[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Rust issues
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: 3452345.png (712 KB, 800x517) Image search: [Google]
3452345.png
712 KB, 800x517
>gifted old makarov pistol from grand father
>do not shoot it much but want to keep it ready to fire and up-kept
>have to brush fuck it every 4 days with hopps like a horny stallion fucking a mule to keep surface rust away

Is there something cheap and easy that just keeps this shit off? I mean I enjoy doing it because it is very calming to have a task in front of you but christ sake if I leave for vacation for 2 weeks. This fun will look like the fucking titanic.
>>
>>30119673
Grease man
>>
>>30119673
What kind of oil are you leaving on there? Something better or thicker like greas-anon suggested.
>>
>>30119862
Hoppe's 9 mostly. Was told this was a "cure-all" oil for cleaning,lubing, preserving. I am thinking about using it for my CC so heavy grease isn't blowing up my skirt.
>>
>>30119882
Well they lied to you.
>>
>>30119673
Get it refinished if it's not something exceptionally rare. A nice proper bluing will look nice.
>>
>>30119911
Well then. Off to murder my step brother.
>>
>>30119882
Hoppes is a solvent, not an oil.
>>
>>30119673
People will give you shit for using it, but Frog Lube is one of the best options for rust prevention out there if you live in a humid environment.

Just make sure you fucking follow the directions the first time. You'll end up with a sticky gun and light strikes if you don't.
>>
I just cover everything I don't want rusting in a layer of Ballistol, seems to work well
>>
>>30119882
There's your fucking problem.

Soak that bitch in CLP.

>>30119981

For rust prevention, Frog Lube is equal to CLP and worse than TW25B. It's a meme.
>>
>>30119882

How the fuck are you able to type with all your mental deficiencies?
>>
>>30119673

What to Buy:
Birchwood Casey Super Blue
0000 Steel Wool
Distilled Water
Rubbing Alcohol
WD40 or CLP

Steps:
1. Disassemble Gun
2. Spray Steel wool with WD40 or CLP
3. Scrub the parts, and get all of rust off
4. Remove the oil from the gun with the rubbing alcohol
5. Dry the gun
6. Apply the Super Blue
7. Wait a minute
8. Rinse with distilled water
9. Dry it
10. Scrub with dry steel wool
11. Repeat steps 6-10 five to ten times
12. Spray it down with CLP and wipe it dry

Cost should be ~$20

Alternatively sandblast it and apply a phosphate finish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUVg5GxkAPU

Also get a safe dryer
>>
>>30120076
I am new at this. Own a hunting rifle but this is my first hand gun. Never wanted one but it dropped in my lap so I tossed a bill for a license.
>>
I stored my East German Mak in it's raindrop flap holster once and came back to find specks of rust along the slide. I used that as an excuse to touch it up with cold blue, wiped it down with CLP then replaced the open-cell foam in my safe with closed-cell and tossed a couple big desiccant packs in there for good measure.

Also if you know somebody who works night shift at Walmart or whatever ask them to hoard desiccant packs for you. You'll have a lifetime supply within a week.
>>
Soak that commie product in some nice, American BF CLP.
CLP is an excellent rust preventative.
>>
>>30119673
>Hoppes

You fucked up, that stuff strips the paint and makes rust more likely to occur. It also has no protective qualities like CLP, it just leaves the surface bare afterwards.

A basic CLP would work, stay away from that Walmart hoppes shit.
>>
>>30120099
Thanks for your honest answer. Next time, thoroughly read the labels of the shit you plan to use.

Also, see this guy: >>30120094

...and know that WD-40 is not gun lube, but in this particular case would help remove the rust "spores".
>>
>>30119673
Can you use rust inhibitor on it?
>>
>>30119673
rust is like engraving for slav guns, makes it better and worth more
>>
Oil it you clud.
>>
>>30119673

Corrosion block is my go to for gun and general metal preservation, spray out as a bluish foam and dries into a clear non stick, non gumming teflon protective coating made to keep brasswork and engines exposed to salt water from corroding. Spray it on brush it in and wipe off the excess and you are done.
>>
>>30120094
This
You can re-blue it yourself, don't need to send it to a gunsmith.
Otherwise the rust will continue to eat it away unless you keep it submerged in a tub of grease or wd40
>>
>>30120265
WD-40 on a gun wuutttttt no no no

Rust spores, oh fuck this is what happens after 9 months of vodka and one squat later is plopped on head.
>>
>>30119673
On my blued guns, I take a folded up paper towel, spray some CLP on it a bit liberally, and then I wipe down the whole gun.
>>
>>30119673
You should know that if you're going to reblue, cold bluing is for touch ups and hot bluing is for redoing the finish.
>>
TW25B on moving parts.
Renaissance Wax on everything else.
Hoppes OIL (not fucking hopppes 9. If it smells like bananas youre doing it wrong) on the bore.
>>
>>30121672
WD-40 works well when removing rust prior to refinishing when sprayed on steel wool.
>>
File: 1453108996182.jpg (57 KB, 450x600) Image search: [Google]
1453108996182.jpg
57 KB, 450x600
>>30120018
same. so far, so good.
>>
Use CLP.

It builds up a layer on it the more you rub it on.

Hoppes is just a cleaner, and you're taking any protective oil off when you use it.
>>
Get an air conditioner. I've never seem rust build up like that.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.