[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /k/, first time gun buyer here. I'm from California,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: Marlin60.png (71 KB, 699x201) Image search: [Google]
Marlin60.png
71 KB, 699x201
Hey /k/, first time gun buyer here. I'm from California, trying to start a collection while the gettin's good. I'm from /pol/ so I have faith in the future of the 2nd. I read the sticky, and I'm pretty sure the Marlin Model 60 is the one I want. But I hear a lot about the Ruger 10/22. Thoughts? I'm trying not to fall for any memes here, and I don't have a lot of cash
>>
What are you looking to do with your gun? And what is your budget?
>>
>>30037925
Both are going to be fine. That said, a tube Model 60 doesn't have a detachable magazine, which is something that may be hard to find more of if people get into a gun panic.
>>
>>30037946
Budget is, eh, $300 at the most. My first gun, as I've read on here, is for practicing marksmanship (my brother is a marine so he can help me there), and .22s have cheap and plentiful ammuntion if I've read correctly. So plinking pretty much. I'll get "cool" guns later after a handgun which is next.
>>
>>30037961
Get a sub-$200 air rifle. They are much cheaper to shoot than a 22LR and much less prone to people buying the entire stock in a panic.

Sub $200 isn't much for a good air rifle, but will get you something name brand and sufficiently accurate.
>>
>>30037925

I understand why people all recommend a 10/22 or similar for a first gun, but honestly, I can't do it.

Get a gun you like, something that appeals to you. There are no meme guns as long as you like em.

I still don't have a 10/22 (or any .22), although am thinking about a take-down because they are cool as fuck. My first gun was a .35 Rem Marlin 336. Expensive as fuck and hard to find ammo, kicks like a bitch, but it's still my favorite rifle bar-none.

Good "cheap" guns: Used Glocks, 10/22, Marlin 60, Mosin-Nagant, SKS, Remington 870, Mossy 500, Smith and Wesson M&Ps, really almost anything. Just stay away from Taurus and Kel-Tec for a first gun and you'd be hard pressed to go wrong.
>>
>>30037925
both are good guns but id rather have a few 10-25 round mags over a single tube mag.
>>
>>30038054

I should correct myself- I can recommend a 10/22, I just wouldn't blanket it as the "best first gun". If you want to hunt or do cowboy action, it's a pretty dumb choice.
>>
>>30038054
thanks for the tip bro. here's a question: I see Nagant and SKS on threads here a lot, but if you google them, all you get is ebay links for the most part. are they just rare?

>>30038067
Nah, more like a 'practice' gun to get me out to the range on the cheap and start a collection.
>>
>>30038106
1: Not rare in the slightest, just cheap, and can shoot cheap(used to be cheap at least) surplus communist bloc ammunition.
2: If you're looking for "practice gun" I have to recommend a 22 of some sort, and either a Marlin 60, a Ruger 10/22, or a Savage Mark II will suit you just fine. These last two often have youth stocks, be sure to get one that's the kitted out with the appropriate size stock.
>>
>>30038147
That's really good to hear, I hope they shoot as good as they look. Thanks for your help bro, I think I'm gonna go with the Marlin still just because of the price. Thanks for the tip about the stock also.

One final question: is it better to buy online or just walk into a store? I have no idea how the buying process works, especially in CA
>>
>>30037961
>300 dollar marksmanship trainer.
>aka Liberty Training rifle

>marlin 579, $159.99 @ basspro shop
>gi sling, $14.00 on amazon
>tech sights, $69.90 @their web sight.
>spen the rest on ammo
done
>>
>>30038054
I haven't shot one, but I've been impressed with the quality of Savage's Mark II bolt-action .22's. They are very solidly built and the triggers are excellent (far better than a 10/22). The prices are very good and would easily fit your budget.

Bolt actions tend to be very accurate, are very easy to clean (and unlike semi-auto .22's don't get very dirty in the first place.) They aren't picky about ammo either.
>>
>>30038301
for got to add

Find your nearest appleseed project and sign up for their next course.
>>
>>30038195
Unfortunately, they usually do not. Don't expect more than 4 MOA at best out of a Nagant, and similar from an SKS.

For someone new to the process, go to the store. You'll get a feel for the guns, and SHOULDN'T buy at the first store you go to.

Shop around, see the inventory, check out the prices, etc. Stores will also have way more info about the CA buying process.
At minimum you'll need to fill out a 4473, sections 1-17.
Preview of that found here.
https://www.atf.gov/file/61446/download
>>
>>30038301
did you mean 795? I remember looking at the specs on that one, just didn't see it in the sticky so i disregarded it. thank you though, capped for reference. Project Appleseed noted, I'm about 1hr from Sac so that's doable.

>>30038338
thank you for that, seriously. I have 3 or so gun shops in town including bass pro, so I'll take my time browsing. Saved that link too. You guys are awesome.
>>
>>30038310
>Savage's Mark II

I had one and sold it: I fucking hate myself for having sold it because that rifle was perfect.

Now all I have as far as .22s go is my Marlin M60, and it gets annoying to use because of the fucking cheek piece that's too big for me to comfortably use the iron sights.
>>
>>30038374
yes the 795

my bad.
>>
>>30037925
>>30038195
1. Go to the store and pick out gun.
2. Take safety test and pass.
3. Fill out DROS and ATF paperwork.
4. Either pay for gun + DROS fee then or when you pick up your gun after waiting period.
5. Wait ten 24 hour periods.
6. Do a safety and handling check.
7. Go home with new gun.
>>
>>30038449
fucking 10 days??? jesus it's like we don't even want to protect ourselves. this fucking state i swear. thank you much for the info
>>
I might get shit for this, but a Hi-Point carbine is a fine, if ugly, choice for a first gun.

Shoots reliably, is cheap, ammo likewise, has detachable mags at modest cost, they have a great warranty, are tough as hell, and shoot accurately enough to be good for practice.
>>
>>30038528
And illegal in CA.
>>
>>30038528
Hi-points are illegal in CA? The mags aren't "high" capacity if I recall... and they don't have "assault" features... what gives?
>>
>>30038779
Not on the handgun list.

Yeah its retarded.
>>
>>30038779
Pistol grip and detachable mags.
>>
>>30038805
>>30038817

Kee-rist... I knew it was bad, but I never knew it was just That Badâ„¢ for my neighbors to the South.
>>
>>30037925
As a /k/omrade of color I don't think your dumb racist ass should have a gun but it's your right buy as much as you can.
>>
>>30037925
normally i'd recommend the 10/22.
but with the new gunpocylapse and its big push plus whatever the fuck will follow it, the 10/22s detachable mag may not be good.
go for the Model 60 if you intend on staying in CA for the next 5 years or more.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.