[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's a good value rifle i gan get in Australia, i was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5
what's a good value rifle i gan get in Australia, i was thinking Lee-Enfield SMLE
>>
>>30100282
A poor SMLE will be cheap.

A good condition SMLE won't be.

303 commerical ammo is terribly expensive and inaccurate and the only way to go for 303 is to handload.

Get something in 223 or 308, Mossberg MVP, Tikka T3, Remington 700, Howa 1500 etc.
>>
any new insanely overpriced meme gun made in this shit hole my friend
>>
>>30100350
Extremely small production runs in a country with high wages are expensive, who would have guessed?

Get a Howa. Made in Japan, dirt cheap lately and a lot of places will do deals with a cheapo scope, bag etc.
>>
>>30100282
Any reputable .223 would be the cheapest to buy and shoot. Don't buy trash rifles as you'll spend heaps on making it shoot right.
>>
>>30100336
>in austrailia
this is important

>303 commerical ammo
>inaccurate
based on?
>>
>>30100611
No the poster you are replying to.

But he is right, commercially loaded .303 is generally rather shit (which is to say more shit then the usual crap results that eventuate from commercial loads). There is no option for a premium .303 so its just cheap and inconsistent. Rather expensive as well.

Not to mention a SMLE is not at all an accurate rifle. With the rear locked bolt, non bedded action, lack of options for optics and completely non freefloated barrel.

A Tikka sporter comes with a 3 shot MOA guarantee and the varmints have a 5 shot MOA guarantee.

I own a SMLE its a fun gun to shoot, plenty of recoil and power and a nice touch of history as well.

I wouldn't recommend one as your first centerfire rifle though.

>>30100282
I would suggest a Tikka T3 or a Howa, I am rather fond of the Tikkas myself.

Go for a .223 as well, its pretty cheap, reasonably accurate and a versatile range of ammunition is available. The limited recoil will help you develop good shooting techniques and wont put you off like getting bitch slapped by a lightweight .30-06. It has plenty of power for most game in Aus as well, if you want to get into deer learn to shoot first and then get yourself a second rifle for that.
>>
>>30100746
the most common commercial .303 load in america is PPU, which is pretty par for the course as far as ammo quality goes. the price of .303 ammo is much lower in austrailia as well.

the SMLE is known to be marginally less accurate than ww2 rifles of similar quality, but not inaccurate. certainly accurate enough for a new shooter. the barrel is free floated and you can easily mount optics, even if you dont wish to drill and tap for a scope. its the less shitty austrailian equivalent of what the nugget used to be.
>>
>>30100746
OP here, i shot a Tikka the otherday alongside a .308 rem 700 i think, overall i got better grouping with the tikka, i'm just a bit iffy about the pricetag, well worth the 1k for a T3 Lite?
>>
>>30100611
>>303 commerical ammo
>>inaccurate
>based on?
Personal results using my own, and other peoples SMLE's. Both No1 MkIII's, No4's and a No5.

Tried all sorts of factory ammo. S&B, PPU, Federal. Pretty meh results. Handloading though, and it's a whole different game. No4 with the 174gr Hornady FMJBT was giving 2 - 3" groups all day long off hand.
>>
File: DSC_2488.jpg (3 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2488.jpg
3 MB, 3840x2160
>>30100816
Tikka's are budget Sako rifles and are very hard to beat at the price.

I have the T3 CTR in 308, and it does sub-MOA with Sierra 168gr MatchKings loaded behind 42gr of AR2208. So far I've taken it out to 700yrds no problem.
>>
>>30100821
i havent seen any difference in ppu or mk VII surplus but you guys seem to disagree. maybe ive just been lucky so far.
>>
>>30100816
These days the Tikka's are a better rifle for the money then a Rem 700.

You can go the Howa's if you want the best value for money, they aren't finished as well as the Tikka's and tend to vary a bit in the accuracy department a bit more. More then sufficient for most hunting though.

Cleavers have new Howa in .223 for $595.

https://www.cleaverfirearms.com/Products.aspx?Category=Rifles&Brand=113

So for that price, if money is really tight then get the Howa, spend the rest of your budget on the optics.

Do not cheap out on scopes, by which I mean get a mid range optic or better. All the super cheap stuff (Less then about $400 or so for traditional optics) is complete garbage.
>>
>>30100839
I don't think anyone is taking the position that cheap ammo is going to be worse then old as fuck milsurp?

Milsurp ammo was never loaded for accuracy anyway.
>>
>>30100868
don't buy shit off cleavers
>>
>>30100876
Why?
They have good prices. Some of their employees are stupid cunts but Tony Cleaver has always done alright by me.

Probs have the best website going as far as Aus gun shops go anyway, which is why I linked them since it was easy to navigate to what I wanted to show OP.
>>
>>30100871
mk 7 is pretty well known as some of the best .303 ever produced. if commercial ammo is producing results as well as greek hxp in an smle, its decent quality.
>>
>>30100898
What we consider a well loaded round of ammo now and 50 years ago are fairly different things.

Also of course 50 odd years worth of degradation is not going to help consistency by an means.
>>
>>30100931
youre being intentionally dense. mk 7 surplus, especially greek and south african, is some of the best .303 available for sale. the rifle was literally designed with this round in mind. if you are shooting something that can produce better groups in an SMLE, its probably hand loaded. ammunition that is loaded with quality components will last well over 50 years when stored in a cool dry place.
>>
>>30100895
Stop giving those cunts money.
>>
>>30100962
>>30100876
i have heard some bad things about cleaver, is it ok?
>>
>>30100971
Yeh they are fine, best to buy in store though, their online ordering system isn't the greatest (but is honestly about on par with all the other Australian shops, which is to say they are all a bit crap).
>>
>>30100971
Only buy shit from them on the following two conditions:
1) If you cannot get it at a more local shop. Price doesn't matter because Cleavers undercuts everyone.

2) Only order shit if it's in stock. If it's not instock you can be waiting months, even up to a year.
>>
SMLEs are really cheap for what they are, but make sure you're not getting a lemon.
Also expect to be forced to reload your own ammo for both price and headspacing.

There are better guns and cheaper guns out there, though.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
Anybody else have one of these god awful things yet?
>>
File: 1461703168713s.jpg (4 KB, 120x125) Image search: [Google]
1461703168713s.jpg
4 KB, 120x125
>>30100282
>Lee-Enfield SMLE
>Lee-Enfield Short Magazine Lee-Enfield.
the retarded shouldn't own firearms.
>>
>>30101111
Yes, but mine's fine.
>>
>>30101111
>Not getting a Pardus instead
>>
File: 20151208_171716.jpg (241 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
20151208_171716.jpg
241 KB, 1440x2560
>>30101111
>>30101262

Had mine for ages.
Have a Pardus on order as well. Should get here any fucking moment seeing how I ordered in the first half hour that QGE put it on their website.
>>
>>30100746
Commercially loaded .303 isn't any less accurate than other non-match loaded calibers. It's typically 100+ fps slower than military ball was but that's not the end of the world with the kind of shooting it's usually used for.

>>30100746
>non bedded action
So what is it, floated? The action has to make contact with at least: the draws of the stock, the wrist needs to make even contact on the back of the stock, the areas around the front trigger guard screw needs to make even contact and extend, preferably, all the way down the side of the reciever. This is all bedding.
>>
>>30100954
>mk 7 surplus, especially greek and south african, is some of the best .303 available for sale.

Greek and South African is the only good .303 left, it's in spec and loaded with smokeless and non-corrosive primers. I don't know about American WW2 vintage .303 but I know from measuing and shooting a good deal of British ammo that it was pretty badly made and often out of spec.

I generally hate anything loaded with cordite anyway so even if there was lots of Radway Green or what-have-you left I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. Average bullet size of WW2 vintage British ball that I've measured was .3095, way too small.
>>
>>30101204
sure is summer here
>>
>>30101625
it's always summer in oz.
>>
>>30100282
Swedish Mauser m96. Alternatively, CG63
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.