[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If I got into a motorcycle accident, would wearing body armor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1
If I got into a motorcycle accident, would wearing body armor increase my chances of surviving?

Pic unrelated
>>
>>30157433
they make armor for motorcyclists, its specifically made for abrasion so it would probably help you more than ballistic armor

don't be a fucking squid
>>
>>30157447
this, there's a reason they make that stuff
also, you're a moron if you don't wear a helmet
>>
It'll probably do next to nothing, but if you're slammed into something pointy in just the right way it could prevent impaling.

It's not in any way a substitute for proper MC gear. Different tools for different tasks.
>>
>>30157433
i think surviving a motorcycle crash you have to be lucky, too easy to break your neck or lose a limb
>>
>>30157433
Depends on the nature of the accident.
>>
>>30157477
depends how fast you're going and how fast anyone else involved is going

if you've got even a split second to react there's a lot you can do to make an accident less deadly
>>
Of course it's increase chance of survival.
But it wouldn't do a tremendous amount. Motorcycle gear armours some very specific areas. Knees, and side of leg. Shoulder, and elbow. Places you're going to grind up if you fall off your bike.
>>
>>30157433
>>30157447
>>30157463

Motorcyclist here.

Most motorcycle armor *IS* body armor. The elbows, knees, back and ass of the jackets and pants are ballistic plating with kevlar reinforcement.

There's a reason the jackets cost upwards of $400.

Jeans and leather jackets were less of a fashion statement and more of a "best option" to not lose huge swathes of skin from downing your bike. Modern biker gear is all polyester/nylon/polyacrimid fibres woven into textiles and then spray treated with waterproof stuff.
>>
>>30157477
This is why you ( I) ride in full gear. With a neck brace.

Yead i look a little goofy. But my chances of surviving aganst a cager are damn good.
>>
Kevlar for body armor, kevlar for stab-proof vests, and kevlar for motorcycle jackets are all different.
>>
>>30157433
I thought head trauma was one of the major causes of death in a motorcycle accident or any road accident for that matter. I don't think any amount of body armor would save you. Even a helmet would probably have limited utility if your head was violently shaken during the collision.
>>
>>30157433
>>30158004
Head and neck are number one priority.
Most deaths ive seen in the ER are head trauma. Protect your goddamn neck isnt just part of a song nahmean
>>
>>30157433
>If I got into a motorcycle accident, would wearing body armor increase my chances of surviving?

Did you "accidentally" ride straight into gun fire? Then No. The extra 20 plus pounds of top weight would just make it easier to crash.
>>
>>30157443
>>30157476
>>30158519
All ya'all are fucking dumb. Police regularly get in vehicular accidents while wearing body armor, and studies have shown that it definitely does assist them in preventing injury, with injuries and fatalities lower among officers wearing armor than among those who weren't.
>>
>>30157433
The other posters are all right about head and neck. As for me, I would argue that some good coverage for road rash would help your quality of life after a not so bad wreck. Road Rash sucks.

Something with D30 like the Armadillo (video for D30 noobs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5_n6bOuXkY) or something with Kevlar.

D30 is a badass material. My GF had some d30 kneepads for work.
>>
>>30157433
ATTGAT but I'm still considering wearing a plate in case I'm caught in some BBQLM protest
>>
>>30158608
Correlation does not equate to causation

Also

>Citation needed
>>
>>30157433
>ceramics
>crash
>plate absolutely disintigrates on impact
>>
>>30157728
>ballistic plating

You don't even know what that means
Motorcycle gear is kevlar lined
>>
>>30157764
>This is why you ( I) ride in full gear. With a neck brace.

You'll break your spine below the neck brace

Do you think we should have seat belts on motorcycles too?
>>
>>30157477
There's an old saying.
>There are two kinds of riders: those who have crashed and those who will crash.
A different meaning you can take from this is that crashes happen and are rarely fatal. The thing is only the fatal ones get the publicity.
>>
>>30159524
I do know what that means.

They literally have ballistic plates and cups in jackets now. Elbows specifically; it's NIJ Level II; same grade as the ballistic face masks.
>>
only in the sense that it adds layers between you and the road.

but they make specialized bike gear that does the same thing but better.
>>
>>30158608
>All ya'all are fucking dumb.

Pot, meet Cletus the kettle.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.