[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so, I've been thinking about this for awhile. I know that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: M16A2-2.jpg (66 KB, 400x273) Image search: [Google]
M16A2-2.jpg
66 KB, 400x273
so, I've been thinking about this for awhile. I know that the Army National Guard and Reserves have a shit ton of M16A2's still in service and I've been thinking of how to make them still usable but for less than the cost of buying a new upper or complete rifle.

the biggest thing that I can think of is removing the solid stock and replacing it with a 4 or 6 position collapsible stock(helps immensely when wearing body armor). second would be to install a rail on the bottom of the hand guard through the holes that are already there( there are some units that currently do this), this would be used for a VFG. third would be to install a rail mount through the front sight post in order to mount IR laser aiming devices. Most units already have red dots (aimpoints) and the necessary goosenecks to mount them securely. I had though of changing the flash hider but the average cost for effective flash hiders would tip the scale for the budget IMO. I am trying to think of what suitable scope to use in place of a ACOG or M145. something that has around a 4x-6x that can be mounted onto the carrying handle but won't sit as high. particularly from someone that the DOD already has contracts with(discounts and ease of logistics).

what do you guys think?
>>
A brand new m4 cost the government something like $400. It's probably cheaper to just buy new carbines.

All the NG/AR units that do use m16a2 are not line units and could get away with using muskets from the revolutionary war.

t. guardsman
>>
>>30025972
You do not realize how cheap the Army buys M4's and the manpower involved in modifying existing weapons, there is a reason older weapons are given away/sold to "allied" groups rather than upgrading them.
>>
>>30025972
if you are issued an a2 and have to use it, somebody fucked up

if a ANG or reserves unit deploys, they almost always get brand new M4s anyway
>>
>>30026005
the whole idea is for the kit to cost less than $200.

most of what I listed was would come out to less than $100 retail let alone with the discounts they normally get.

it's supposed to be a cheaper alternative for states with severe budget constraints. that way they can still be combat effective but for less cost.

Also, soldiers in the NG tend to get thrown around the state like barrack whores on a friday night. if the state has a unit scheduled to deploy, they will literally pull troops from anywhere in the state, same with equipment if its available and if the CO of the deploying unit isn't an ass (we got denied M4's and M9's on my last trip for this exact reason).
>>
>>30026011
man power is nothing, last trip, I got tasked with installing rails onto our handguards for VFG's for our A2's for my my platoon. as for the stock swap, the company armourer can do this with assistance. I was in long enough to know that manpower is not an issue when your CoC has you spend most of your drills doing SHARP and suicide prevention training.

>>30026018
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! yeah, no. ANG depends on what's available in the states arsenal that's not being used, If the CO was respectable when requesting it. And what's in your state also depends on their budget to the NG. Air Force national guard eats up A LOT of it. same with if your state is mechanized and even worse if it has any Abrams in their inventory.
>>
>>30026018
How bad are the A2s? I can imagine them being incredibly worn out, but this an old M249-jamming-every-few-rounds issue or is it just a case of the rifling being almost all gone and the paint chipping off everywhere.

They use the same magazines as the M4, so its not like thats an issue.
>>
>>30026187
honestly, they are not that bad. they're definitely not new. the lowers almost always need a rebuild. last time I went over whe used A2's from 1989. last fired in 1998. then put in storage. we had to got through every single one(something like 350 rifles). every single one had to get the trigger pack rebuilt, several got new bolts, new firing pins, new bolt carriers etc. etc. All had some form of rust on them. this was back in 2010. It was also the first time that Company had deployed since the 90's(not the soldiers mind you, but the colors)
>>
>>30026187
They can fire live rounds alright, but they'll still jam relatively frequently. God help you if you're firing blanks in those motherfuckers.
>>
>>30026330
>every single one had to get the trigger pack rebuilt, several got new bolts, new firing pins, new bolt carriers etc. etc. All had some form of rust on them

Sounds incredibly labour intensive, but honestly speaking, I´m a britbong so Im not 100% familiar with the intricacies of this sort of thing.
>>
>>30026433
>basic trigger 101 (for non britbong rifles)
Remove two pins, shake out crap
insert trigger, spring, and pin.
Hammer, spring and pin.
Don't fuck it up
Test
Next.
>>
>>30026187
Someone posted one here held together by tape
>>
>>30025972
ATF/FBI bait thread.

I thought you guys had to pass basic IQ requirements at FLETCH..?
>>
>>30026667
you forgot the sear and what not for the burst element.

>>30026187
>>30026711
I had the misfortune of breaking in several literally brand new M249 SAW's. on the first time to the range about 3 out of every 5 would puke the feed paws from the cover out the side, but after about 3 months of using them twice a week, they finally broke in and stopped having issues. temperamental bastards.
>>
>>30026133
for overseas combat deployments? Last time my territory's ang got sent to the stan, they got brand new M4s and OCP kit like every other active duty unit.
>>
>>30026785
( He said basic....)
>>
>>30026967
it is basic, for an M16A2.
>>
>>30025972
Most of these rifles in non-line units don't get fired except for zeroing and qualification once a year anyway, so they shouldn't be beat to shit. That being said zeroing and qualification probably takes these fuckers all day and several more than the army standard 49 rounds to zero and qual.
>>
>>30026931
>>30026931
This was in 2010/11 to Iraq. I also got to meet with the 4 star general in charge of equipping U.S. forces for all of Iraq. He was none to pleased when he learned that we had deployed with M16's and no M9's. and by that I mean he looked like he was about to have an aneurysm, like I had just told him I raped his dog and killed his wife. He was pissed.

I was supposed to go to Afganiland back in like 13ish, buuuuuuut, leadership for the state I was in fucked up big time (incompetence) and managed to get the state pulled from rotation. three companies got stood down.

>>30027372
somewhat. most of the guns are from before desert storm. Almost all of them can't hit the broad side of a barn from ten feet away. Unfortunately they always under draw ammo for range qual. so, usually you only get 3-5rnds to confirm zero, if it's still good, move to qual. if not then it's 3rnds at a time until you do. basically the whole deal is a cluster fuck.
>>
>>30027511
If you were supposed to go to Kandahar you thankfully did not miss too much. But it would have sucked less if we had more people
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.