[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I've always wanted to go hunting. I REALLY want to do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3672x2400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3672x2400
So I've always wanted to go hunting. I REALLY want to do it but I have a problem. I'm a real softie. I'm afraid that I'd wouldnt be able to pull the trigger and kill an animal. I love animals too much, I guess...

Any words of wisdom or advice for someone like me?

Also, what's a good hunting rifle?
>>
Im in the same boat. I decided hunting is more about the journey, and not the destination. Go out, have a beer, get the animal in your sights, say "bang" but don't shoot. Go home.
>>
You'll never know if you can or not until its time to actually pull the trigger. Don't work yourself up over it before hand or after, you either can or won't and you wont know until you try. As far as a good rifle goes? I'd try a Savage in .270 or 30-06 if I was a newb right now.
>>
>>30163712
That actually sounds like a good idea. Animal spotting with a rifle.

Hell I could use a blank and fire it off. Animal doesn't die but I get the experience.
>>
>>30163685
Start small? Go bird hunting with a couple people who've been bird hunting. Peer pressure should help you.
>>
>>30163685
Start off with pest animals like possums and coyotes and hogs. Work your way up the "lovable" list from there. Or start on bird hunting, it happens so fast you don't have time to debate the ethics.
Also as a former guide... Don't go with a guide unless you are 100% sure you can shoot.
>>
>>30163685
>>30163712
I have the same problem. I dream of blasting away mindless beings with a bunch of close friends like in Call of Duty or Left for Dead. Let's not deny the fact that's what we all want to do here, no matter how much we shun the zombie craze, most of us would love to shoot hordes of zombies or aliens guilt free.
Hunting is about the closest we can get to this but I still don't feel right about it even though I understand that it's usually good for the ecosystem
>>
>>30163754
If that's really how you view hunting, and I didn't just take some gr8 b8 m8, you should stick to paper and steel.
>>
>>30163745
This.
Waste the motherfuckers
>>
I want to go hunting as well. I just don't know where to start. I've never been. My Dad wasn't into it.

I don't know how to dress a kill
I've never put tracking into practice
I don't know if I could even pull the trigger.

What do I do /k/?
>>
this

I tried to go fishing with my buddy once but he ended up choking me with fishing wife and stuffing those led things in my ass

what are those things called? boilies? carp fishing btw
>>
Realistically its pretty fucking amazing what happens when you shoot at an animal.

The same chemical reaction that happens (almost) every time you pull the trigger on a firearm. Except this time, the little chunk of lead riding the candle you just lit finds its way into another chunk of organic machinery and shuts it down. Nothing feelsy about it. Bang, done.

You're overthinking the unbelievably simple. Separate the thoughts of animals from the rational thoughts of humans and it ceases to be even worth a moments hesitation.
>>
>>30163953
Make some friends that hunt, or reach out to old friends that do. I don't ever mind taking people out unless they're insufferable or total retards.
If you live in a state with lots of public land blaze your own trail, go innawoods during the season for the game you want to hunt with proper licensing and do the best you can. Worst case scenario you got to spend some time in nature shooting beer cans, maybe even a skinwalker.
>>
>I couldn't pull the trigger

What does this mean? Do you mean you feel guilt about killing and decide against it or is it a physical/emotional reaction where you literally cannot pull the trigger?

>t. Autist who has killed mice by trapping them in snack bags and squishing them with my fists
>>
>>30163685
If you dont want to kill them anon, then dont. Take a camera with you and see how close you can get to a deer and take a photo
>>
>>30164184
I killed two possums with pond stones and a pair of Luchesse boots with a buddy once. Budweiser and whataburger should be a Fallout Chem, I was ready to go to war at that point.
>>
>>30164244
I once trapped a groundhog in a ditch and threw my pit bull in with it.

>it tried to escape so I broke it's leg with a well thrown rock

Fuck animals and fuck moralnormals, everybody likes hotdogs but nobody wants to work in the meatprocessing plant.
>>
I go "hunting" with a camera. Gay as fuck, I know but its almost the same, the tracking, the stalking, moving in for the perfect shot.

I hunt steel targets and cans.
>>
>>30163685
you just need to learn to hate deer, city boy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln1ucGoPvWk
>>
>>30164298
>fuck animals and fuck moralnormals
No not really. Pests are pests, and should be treated as such. Groundhogs need to be exterminated for a number of reasons.
Thinking they're all on the same level is no different than promoting dogfights to the death. Some animals need culling, most don't. I'm happy to use tannerite to kill hogs for destroying land and ruining local wildlife numbers, but I'd never sit on my porch and shoot dove until my shoulder got sore because they're animals. There's a reason game limits are in place and intelligent animals have cruelty laws.
>>
File: 1434731503641.jpg (2 MB, 3572x733) Image search: [Google]
1434731503641.jpg
2 MB, 3572x733
>>30163685

Lurking with interest. I have guns and have spent plenty of time (and $) at the range, now I want to take up hunting as well, but not sure where/how to start.
>>
File: 1459905492727.jpg (294 KB, 1920x806) Image search: [Google]
1459905492727.jpg
294 KB, 1920x806
>>30164046

Thanks!
>>
>>30163685
Shoot some birds first. It's a lot less of a hangup. And Pheasant hunting is a total riot.

Or kill some pests like yotes or hogs
>>
>>30164451
find someone with experience willing to let you tag along.
neighbors, family members, co workers, friends of family of co workers
>>
I don't know what this is like. Killing shit is amazing.
>>
File: 1460850276286.jpg (75 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1460850276286.jpg
75 KB, 800x600
>>30164465

Much appreciated. I'm coming back to the states after 8 years overseas and couldn't be more stoked about getting my firearms back, cleaning them, then trying out hunting for the first time.
>>
>>30164459
Another tip is asking park rangers or local PD about where they see game near your LEGAL hunting grounds. They're usually more than happy to let you know. But be mindful of property lines, it's a felony in my state to hunt on private property without permission, and the game wardens will find you. A good map is invaluable.
>>
>>30164487
What state?
>>
>>30163754
Zombies are the ultimate power fantasy scenario.
They're slow and mindless, easily dealt with if you're armed or not a retard, but present enough a threat that it isn't straight up pathetic.

I mean, would zombie genre have exploded the way it did if Romero had running, jumping, and coordinated zombies?
>>
I figure I'll get what I'd want via innawoods and random plinking with friends. I think I would defend myself if I had to, but I just don't like hurting things. Especially canines, even coyotes, though part of my job is pest control so I can definitely see why someone else might have to.

>Ecology
Yeah, and humans are predatory. I wouldn't expect it to stop, and I don't see it being great for the ecosystem if it did, but it ain't me.

>Mfw Alaskafag that doesn't like hunting
I promise I don't preach or even mention. None of my business.
>>
OP you are thinking really hard about this. If you want to do it, you need to focus on task. Go rabbit hunting, you won't even have time to think when they pop out of the bush. You'll have yourself a Bunny before you know what happened.

It'll be the same meat you enjoy now, only this time you'll be a much more intimate part of this cycle. If you can't handle it, switch to a camera.

I will ask that you don't use blanks in a rifle however. Mostly because it'll scare everything around you and you won't get anything for it. Leave it for another, perhaps more armed, hunter.
>>
>>30164550
Me
>>30164568
>Camera
This. Satisfies the challenge aspect for me.
>>
>>30164327
Gay.zip
>>
File: 1454877145005.jpg (1 MB, 1792x1412) Image search: [Google]
1454877145005.jpg
1 MB, 1792x1412
>>30164508

Florida. Redneck Riviera!
>>
>>30164577
Ah, see I think animals taste good so I want to eat them as a reward for meeting the challenge.
>>
>>30164762
I can dig it, and its very hard to fault felling your own food. Especially from my meat eating ass
>>
>>30163754
This has got to be the biggest projection of projections I've ever seen.

>implying my ancestors, father, brother, cousins, friends, all go hunting to kill something guilt free.

We see it as a sport, an outdoor ancestral survival activity. Funnily enough, my girlfriend seems to think like you. She always asks to go hunting after a walking dead episode wanting to shoot a deer in the head or blast up a lot of hogs. Of course she's a millennial with no work ethic, she's getting dumped any day now for this QT filipina.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.