[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do mountain infantry do these days? Which country is best
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
What do mountain infantry do these days?

Which country is best at it?

How hard would it be for a Murrifat who likes to hike, climb, and shoot to join one of these units? Language barrier would not be an issue.
>>
>>30116117
They just keep training to fight in the mountains, should the situation ever come up again. Most of the EU armies have mountain units. Having worked with a few and having gone through US Army Mountain Warfare school, I would say the French have one of the better ones. Then the German Gebirgsjaegers.

The US has 2 Mountain Infantry battalions, part of the Vermont/New England National Guards. Every Army Special Forces company has 1 team dedicated to Mountain Warfare as well.
>>
>>30116159
Know anything about the Austrians?
>>
>>30116159
>>30116117
Wait, I need to reword that... The French, from what I've heard from German and Italian Mountain troops, have the better training course for Mountain Warfare. Many countries send their troops to do the French training. As far as the better units, I couldn't really say since I've only worked with the Germans. They were pretty cool though.
>>
>>30116197
Can't say anything about them, the only thing I know about Austrian mountaineers is that they share the same Edelweiss badge as the Germans, except they wear theirs in the opposite direction... Also, I think they were the ones who gave the badge to the Germans way back when.
>>
>>30116246
I don't suppose you have any idea how hard it is for a foreigner to join a European military?
>>
>>30116314
No clue. You might be able to get better answers, as far as jumping ship to a different military, in a /meg/ thread. I would assume the FFL is always looking for new booty to train up.
>>
>>30116314
Probably very difficult. Smaller forces are more selective.
>>
One of the writers on SOFREP said the Germans had the most comprehensive mountain warfare course. The moutain warfare course that is taught at SWCS is a condensed version of the German course.
>>
>>30116197
They're Austrian, so expect them to severely underrate themselves then beat you, and anyone else, at any sort of task involving mountains or snow.

>>30116314
Next to impossible, aside from the French Foreign Legion. They are all very selective, and they tend only to recruit from either their own countries or former colonies.
>>
>>30116117
10th Mountain division US Army
>>
>>30117141
>10th Mountain division US Army
I earned my mountain tab the hard way.
snowshoeing 10 miles, 4500 vertical up a mountain in15 inches virgin snow with full pack by myself.
>>
>>30117141
Negatron. 10th Mountain Division is no longer an actual Mountaineer unit. It only holds the name for historical purposes. They do send a lot of troops up to Vermont for Army Mountain Warfare school and the Division has it's own introductory mountaineering course, but they are just Light Infantry with Cold weather flair.
>>
So far I'm getting French and German vibes. What about Scandi nations?
>>
>>30116197
since they consist conscripts they really suck at anything but the cadre is really something else. Most of then do hiking and climbing in private so they just bing their experience and skills in.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.