[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are people more obsessed with firearms than armor that can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 14
File: troy-bear.gif (60 KB, 275x222) Image search: [Google]
troy-bear.gif
60 KB, 275x222
Why are people more obsessed with firearms than armor that can stop said firearms?

I don't want something used to kill people. But I'd like something to make me near impervious from those people that do, and can't be used to hurt anyone.
>>
File: X-01.jpg (247 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
X-01.jpg
247 KB, 1920x1080
>>30076221
>>
>>30076221
>don't want something used to kill people
Get out
>>
>>30076221
Because you can never out-armor firepower. The biggest baddest tanks we have right now still get blown up by 30 year old RPGs. Bulletproof glass and body armor only protects you from a few shots at the most.
>>
>>30076221
>I don't want something used to kill people.

then dont kill anyone with it, jackass.

picture unrelated to post content.
>>
Because it's far easier to destroy than to preserve.
>>
how about this, why aren't we interested in armor that can carry a 40mm and its ammunition? you have armor that can stop small rounds? fuck that shit. side armor of your vehicle exposed to my ambush? low flying helos? the more you can field these type of suits the better.
>>
File: 1463159244436.jpg (185 KB, 750x984) Image search: [Google]
1463159244436.jpg
185 KB, 750x984
>>30076221
/k/- weapons

git out
>>
>>30076503
THIS MAN IS ASKING THE IMPORTANT QUESTIONS
>>
Armor is generally heavy and uncomfortable.
>>
>>30076221
Because you can easily carry a gun without it being a big deal, but good luck going around your daily life wearing full-body bulletproof armor.
>>
>>30076503
fuck this. imagine the days where INFANTRY carries weapons that fires this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wewaCdSW4yc
>>
>>30076375
well monkey models do but you need really modern argms to really kill modern armor
>>
Heavy full-body armor have three major issues:

1) Situation awareness
2) Weight
3) Bulk and noise.

Even if we create "power-armor" like technology with exoskeleton to circuvent issue number 2, it would only increase the issue number 3.
For issue number 1, camera microphones and optics for improving SA in a smart helmet could be an alternative, but such technology could be interfered by PEM and Jamming and current technology battery limitations, which is also an issue for gasoline-powered exoskeletons.

It's simply not effective cost wise to have such complex armors, in modern warfare. Battery technology is also severely limited and have been stalled for decades. Large Fuel cells or combustion engines for the exoskeleton may be an issue but would increase the issue number 3 in several folds.

In the end, UAV and and armed Drones are much more cost-effective weapons than a "super-expensive-bulky soldier" that can't even fit through the door of a small house and would alert an enemy miles away.
>>
>>
>>30076221

Because

1) there is no such thing as impenetrable armor. what you're wishing for is an imaginary thing you've made up in your head rather than a real thing that can be achieved, because you are a stupid faggot who did not think this through

2) to even get close to something that can make you bulletproof would require an enormous amount of material that your candy ass cannot hold up and move around in

3) you are a dumb faggot who should kill himself. do not make another thread on my board again.
>>
>>30076503
>, why aren't we interested in armor that can carry a 40mm and its ammunition?

why the fuck do you need armor to do that?

seriously, are you fucking retarded? did you get fucked by your dad a little too much as a toddler?

just

fucking

think

before you post this garbage, shithead
>>
File: cv_90.jpg (80 KB, 550x331) Image search: [Google]
cv_90.jpg
80 KB, 550x331
>>30076503

Gee, if only there was some incredibly cheap and reliable way to carry a 40mm cannon, then we'd really be in business. It's too bad that our only hope is to design, build, and field a mythical suit of armor that's powered by positive thinking to achieve this extremely simple thing that the human race has already been doing for over a century.
>>
>>30076221

One of these things is a hell of a lot more afordable than the other.
>>
>>30080387
>>30080393

Can you drive a tank up a mountain? Have you seen the dust clouds tracked and wheeled vehicles have in the desert? Have you ever been air dropped ontop of a mountain and WISHED you had a portable heavy weapon because there was entrenched enemy positions on the other mountain raining Dshk rounds on you? Ever been a situation where you need fire support and it was the platoon sergeant, PL AND the RTO who got blown sky high in an alley and there was contact behind fortified positions and high ground?!

The point is mother fuckers, WHO THE FUCK CAN SAY NO TO PORTABLE 40MM Fire power at the platoon level?

You can be an arm chair general all you want, but when you're done doing offensive operations
and you've settled down to at the company/platoon level and area sustainment, fucking tanks won't always be available to come with you during patrols. The heaviest sustained firepower a non-armor brigade can provide within moments are a fucking 50 and if your lucky and your patrol base is a company one, you may get 81mm raining down on the targets.

Oh and air support? Ha! If you get air support during a patrol or a recon action, you're fucking lucky and God was looking out for you, otherwise you are shit out of fucking luck.

No one does recon by fire any more, and if you don't know what that is? You need to stop arguing and GTFO.
>>
>>30082071

Good luck climbing hills in a rigid piece of tin armor, not to mention getting stuck in sand because you exert too much ground pressure on pretty much everything you walk on. And the swamps / wetlands.
>>
File: styker.jpg (424 KB, 2000x1312) Image search: [Google]
styker.jpg
424 KB, 2000x1312
>>30079078
Don't know about hearing you miles away, but if I was able to drive up to an enemy occupied position and unload my squad with 75 meters of the said building in iraq 2007 when I was with 1-25 SBCT, I'm pretty sure some weighting a fraction of my 20 ton piece of fuck would cause even less noise.
>>
If you can't kill with it, what good will it do you in helping others who don't have it? Not everyone can wear power armor or become a Space Marine OP.
>>
>>30080400
>Armor
>Expensive

Either poorfag or a peasant who has yet to learn the gospel of AR500 steel.
>>
>>30082119
>AR500
>>
>>30082091
And thus the argument comes full circle. Tanks have the same problem you argue with and I have been in missions where I was dropped off by a ch47 carring gear meant for a whole week, while carrying a thor and 2 rounds 81mm for the mortars.

Pretty sure I wished I had a hydraulic assisted frame at the time and fucking wished the military issued me this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdK2y3lphmE

And I don't even care about having rigid armor. Fuck protection when you're able to carry a weapon system that pretty much says, "Fuck you, I own this 2km area, I dare you to shoot at me and my buddies."
>>
>>30082142

You realize the bigger gun you carry the more of a target you are right ? This is why most MBT's have armor as well as most LAV's have it, all it would take is one guy with a good aim to drop you if you are unprotected, and even if you have a armor capable to stop a RPG the human inside will at the least be hurting as fuck.

Infantry goes wherever armor cant, armor for advancing and fucking shit up. infantry for holding area.
>>
>>30082172

Adding, we are not even close to be able to field something that could even power a suit for fire platform situations, unless you like having a giant cord attached to you and a big ass generator nearby.
>>
>>30082119
You know class 4 ceramics arent that exspensive these days and are better for ap ammo and lighter?
Ar500 plates should be owned if your thinking the words going fallout or mad max, but ceramics for litterly everything else.
Why not own both wear the ceramics till they crack from 4 hits of ap ammo (somehow survive this encounter) then put your ar500 plates in back at home.

If you are in enough fire fights and live to need to replace a ceramic plate your retardedly lucky, if Im running up a hill in full kit and hiding in the sewers for a convoy to roll by i want something light, ar500's only real plus is multihit survivability
>>
File: Screenshot_20160527-103553.png (868 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160527-103553.png
868 KB, 1920x1080
>>30076375

https://youtu.be/hbWYne5F7QI

> ...only a few shots...

Lies! Buy from the people that Actually need such armor.
>>
>>30076221

It's pretty inconvenient to walk around in an EOD suit covered by NIJ IV plates.
Far easier to carry a subcompact pistol to kill the nigga that wants to put holes in you.
>>
>>30082196
The company that makes the steel plates also makes ceramic ones for their higher rated plates. They're still not very expensive.

For the price of a glawk 40 problem solva I could be protected from anything up to armor piercing .30-06
>>
>>30076221
You can take a firearm to the range, hunt with it, defend yourself, etc. All most people would do with armor is cosplay. At that, armor on its own is fairly useless and unless you have a way to stop whoever/whatever you're armoring yourself against you will eventually die.

>>30076503
>why aren't we interested in armor that can carry a 40mm and its ammunition?

Because that's expensive and unrealistic and far less practical than it is cool.

Remotely controlled gundams are more practical than manned powersuits.
>>
>>30082091
If 1,100 pound donkeys can regularly scale mountains in the Mojave, then someone wearing an exosuit can do it anywhere else.

Fuck, just take all your "it'll sink into the sand" arguments and sink them into your ass.
>>
>>30080365
>censoring the a in badass

Why?!
>>
>>30082345

Normies. It might surprise you after a couple of years on 4chins, but on normie sites people don't like it much when you call people retarded fucking niggers.
>>
>>30080385
>do not make another thread on my board again.
*our* board, friend ;)
>>
>>30076375
and lets be honest here if you don't shoot them they will keep shooting your safe space cuddle armor until a bullet gets through
>>
>>30082338
>If 1,100 pound donkeys can regularly scale mountains in the Mojave, then someone wearing an exosuit can do it anywhere else.

That is bad logic.

Your logic is bad.

>inb4 BUT SPESS MUHREENS!
>>
>>30080385
>Because
Here we go...

>1) there is no such thing as impenetrable armor. what you're wishing for is an imaginary thing you've made up in your head rather than a real thing that can be achieved, because you are a stupid faggot who did not think this through
Just as there's no 100% penetrable weapon.

>2) to even get close to something that can make you bulletproof would require an enormous amount of material that your candy ass cannot hold up and move around in
I'm comfortable in my location. I don't need to go around bothering people.

>3) you are a dumb faggot who should kill himself. do not make another thread on my board again.
Bullets keep bouncing off the helmet :)
>>
File: 1327680726573.jpg (47 KB, 450x223) Image search: [Google]
1327680726573.jpg
47 KB, 450x223
>>30076221
What you want is an up-armored scooter and a doctors note allowing you to drive it anywhere.
Armored suit tech is still to far off.
How protected could a minitank get?
>>
>>30085683
Top gear already built a concept model essentially.
>>
>>30076503

We're developing powered armor, jackass. Problem is, it isn't technologically feasible.

>No power supply small enough exists that will power a suit of armor
>Motors powering the suit are noisy and bulky
>The suit is only powerful enough to move itself, not move itself and a bunch of armor
>An armored soldier is too bulky and too heavy to be transported in most vehicles and aircraft
>A vehicle with an autocannon is going to be more efficient than a person with an autocannon, because a vehicle can carry more armor, it's faster, can cover more terrain (hint: tanks don't sink into boggy terrain as easily as wheeled vehicles because they have more surface area; what do you think a 600lb trooper with two feet is going to do?), carries more ammo and weaponry, can reload more effectively, can transport infantry, etc.
>Powered armor will get fucked by anyone with an anti-material rifle, grenade launcher, RPG, etc. and small arms can penetrate if aiming at the joints, engine, etc.

Meanwhile, modern infantry are faster and more mobile than powered armor (good luck climbing that wooden staircase in 600lb of armor, or crawling under a house to find where Achmed hid his weapons cache), can be transported by any vehicle imaginable, and there are 30mm, 35mm, and 40mm automatic grenade launchers they can carry (Rheinmetall Hydra, QLZ-87, etc.), 50mm and 60mm mortars, RPG's, hell, even disposable, fire-and-forget ATGM's like the MBT-LAW. Infantry have all the firepower and protection they need while still staying mobile.

This doesn't even take into consideration the added maintenance, training, and logistics train needed to support powered armor.

So no, as much as I have a hard-on for Starship Troopers (book, not the movie) powered armor rampaging through city streets, it's not happening for decades, both because the technology isn't there yet and because it simply isn't practical.
>>
File: image.jpg (302 KB, 615x461) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
302 KB, 615x461
>>30076221
>Don't want something to kill people
>on /k/
>>
>>30076503
You're kinda missing the point of infantry in modern engagements.

The idea is to have a large number of relatively cheap dudes that are highly flexible and can enter buildings, interact with locals, and generally patrol around holding an area against an enemy that generally consists of nothing scarier than a bunch of rebels/terrorists. When you need to deliver extreme amounts of firepower or face heavy enemy resistance, there's tanks and air support for that.

A space marine armor would cost much more than a tank, while being less survivable, less mobile, and less lethal.
>>
>>30082071

>Drive a tank up a mountain

That's what light tanks are for.

>Dust clouds

What, are your Starship Troopers going to WALK for sixty miles? And how is dust a disadvantage? They already know you're coming regardless.

>Wished you had portable heavy weapon on a mountain

When I did it, it was called the M3 Carl Gustav. Blows shit up just fine. Then there's the 60mm mortar, 40mm grenade launcher, and oh hey, they even make howitzers and heavy mortars you can break down and carry on foot through terrain vehicles can't travel on. Explain why a 40mm autocannon is going to be any better at hitting an entrenched enemy than any of those.

>Need fire support and yadda yadda entire chain of command is dead

It's called, "Jenkins, get some fire on that position with your 40 mike mike, Ramirez, call in a fucking Warthog, Jones... try not to get shot."

>Who can say no

The poor bastard who has to hump that shit 20 miles. And again, what is bringing an autocannon going to accomplish that grenade launchers, mortars, RPG's, and ATGM's don't already do?

>Tanks can't come with you during patrols

No, but they're available as backup. And a humvee can mount a .50, or a Mk19 40mm automatic grenade launcher, or a TOW missile, and you have air support and artillery on call. If you REALLY want an autocannon, they make armored scout cars like the Panhard CRAB that carry them. Or the V-100 Commando. And honestly, if you NEED an autocannon while on patrol, then why the fuck weren't you moving with armor support in the first place?
>>
>>30076221
No matter how much armor you build, someone will always build something bigger to take it down.
>>
>>30082223

At which point some nigger shoots you in the head, sells your armor at the pawn shop, and buys some blunts with the money.

>>30082338

You do realize that donkeys are quadrapeds and spread their weight across a greater surface area, right? And are not covered in rigid plate armor that also obscures their vision? And that you're a dumbass?

>>30084324

Weapons always outstrip the capabilities of armor to protect against weapons.
>>
>>30082338
>>30083587
>>30086023
I got a solution to both your problems.
>>
>>30080387
>Implying you wouldn't want to carry glorious 30 mm for glorious bbbrrrrrrrtttttttt.
>>
>>30076221
It's cheap and easy to make a gun that hits harder and is still portable.

It's expensive and hard to make an armor that protects you better while still providing any degree of mobility.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.