fired more on target. The first shot is not mechanically more accurate.
>>
>>30188403
Barrel length does not make a round more accurate. Once a round has been stablized, additional barrel length doesn't make it more accurate. That kind of thinking *is* a meme.

The exception is for things like weapons with progressive rifling where doing a cut job on the barrel will drastically decrease accuracy.
>>
>>30188373
>what is bullet stabilization
>>
File: SLR107UR_SovWood_001.jpg (265 KB, 1280x857) Image search: [Google]
SLR107UR_SovWood_001.jpg
265 KB, 1280x857
>>30188425
this is partially true. Increased barrel length does not inherently make a weapon more accurate.

However, increased barrel length does increase velocity, which makes the bullet less susceptible to wind and other environmental factors. If you are working at the very edge of your weapons's effective range, in most cases a longer barrel will improve accuracy. But this depends on a ton of other factors as well.
>>
>>30190659
that's a function of twist and it takes very little barrel to impart.
>>
>>30188373
summerfags are on their game today boys
>>
File: 1464997289258.jpg (63 KB, 960x886) Image search: [Google]
1464997289258.jpg
63 KB, 960x886
>>30192883
>>
File: 1465256272518.jpg (66 KB, 900x575) Image search: [Google]
1465256272518.jpg
66 KB, 900x575
I prefer the AK-47 platform for superior stopping power.
>>
>>30188363

2.5 inches on a barrel does not equal 100 yards

Theres a point of diminishing returns dude
>>
Also the fps difference between a 14 inch barrel to a 16inch one is like ~80fps if youre lucky
>>
I also think barrel whip is bullshit

Before anyone brings that meme up
>>
Longer barrels have

Longer sight radius
Less flash and noise
Less recoil
A bit more fps
A bit more range

But saying a 18 inch barrel gives it +100 yards of "effective range" compared to even a 14-16 inch one is hyperbolic as fuck

What a longer barrel can do is keep the bullet at a effective fps when it hits the target so it can yaw/expand right
>>
I also think longer barrels last longer than shorter ones but thats just some bullshit I believe and havent tested
>>
>>30193064
>Longer sight radius
Applies to irons only, if only obviously, and only those irons that take advantage of the additional length.

>Less flash and noise
Ok

>Less recoil
Only if they are heavier. And then it is offset by the additional recoil created by the additional velocity. All things considered, it would take an enormously sensitive shoulder to detect the difference between recoil from a 16" AR and an 18" given the same ammo.

>A bit more FPS
Ok

>A bit more range
Not really. Drift and drop difference between the few FPS one gains per inch means little. It isn't like with a 26" barrel you can miss a wind call by more than an 18".

All this shit is trivia anyway. Nearly all rifles are limited by the shooter no matter their barrel length.
>>
>>30193101
100% bullshit.

Most barrels die of throat erosion. The only possible argument is that one has room to cut down a longer barrel than a shorter one and remain legal, but barrels are cheap.
>>
>>30188345
Engagement range is determined by what distance the enemy is spotted more so than effective (accuracy) range.
>>
A longer barrel will increase the supersonic range and supposedly once a bullet goes from super- to subsonic it's accuracy is affected.
>>
>>30193138
>Nearly all rifles are limited by the shooter

You couldn't be more correct anon.
>>
File: EBXqhLS.gif (2 MB, 300x164) Image search: [Google]
EBXqhLS.gif
2 MB, 300x164
>>30193606
this x9000
>>
>>30192937
Works every time.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.