[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are calibers the same until theyre not?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: Gun.png (223 KB, 477x356) Image search: [Google]
Gun.png
223 KB, 477x356
Okay /k/, the majority of posters keep saying that 9mm acts pretty much the same as .40 and that .45 doesn't have much larger of an impact overall compared to 9mm. This seems to be generally accepted and why 9mm is a common carry caliber. But when big animals come into play the calibers seem to develop larger differences. All of a sudden .40 is the smallest caliber you'll carry or only .45 is big enough. If they act essentially the same why the change in opinion?
>>
>>30101996
It probably has something to do with penetration. For general self defense, 12 inches is the recommended penetration depth. I would imagine that number would need to be larger if you're shooting at black bear or something. I may be completely wrong about this. It could also be fuddlore.
>>
Because humans have softer tissue and 9mm is good enough for penetration vs big game with much ticker flesh
>>
>>30101996
Any of those three would be useless versus a grissly. 10mm/357 is really the minimum there
>>
>>30101996
memes

You shouldn't really use 'small' rounds against wildlife.
>>
>>30101996
My man, I'm thinking that the recommended pistol calibers for bears are more like full power 10mm rounds on the low end.
>>
>>30102035
Debatable, but its endless. I'm pretty sure that a few well placed shots from a +p 9mm should suffice.
>>
>>30101996
It's almost as if a bear and a human are entirely different animals? You have different organ placement, different blood loss, different bone density, different body shape.

This is your daily reminder that the largest Grizzly in history was taken by a Canadian girl with a single shot .22 short.
>>
>>30103039
Lol really?

Guns are amazing
>>
File: 1463763534071.jpg (41 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1463763534071.jpg
41 KB, 320x240
>>30103039
>>
>>30103039
That's wifing material right there
>>
>>30103039
This is a lie. Not only would a short google search corroborate this, but I seriously doubt .22 short would have the energy to penetrate deep enough to even touch anything vital.
>>
>>30101996
95% of people who post actively on this board only know enough about guns to regurgitate memes they heard on/k/. Nobody seems to understand the meaning of that gel test supposedly showing how all calibers penetrate equally, in regard to WHY they all stop at the same point. They all stop at 12 inches or so because they are hollow point bullets that have been DESIGNED TO STOP AFTER 12 INCHES. If you do the test with bullets designed for peetration, or breaking through barriers, the results are very different.
>>
Any time handgun caliber and big animals comes into play, 9/40/45 is NOT going to be an adequate minimum period. .357 and 10mm or bust.
>>
>>30103251
http://www.ammoland.com/2014/11/what-22-rifle-did-bella-twin-use-to-kill-a-world-record-grizzly-in-1953/

I'd give it maybe a 50% of being true. First shot stunned it, next 8 managed to crack the skull and penetrate into the brain
>>
>>30101996
Because day/k/are

If you have a legitimate concern of hogs, bobcats, panthers, wolves, bears, etc. You need something that ends in "Magnum" at the least.

Camp carbines, guide guns, and comically large caliber short barreled revolvers exist for a reason and each fill their niche. Anyone who carries a .40, .45, or 9mm in the woods is only concerned with two legged predators.
>>
>>30101996
>.45 ACP is better for big animals because the boolit is big
only retards think so.
>>
>>30102035
This. I carry my 19 in the city and then my 29 when Im out hiking or hunting
>>
There's an old joke up in Alaska where they always tell the new guys to file down the front sights on their pistols before they head into the bush. When the new guy invariably asks why, he's told that way it won't hurt as bad when the grizzly forceably rams it up whatever bodily orifice is most convenient.
>>
>>30103620
Big cats, especially north American ones, are easy enough to kill with 9mm. Wolves don't usually stick around when the shooting starts. Its only bear country where you need to carry a magnum pistol. A rifle would be better, though.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.