[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where are the cool guns?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7
File: bbppsh.jpg (69 KB, 471x266) Image search: [Google]
bbppsh.jpg
69 KB, 471x266
Where did all of the variety go?

Has Obummer really crippled our gun culture to the point that all people will buy is scary assault weapons?
>>
File: 1419276464591.jpg (297 KB, 1280x850) Image search: [Google]
1419276464591.jpg
297 KB, 1280x850
>>30060810
Muh Ar and poorfags.
>>
File: carcano.png (39 KB, 1185x132) Image search: [Google]
carcano.png
39 KB, 1185x132
>>30060810
You may be right.

It also doesn't help that the milsurp market is drying up. It pains me every day to think that I wasn't interested in firearms during the days of the $100 nuggets and $150 SKSs.

With entry level AR15s nearing the $550-600 range it sounds silly to most people to buy a $300 surplus.
>>
>>30060810
>>30060825
Also, to expand on that point, there's just no demand anymore for interesting or unique firearms. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would absolutely love to see a firearms manufacture start to churn out some interesting and unique designs, but the market is mostly focused on ARs, AKs, and other tactical rifles right now.
>>
>>30060816
Well, it wasn't that long ago $500 got you an RPK, $400 got you a VZ2008, $200 got your an SKS, $100 got you a T53, $300 got you a pps43 pistol...

I get that surplus dries up, but normally there's a new set of guns to fill the void. But all the void is being filled with is muh American made AK, and muh $400 AR. Now every pistol caliber carbine is $1200 and a plastic gimmick.

I just don't understand how the collective gun culture tanked so fast.
>>
>>30060842
All of the surplus dried up and nothing filled the void cuz everything is full auto now and banned.
>>
>>30060842
But EVO scorpions are only like $750
>>
>>30060849
We've been doing the same trick to get WASRs in the country for a decade, and they used to be $300 rifles, so it is feasible to work with automatic surplus. The pic in my OP is another example.
>>
>>30060810
The only thing B. Hussein has done is increase firearm purchases by 186% according to NICS.
>>
>>30060877
There's more to gun culture than scared Mr. Cheezeburger buying a Chinese shotgun and hi-point because he sees a shooting on TV, or neets buying 10 AR receivers at a time.
>>
Who cares nothing looks cooler than an SKS and we have plenty of those. People want stuff that's actually useful and practical, why would you want a heavy hunk of wood unless for collection purposes. It's all too expensive now, an SKS that isn't falling apart is like $500. At that point you can get a more practical AK or AR.
>>
>>30060884
Not anymore my friend. War is a coming. Don't doubt it, we all feel it in our bones.

You don't want to be fighting with grandpa guns when it comes.
>>
>>30060930
Kek
>>
>>30060923
>People want stuff that's actually useful and practical
Firearms are a mature technology. For the same reason 60 and 70 year old designs like the AK and AR still dominate the globe.
>>
File: IMG_20160514_012939.jpg (93 KB, 553x1068) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160514_012939.jpg
93 KB, 553x1068
>>30060930
I love my salty guns too, don't get me wrong. But I can only have so many different AKs and ARs.
>>
>>30060930
This shit is eternally hilarious

>9/11 America attacked by hillbilly rebels
>housing market crash
>Amerifats full blown PTSD
>>
>>30060952
Why don't you go attend a rock concert in Paris.
>>
>>30060952
To be fair, we have an inept president fueling racial tensions by demonizing Christianity and the white man, while peddling globalism and opening our borders. Trump and Trump supporters are viewed as racist, while attacks on these people are painted as "protests". This on top of countries refusing to accept US dollars as payments, while China buys up gold and silver... and we have closed down, and literally irradiated our own mines, and introduced digital and paper gold, giving people the illusion of excess resources. On top of that, we're pushing for WW3 and fucking shit up in the middle east again, while taking in refugees from the countries we've been destroying.

Be it warranted or not, a lot of Americans are on edge, and there are a number of events that could tip someone over... and sadly, Obama would be smiling that crooked smile as he gets to play martial law.
>>
>>30060964
They do have some pretty hardcore pyrotechnics...
>>
>>30060975
Yeah it was a pretty explosive perf-
>200+ innocent young frogs with their whole lives ahead of them will never eat a baguette again

I'm done ;-;
>>
>>30060972
>Just the president

b. HUSSEIN obama (osama) isn't the only thing fueling it. Remember he was elected by popular vote. It's the schools, the colleges, the media, all pushing this narrative that's starting to actually explicitly state it's goals. Neutering the western powers, and literal white genocide. All so another empire may rise in its place, something the useful idiots don't understand.
>>
>>30061056
Trust me, I'm aware of the Zionist agenda.
>>
>>30061069
Zionist?! No! i-its the NWO!! Illuminati! The freemasons!!!! White Anglo-Saxons!
>>
>>30061087
None of those people are the richest families in the world. Follow the money. It isn't even conspiracy at the point. These families literally own the world, so who else do you blame when the world is destroying itself?
>>
>>30060810
Gun laws are the less strict now than they were in the 80s and 90s.
>>
>>30061110
Tell that to Cali and New York. Nevada has universal background checks on the horizon, too.
>>
>>30061100
Anti-semite! Racist! White supreeeme!!!!
>>
File: 1462470709370.jpg (38 KB, 431x282) Image search: [Google]
1462470709370.jpg
38 KB, 431x282
>>30061162
Check my amendments, bro.
>>
>>30060861
was it registered in the united states in 1986 or before?

no? It's banned except to law enforcement and dealers as a demo piece
>>
>>30061183
>Not knowing they build new receivers and barrels to circumvent this law

Makes it a new firearm. Are you new here? No offense.
>>
>>30060849
This is true as far as modern military surplus goes. Real select fire M16s and M4s will never be available to the general public until the MG ban goes away.
>>
>>30061110
Where aside from things revolving around CC'ing?
Fuck the Hughes amendment, and fuck import restrictions
>>
>>30060842
There's still neat things floating around gun trading groups (or were, until normiebook took them down.)
I got a vz2008 for $400 just 6 months ago
>>
>>30060952
sand niggers =/= hillbillies
>>
>>30060838
Keltek.

They're wonderful at that. I would love to see them expand though.

>>30060810
The culture is still there. We just need cool, cheap guns again. 10/22s and the various hunting rifles around its price range are alright, but they don't have any of the personality cheap guns like milsurp did several years ago. For it to be like it used to, they need to start putting out sub 250 dollar cheap guns that aren't DURR GUNS and 22s.

I don't think Obama killed gun culture. I think there just happened to be a culture shift in the community with milsurp drying up. Gun culture is as strong as ever.

What does /k/ think?
>>
>>30061735
>What does /k/ think?
I should buy a riot shield.
>>
>>30061735
But 95% of gun owners today don't even know how their guns work. You'd be amazed if you ask people questions about their ARs, how little they know. Most people don't even know the barrel length or gas system. Gun culture is ignorant and based on fear now.
>>
>>30061765
...It's always been like that. You're acting like car culture isn't like that. Most people into car culture barely know anything either. It's just something to show off to their buddies and throw money at.

Gun culture is pretty similar, but with the added layer of fear.
>>
>>30060838
There are tons of neat old fudd guns that you can see at the collector-oriented gun shows, but unfortunately the prices on those have risen. It used to be that a Winchester Model 12 was cheap and still better than most any modern pump. Now a lot of those old fun guns are collector's items.

It also used to be that the ONLY way to make a gun was with machined steel and wood, so many neat and interesting guns were made on such a scale that the prices were reasonable. Now most of the milled-steel designs are gone because it's cheaper to make everything out of polymer and castings. Most of the ones that are left are either collectible or luxury pieces.

Milsurp used to be a great way to get a solid, classic action for a good price.

My old gunsmithing books ~1950s are full of info for turning old Mausers into custom deer rifles. Those rifles were so cheap and plentiful people just bought them for their actions.

>>mfw you will never know the golden age of American gunmaking...19th century--1964
>>
>>30060810
>Where did all of the variety go?
>NFA
>GCA
>Hughes amendment
>Various scattered import bans, china, russia, ect.

It's a wonder we can still buy any guns at all.
>>
>>30061735
>Under $250
Thanks to inflation, $250 in 1980 dollars is over $500 today. People get hung up over arbitrary price thresholds instead of comparing with constant dollars, which combined with corporate vampirism explains why so many companies' QC has gone straight to hell.
>>
Variety has gone down the drain because everybody acts like the AR is the only 5.56 rifle available and worth buying. Any rifle that doesn't resemble the AR is automatically considered crap/not worth buying by the gun community.
Seriously, look around the web. When someone asks an opinion about a 5.56 that, God forbid,is not an AR literally everybody starts whining: "Get an AR instead!" "Muh aftermarket" " It doesn't look like an AR so it wont handle well!".
In the end, it's the fault of YOU,the gun community, if we don't have much variety.
>>
File: 5396047660542.jpg (22 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
5396047660542.jpg
22 KB, 480x360
>>30060810
>Obummer
Oh, is that an omnibus term for Reagan, Carter, Bush Sr., and Clinton? Interesting.
>>
>>30062883
This
I hate Obama but he's nothing compared to the progress anti-gunners made starting in the late seventies up to GW Bush
>>
>>30062871
>>30062883
^^
>>
I wonder how much of /k/ went out and voted in 04, 08, and 12.
>>
>>30060842
>>30060838
>there's just no demand anymore for interesting or unique firearms.
>I just don't understand how the collective gun culture tanked so fast.
The demand is there, but so are import restrictions. Getting around them usually means reducing a firearm to a kit.
It's a question of availability and economics, when there are reasonable quality firearms cheaply available (AR, AK, VZ, ect) it becomes difficult to sell oddball things to anyone except collectors who make up a fairly small piece of the market.
>>
>>30062871
>Implying any modern non-AR 5.56 doesn't have some kind of glaring flaw not found in an AR
Mini-14s are unreliable as fuck.
SCAR-16s are heavy, expensive, and have a reciprocating charging handle.
ACRs got rekt by Shrubmaster.
Bullpups are a niche market.

The AR has two "quibbles", the buffer tube and charging handle position, but those are really up to personal opinion, and there are variants that "fix" them.
>>
>>30061735
>What does /k/ think?
I need to learn to brew my own barleywine from scratch. Posthaste.
>>
>>30064307
>SCAR-16s are heavy, expensive, and have a reciprocating charging handle.
" It doesn't look like an AR so it wont handle well!"
>Bullpups are a niche market
"Get an AR instead!"
>The AR has two "quibbles"and there are variants that "fix" them
"Muh aftermarket"
That's exactly the problem I pointed out in my original post.
>>
>>30061746
I totally want one. I thought about making a spaced shield out of two pieces half inch steep and mounting wheels to it for home for in case someone tries to raid my house. Mount one of my old SKSs to the side and set it so I can aim it with a mirror and fire it from behind the shielding.

I even went as far as drawing up a design to take tannerite and buckshot and create some kind of reactive anti personal armor plating. My original design had it set to be just 4 inches less wide than my long ass hallway so that I couldn't be out flanked.

>>30064707
Me and my buddies back in school got bored and made prison wine in the back of the toilet using cafeteria ingredients
>>
>>30065086
Well then I got another little mindfuck for you: pretty much all current 5.56 rifles in service that aren't AR-10/15 are modified AR-18s.
>>
>>30066045
The ar180 is so underated
>>
>>30064307
>SCAR-16s are heavy
????
>>
If sbr and suppressors were off nfa so many new opportunities would open for cool shit.

None of these bastard importers have even tried to import dragunovs, any of the Asian rifles, or famas. I can only assume they're playing the overpriced ar fashion game
>>
>>30067510
The ar-18 gas system is underrated; the ar-18 itself as a whole is not very good compared to others.
>>
>>30062883
Okay, old-timer. We're not reminiscing that far back, I'm sure the days of $2 blackpowder guns were awesome, but don't like Obama's executive orders and flase flag attacks go without responsibility.
>>
>>30064307
>AR
>Mini-14s are unreliable as fuck.
Based on personal feelings and anecdotes

>SCAR-16s are heavy, expensive, and have a reciprocating charging handle.

Only issue there is price. You could have mentioned the grip and stock situation because weight and the charging handle are non issues

>ACRs got rekt by Shrubmaster.
Valid

>Bullpups are a niche market.
Yet still stout enough to have several new bullpups hitting the market with plenty of demand. Price is the factor there, not the niche.

You left out several guns including the G series guns, daewoos, ar180s, the ARX160, the Rx4, various 5.56 AK variants, the Sig rifles, Remington's 7xxx rifle, and a number of other guns.

What the AR has over all of those designs is a lower price and a very well ironed out design that's readily available. Sure it has excellent after market, great ergos and modularity but those things matter a lot less than having piles of the things on the market.
>>
>>30068580
Media, both the new and the social variety has a lot more to do with that than any shit Obama can spew. either of us could make up some horseshit conspiracy and run it through meme generator and it would have 50,000 share by the end of the week. Facebook is all the research a lot of people ever do for fucks sake
>>
>>30069093
You don't have to spew anything when you can just pass executive orders and create tensions between nations limiting trade.
>>
>>30061123
>Nevada
Fucking Christ, califags need to die with thier state. THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE /k/'s OUTER HEAVEN
>>
>>30068540
I wonder how it would do to make a shop and start pumping them out. Aren't they mostly pressed steel?
>>
>>30060810
>>30069045
Firearms became a mature technology. There isn't anything else beyond ergonomics and aesthetics to really quibble about, gas trap systems died because they were based around a flawed idea so they were phased out, direct impingement gave way to the Stoner system or was at the very least refined into it, the Garand system was great for the time but shows it's age, short stroke and long stroke piston designs have been refined to the point of again ergonomics and aesthetics, roller locks are neat but doesn't have the weird factor of old guns. Slap a wood stock or get novelty for the sake of novelty like the repro sturmgewhers, most ideas have been a rightful evolutionary dead end.
>>
>>30060810
The AR, AKA king of scary guns, is the most popular US rifle for 2 reasons: its reputation (politicians hate it/media exposure) and its adaptability (read: aftermarket saturation).

The closest thing I can relate it to is the bolter. It's not the most powerful (lol 223) or reliable (lasgu-AK74) and its performance is equivalent to many other weapons (literally any semiautomatic carbine). However, there's religious orders dedicated to it (arfcom, magpul, NATO) and literally hundreds of variants (pick a manufacturer/upper). Ammo is fairly easy to acquire (Walmart) and there's more accessories than any other weapon (RAILZ).
>>
>>30060838
There is more demand now than there has ever been.
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.